These Colours Don't Run

How good is These Colours Don't Run on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
By the way, I stumbled across this image:

Inter+City+Firm.jpg

I guess the older guard of Englishmen on the forum know what it's about. For the others: ICF stands for Inter City Firm, a hooligan firm associated with West Ham United.

Re: Daily Song: These Colours Don't Run

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
A truly fantastic chorus. Haunting opening riff and includes one of my favourite ever guitar solos - Adrian's. Dave has also mentioned that this is his favourite solo of Adrian's on AMOLAD.

Sorry for the late reaction, I stumbled upon it, while being busy with the album ranking.
Anyway, I find this pretty cool info. If I may ask, where did you read, hear and/or seen that?
Thanks in advance!  :ok:

Eddies Wingman said:
By the way, I stumbled across this image:

etc...

Great find. Weird coincidence, because West Ham clearly has a connection with Maiden as well.

I voted 7 awhile back, but I wish I'd given it a 9.

Great verses, simple but brilliant lyrics, amazing bridge and solos, and a "whoa oh oh" part. Killer tune.

I'd say the arrngement has some flows.I can'tfind a bad section in this one.It is that in a typical Steve style some parts could be less repetitive

I guess this is quite a controversial opinion, but I don't see anything special in this song. The intro sounds is not particular interesting, Bruce seems strained through out the song, the chord progression is not so exciting. Of course the lyrics are good, but there are better lyrics on other Maiden songs, and the same thing about the solos, good solos but average for Maidens standard. The harmony in the end is good, but the same thing there, I've heard better.

As a album track it's okay, I usually don't skip it as I think it works great in the context of the album of war, religion, life and death topics. As a stand alone track on the other hand, I can't say I listen too if often.

6/10

I gave it a solid 8. The opening is very emphatizing, if you close your eyes and think about the ships in Normandy beach the atmosphere is awesome. The only part that leaves me with a little disappointment is the bridgem too slow and repetitive, IMO a better change of tempo is needed.

This album has a ton of really great things going on. Maiden wastes no time getting to the real meat of the album with a song that probably encapsulates the whole musical and lyrical concept of AMOLAD the best out of them all. The way it builds up is haunting. The best part of the song has to be the instrumental section, with two excellent guitar solos from Adrian and Dave, and a very cool riff underneath. There's a very chaotic sound to it all, which fits the subject matter nicely.

Love this track. It actually reminds me quite a lot of growing up, the uncertainty of having someone in your family in the military. You never really know what's going to happen. This was driven home on September 12th, 2001. My old man was deployed to Afghanistan in the wake of 9/11 as part of the naval contingent. You just never know.

9/10.

Absolutely loved this when I heard it first though it's worn off a little. I don't think it's Bruce's best moment (on the album anyway) and not keen on the plodding instrumental between the chorus and solo which seems to bog it all.down.

Nevertheless it's a brutal, aggressive song and I love the chorus. I also like the moral ambiguity of the lyrics. I'm not an expert but something about the tempo and timing of the song sounds quite unique for Maiden. Can't quite put my finger on it and that's part of its charm

Very good track. The intro is beautiful, and then all hell breaks loose. Love the change from the chorus into the instrumental section. Adrian's solos is great, Dave's is average. This is the song that really starts the album.

8/10

10/10

These Colours Don’t Run is where the magic begins. The melancholy riff and guitar melody slowly build, the calm before the storm of a swinging, crunchy verse. Told through the eyes of a soldier determined to stand tall in the wake of cold bloody war, it’s a mid-tempo romp with impeccable musicianship all around. A Matter of Life and Death finds the band hitting their peak lyric writing with stark, violent, and vaguely profound lines running throughout each song. Colours is one of the best, with a truly brilliant chorus lyric and lines like, “Paying for my freedom with your lonely unmarked graves.” Chilling stuff. The bridge here (and honestly, the bridges on the entire album) is phenomenal: each hit of the drums and bass sounding like a gunshot anchored by a strong melodic guitar line. Adrian shines again with another powerful solo, as well.

Another strong song, able to hold its own with the epics of the album despite only being around 7 minutes long. 9/10.

From now on, we don't get another track on the album that's shorter than 5 minutes, and I know how that can sound exhausting, but it really isn't. Love the satirical lyrics on this one (masquerading as a patriotic hymn while it's actually criticizing patriotism itself), and the instrumental evokes so many images of war to go along with that. The quiet intro somewhat reminds of many of the songs from Brave New World, which I like. The instrumental section (apart from the solos) becomes a little repetitive by the end, although it acknowledges that fast enough to stop before it gets boring. Overall, this is a 9.

Back