1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thrash Metal

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Dityn DJ James, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Dityn DJ James

Dityn DJ James A coma stole my name.

On behalf on @SixesAlltheway and countless other members here, I wanted to start a thrash metal thread. This is a place to discuss the origin of the subgenre, its progression throughout the 80's and 90's to today, and your favorite thrash metal bands, albums, and songs. Thrash metal, and it's counterpart speed metal, largely originated from the NWOBHM movement. Bands like Venom, Motörhead, and Satan laid down rough cuts of heavy metal and fused it with the blistering speed of hardcore punk to create something the world of heavy metal hadn't quite seen before:

Throughout 1983 and 1984, bands like Metallica, Slayer, Razor, and countless others picked up on the base work of what the bands from the NWOBHM crafted. Countless classic albums were released in 1983 and 1984: Kill 'Em All, Heavy Metal Maniac, In the Sign of Evil, the Bathory s/t, Metal Church, etc.. It wasn't until 1985 that Razor, Kreator, Sodom, Exodus, Overkill, and dozens of others debuted. 1985 was that year that truly kick started thrash metal, even though the subgenre had existed before that point. 1986, 1987, and all the years that followed would see immense releases from all corners of thrash metal.

Bands came and went during this time, some bands expanded their sound, while other simplified it to reach a bigger audience. All in all though, thrash metal is one of my favorite subgenres of heavy metal and here are a few of my favorites:

SixesAlltheway likes this.
  2. SixesAlltheway

SixesAlltheway Yacht Rock

Excellent intro post @Dityn DJ James!

I've noticed a lot of love for the American thrash band Vektor here recently so just a heads up to check out this Swedish band as well. if you love Vektor you'll love this too...from 2011...Forbidden World...

3. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

Not mentioning Exodus in an opening thread about Trash? *Deducts a few points from excellence.* :D
    Exodus has had some bad luck. It started already with their first album:

4. SixesAlltheway

Yo, It's fucking impossible to mention the be all and end all of thrash in one post and @Dityn DJ James specifically said he would just name his faves....that said though...It ain't about no goldfish...

Dityn DJ James likes this.
  5. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

"Be all and end all of trash"? Who asked for that?

My point is, naturally, that Exodus is one of the most important bands to mention, if you're gonna list just a few. And definitely when more than a few are mentioned.

The opening post does not just mention favourites (that only happened in the end). He clearly gave a short history of the beginning of the genre.

6. SixesAlltheway

Alright? Great! So @Dityn DJ James starts a thread that doesn't feature your ONE best thrash band of all time.

Perhaps you can introduce that band in the conversation better than just calling everyone else out? This is about listening to music nothing else....

7. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

Hey you called out first for not understanding my input. But carry on.

8. Dityn DJ James

Although it was brief, I did mention them in my original post @Forostar :D. I've only heard an album or two from Exodus, but this is one of my favorite thrash metal songs (Currently my third most played in iTunes actually):

Proof (and no I don't share my iTunes with someone else :innocent:):

[​IMG]

9. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

Looks like I completely overlooked that.

The blame is entirely mine. My apologies.

Will listen to Satan soon.

Dityn DJ James likes this.
  10. SixesAlltheway

Forget it. With time, this will be a golden thrash thread :D

11. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

Would you guys mind if I would focus on some Dutch trash? I have opened a topic about Dutch metal from the eighties already (and mentioned some of which some can be seen as trash), but maybe it's better to share things over here.

12. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

I'm not being funny, but (since you've typed this three times now) is trash some sort of Thrash sub-genre?

13. SixesAlltheway

14. SixesAlltheway

The good Dutch thrash that I do know of,....

Forostar likes this.
  15. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

With some songs in mind to share I am not sure where to draw the border between fast heavy metal/speed/power/trash metal.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  16. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

I was being serious btw. Is trash (minus the H) not some sort of indie music sub-genre?

17. SixesAlltheway

18. Dityn DJ James

It's not @CriedWhenBrucieLeft hahahaha. I don't know much about Dutch thrash metal, but these guys are my favorite Danish metal band:

19. SixesAlltheway

Aw yeah...you know they have a new album out right?

20. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

I haven't looked it up, but I take it it's spelt without an H too then?