Things about Iron Maiden that annoy you

I understand that. I've never experienced anything more than passing comments, though. Someone saying, "Hey! Nice shirt! Hell yeah, Maiden!" while continuing to go about their business and leaving me to mine is much different from someone saying, "Hell yeah, Maiden! Hey, did you see that most recent tour? It was cool. I remember in 1997..."

I suppose if you wear any shirt with some sort of slogan, or prominent in-yer-face brand name or logo, people assume you're wanting to make a loud statement, broadcast the fact that this is something you're into, or part of an insular club. They think it's there to be commented on.

A Maiden logo tee, like an AC/DC, Metallica, Motorhead, Priest or Slayer one, has that link with trendy celebrity culture too. A squeaky-clean starlet wants to dress up as a rebel, she appears with messy hair, smokes a cigarette, wears a leather jacket, ripped jeans/fishnets and a tee for one of these bands. Retro 'classic' band chic, maybe.

As with Mr.K, I've mainly had positive comments and conversations starting with 'I was at Donington in whatever year'. I'm wary about wearing a Maiden tee in the town I live in, though, parents are very, very touchy about what their kids see. Police and shop security are terrible for following anyone who doesn't fit the leafy suburbs stereotype, too. :D

Depends on the actual shirt, too. Eddie clutching a freshly-extracted heart dripping with blood is a bit different to a plain 'Iron Maiden' logo. I've seen kids around here wear the plain AMOLAD logo one, that's quite innocuous and is a nice design. The NOTB design is probably the most fashionable outside of fanbase.

I like the folks who comment on my shirts, say they are "huge fans" and then ask what Book of Souls is and if they are still touring. :facepalm:

I've never really gotten comments beyond the "Iron Maiden rules!" stuff. Sometimes I'll meet people who were fans in the 80s and are curious about what they're currently up to. I agree with Brigs that it also depends on what is on the shirt. My Trooper shirt gets more attention than my TBOS (the one that came with the single) shirt, both because The Trooper is a more iconic image and it's a lot "louder" than the TBOS shirt.

There was one time where I had a meeting at a Catholic school about a class I was teaching and I hadn't realized I was wearing my NOTB shirt until I was on my way there. Luckily I noticed it before going in or that would've likely been my last day. :D

I own a single Maiden T-shirt (Brave New World) and I never got any reaction at all. In fact, I never got any reaction at all even when I was wearing my Cannibal Corpse Eaten Back to Life T-Shirt, not even with my Catholic friends. But then again, they know me already :D

I had a Maiden England 2013 shirt once and I got reprimanded, I got pushed around and pretty much everyone hated it. So I stopped wearing it. For the next few weeks after that, people would know as "the guy who wore that stupid shirt".

There was one time where I had a meeting at a Catholic school about a class I was teaching and I hadn't realized I was wearing my NOTB shirt until I was on my way there. Luckily I noticed it before going in or that would've likely been my last day. :D

This would have been amazing. Not in terms of career prospects, maybe.

I buy like 3-4 shirts every time I go to a show. I have a single drawer dedicated to my Maiden shirts. So to me it sounds like you all don't have enough or just have bad experiences wearing them. I usually only wear mine to concerts. Most recently I wore my Maiden shirt to the Alice in Chains concert, when I met the band Jerry Cantrell and Mike Inez both applauded my shirt. It was a Powerslave shirt with a Book of Souls theme.

I once hanged out just outside a mosque with a TNOTB shirt and a Killers bag. Nothing happened, maybe it would've if they spoke English. :p

I've only had nice comments about the shirts I've worn as well. The amount of people in my generation in my home town who loved metal and played instruments was quite big, especially considering how conservative my town was. I actually enjoyed people who came up and started having conversations with me about the band a lot and it's something I miss nowadays.

I used to wear my Maiden shirts/swag nearly every day back in my high school & early college days, but I find them too garish for my tastes/age now (even though Maiden is my favorite band). If I wear a band shirt, it's usually something more subtle like a Tool, Pink Floyd, or Nine Inch Nails shirt.

I used to wear my Maiden shirts/swag nearly every day back in my high school & early college days, but I find them too garish for my tastes/age now (even though Maiden is my favorite band). If I wear a band shirt, it's usually something more subtle like a Tool, Pink Floyd, or Nine Inch Nails shirt.

Well, the fact that everything must be so garish and that they put such emphasis on the zombie mascot... might be a "thing about Iron Maiden that annoys me".

Many teachers wear T-Shirts and shorts on the hot days. Its funny because if I wear a metal T-Shirt, a Maiden T-Shirt, a Doctor Who T-Shirt, or my Star Wars T-Shirt, they say nothing. However, if I wear my suit, tie, and fedora hat, they say "Oh my God, are you hot?" It gets very hot here sometimes but some days are not as hot as others so I dress professional when the hot weather is not so brutal. I often wear metal T-Shirts towards Halloween.

Back