Things about Iron Maiden that annoy you

The absence of side projects from Dave Murray, Janick Gers (since he joined) and Nicko McBrain.
I agree with you, I also hope to see a side project or solo album from Nicko McBrain, Janick Gers, and Dave Murray. I know Nicko has his own band, McBrain Damage but he should release an album with his band.

The absence of side projects from Dave Murray, Janick Gers (since he joined) and Nicko McBrain.

Janick especially, imo. I don't think Dave has all that many creative flashes these days, and Nicko isn't known for being at the forefront of writing. Janick has been a steady contributor over the reunion era.

I dunno, I reckon Dave could throw out a decent soulful bluesy album. Maybe most of his writing just doesnt suit maiden. Although i suppose might have released something if that was the case. But aye, something from Janick is what id most like to hear

Janick especially, imo. I don't think Dave has all that many creative flashes these days, and Nicko isn't known for being at the forefront of writing. Janick has been a steady contributor over the reunion era.

I think Dave is simply lazy (a lot of us are, no offense intended). However -and I said it before- I think he would be great playing blues, like John Norum (from Europe, also a flashy hard rock guitarist) did:

I think Dave is simply lazy (a lot of us are, no offense intended). However -and I said it before- I think he would be great playing blues, like John Norum (from Europe, also a flashy hard rock guitarist) did:
I think the lazy part's true for many of us and I'll throw myself in there for doing power point presentations at the last minute for part time jobs, though I usually perform well. I could always picture Dave doing a blues album, I think that would be awesome!

The 'whoa' stuff in The Red And The Black and also in Shadows Of The Valley. Not sure why, but I just find it annoying.

This has nothing to do with anything the band does but every time I wear a Maiden t-shirt, random people feel the need to comment on it.

Even though, about 50% of the time I hear "cool shirt" or "hey. . . I saw them in (year)" (which is all great) the other 50% of the time when it's negative comments by people who either know nothing about Maiden or don't like them for whatever reason piss me off.
Yes, I know exactly what you mean.
(Some) people comment on it with a bit of a smirk. It seems to me that this type of attitude is a form of musical snobbery.

Janick has been a steady contributor over the reunion era.
Mwah. Six songs on the last three albums. Two songs per 4 or 5 years (over the last twelve years: 2004-2015).

No Prayer: 0
Fear: 5
TXF: 7
VXI: 1
BNW: 4
DOD: 3
AMOLAD: 2
TFF: 2
BOS: 2

He still didn't write more in the reunion era (5 albums) than in the nineties (4 albums): both 13 songs each.

Totally, he isnt competing with the Holy Trinity of Songwriters in terms of quantity but he always has more/better songs than Dave and when a new album is announced, Gers is the name I look for first in the credits. Maybe these days 'arry just gives Dave a token credit to increase his royalty cheques; Hawaii aint cheap....

I prefer Dave as a lead guitarist, but Janick is definitely my preferred songwriter. My ratings on songwriting, Janick vs. Dave:

Dave Reunion (8 songs) - 8.2/10
Janick Reunion (13 songs) - 9.2/10

Dave 90s (6 songs) - 7.6/10
Janick 90s (13 songs) - 6.0/10

Dave All-Time (19 songs) - 7.4/10
Janick All-Time (26 songs) - 7.6/10

That's quite telling of their songwriting ability, considering one of those guys had 7 more albums-worth of opportunities and 7 less credits to his name.

Last edited:
I rate his reunion efforts more highly than Dave's.
I do not. Not in general at least. Let's see how I rank the 2000-2015 songs from these amigos. Janick wrote more 8's and 7's than Dave. When Dave came along it was mostly a 10 or 9. The best Dave songs compete very well with the best Janick songs, some do even better in my book (of songs). I regard these men as equals when it comes to quality.

01. The Man of Sorrows 10
02. Brave New World 10

03. Dance of Death 10
04. Ghost of the Navigator 10

05. The Alchemist 9
06. Rainmaker 9
07. Dream of Mirrors 9
08. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg 9
09.The Pilgrim 9
10. The Book of Souls 9

11. Age of Innocence 9
12. The Man Who Would Be King 9

13. Shadows of the Valley 8
14. The Mercenary 8
15. The Legacy 8

16. The Nomad 8
17. Gates of Tomorrow 8

18. The Thin Line Between Love and Hate 7
19. Montsegur 7
20. Out of the Silent Planet 7

21. The Talisman 5

Last edited:
Plus there are Adrian and Steve efforts that are excellent and others that are less than excellent in the reunion era. It comes across as quite hit and miss.

Everyone's got their favorites. I think Dave's reunion material has gone downhill with each album.

Just calculated my H ratings and Janick still comes out ahead in the reunion era for me.

I prefer Janick these days as a songwriter and a soloist. Prior to BNW it's probably the other way around.

Back