These Colours Don't Run

How good is These Colours Don't Run on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

It's the same in every country when you say you're leaving
      Left behind the loved ones waiting silent in the hall
      Where you're going lies adventure others only dream of
      Red and green light this is real and so you go to war

For the passion, for the glory, for the memories, for the money
            You're a soldier, for your country what's the difference, all the same

Far away from the land of our birth
            We fly a flag in some foreign earth
            We sailed away like our fathers before
            These colours don't run from cold bloody war

There is no one that will save you, going down in flames
      No surrender certain death you look it in the eye
      On the shores of tyranny you crashed a human wave
      Paying for my freedom with your lonely unmarked graves

(3:52 – Solo: Dave Murray)
      (4:32 – Solo: Adrian Smith)

Discuss...

Re: 'These Colours Don't Run'

This was one of the songs I had the most problem with at first. It took many listens to get into it, but after that...wow :D :ok: Bruce's lyrics have a way of planting images in your head while you listen to them which is really obvious (to me) in this song. Pure greatness!

Love this one. So much passion, and the pride of fighting for the colours of your country is such a wonderful one. One of the best on the album.

Blackened Pride said:
and the pride of fighting for the colours of your country is such a wonderful one.

I urge you to re-read the lyrics.

Perun said:

Heh, I'm not great with lyrics but that's what they seem to mean to me. 'Flying a flag in some foreign earth' 'These colours don't run from cold bloody war', it all seems to be about fighting for the flag. Is it meant to be ironic or something?

Think about those lines and then tell me if fighting for 'your' country is so wonderful.

Yeah I suppose it seems more like criticism of blind patriotism, and stubbornness in that respect just leading to you leaving behind your loved ones, who really matter, only to end up dead and not have the country you fought for actually care. Still an interesting concept. Great song.

Blackened Pride said:
Yeah I suppose it seems more like criticism of blind patriotism, and stubbornness in that respect just leading to you leaving behind your loved ones, who really matter, only to end up dead and not have the country you fought for actually care. Still an interesting concept. Great song.

That's a better summary of the song, indeed.

Perun said:

The song may not be advocating the kind of blind patriotism that was the norm before the Second World War, but it certainly praising soldiers throughout history, who have given their lives in the defence of their comrades, and their family.  The idea of dying for your country may not be a good one, but those who face such thoughts in their day to day lives, in aid of their country and friends, are certainly some of the bravest individuals on the planet.  As Bruce said, 'They are all heroes.  Every one of them'.

I also like the line 'What's the difference, all the same'.  It stresses that no matter what reason a soldier may have to join the army, he will end up fighting (and possibly dying) alongside men who have chosen their path for different reasons.  This song speaks, to me at least, of a strong sense of camaraderie...the idea that 'These colours will not run'...perhaps not so much fighting for your country (not anymore), but for your regiment (the colours probably being regimental colours)...who will be your closest friends in battle.

Raven said:
...who will be your closest friends in battle.

Your closest friend in battle is your gun, mate....

Maverick said:
Your closest friend in battle is your gun, mate....

"Tonight, you men will sleep with your rifles. You will give your rifle a girl's name because this is the only [censored] you people are going to get. Your days of finger-banging ol' Mary J. Rottencrotch through her pertty pink panties are over! You're married to this piece. This weapon of iron and wood. And you will be faithful."

Sadly, I think Kubrick probably got it more or less right...

Raven said:
Sadly, I think Kubrick probably got it more or less right...

He did get it right, believe me.

Maverick said:
He did get it right, believe me.

'If they run, they're VC!  If they stand still...they're well-disciplined VC!'

Okay, but enough of the Full Metal Jacket quotes.  I think that anyone who is willing to risk life and limb on a daily basis in the defence of others deserves all the praise we can give them-and this has been evidenced throughout Maiden's career, with songs like 'Paschendale', 'Aces High', 'The Longest Day' and 'The Trooper' offering a soldier's viewpoint, as opposed to the more detached views of battles offered by military textbooks and conservative commanders.  You can train a regiment until they can't drill anymore, but when they get into a combat situation, the slightest twinge of fear can bring it all down...after all, wars are not fought by 'troops', they are fought by 'people', and this is why I've always liked Maiden's war songs-they're personal and intimate, and show a humanitarian side to the idea of the military.

Raven said:
  As Bruce said, 'They are all heroes.  Every one of them'.

Heroes?Well, I don't know whether this is an appropriate term for soldiers...I don't think hero is the right title for someone to kill others for whatever reason.I don't think God would call them heroes either, would he?Man, I'm starting to talk like a preacher again...

Cosmiceddie said:
Heroes?Well, I don't know whether this is an appropriate term for soldiers...I don't think hero is the right title for someone to kill others for whatever reason.I don't think God would call them heroes either, would he?Man, I'm starting to talk like a preacher again...

The role of soldiers in modern warfare as changed drastically in the last 50 years.  This is especially true of the British armed forces, who (I do not doubt) Bruce had in mind when writing these lyrics.  Nowadays, British soldiers embrace roles more as peacekeepers than as fighters...thanks to modern combat methods, the average infantry is seeing less combat, and more patrolling...winning the 'hearts and minds' of the populace, as the SAS call it. 

The way I interpret this, especially the "what's the difference, all the same" is that every soldier has his/her own reasons, but in the end it's all the same - you fight because you have to wether you believe in the cause or not. It starts as one thing but in the end you fight to protect your mates and to not die yourself.
These colours don't run, I interpret as an old British expression from the Chrimean war and those days when war was more about heroism and a proper cause instead of unclear political causes that no-one really understands today. It's about pride in your regimental colours or courage in it's truest sense - I won't run away, since my mates are around me and they might need my protection or my help.

I'm not altogether sober but what the h... ^_^

Raven said:
The role of soldiers in modern warfare as changed drastically in the last 50 years.  This is especially true of the British armed forces, who (I do not doubt) Bruce had in mind when writing these lyrics.  Nowadays, British soldiers embrace roles more as peacekeepers than as fighters...thanks to modern combat methods, the average infantry is seeing less combat, and more patrolling...winning the 'hearts and minds' of the populace, as the SAS call it. 
I remember seeing what can only be described as one of the most shocking piece of news footage I've seen that was shot during the last Gulf war (or Iraq War). We had a camera crew that was following some US army soldiers. In this particular footage the US soldier had an Iraqi soldier cornered, the Iraqi was going nowhere as he was obviously injured (this you could not see as he was behind a wall, but you could hear his cries). The US soldier lent over that wall and pointed his rifle down and shot one bullet. He then turned to camera and just said two words "All gone".
Quite the heroic act of peace making.

Maybe this could be the difference between the way the US soldiers and British soldiers interpret a war.

Anomica said:
I'm not altogether sober but what the h... ^_^
Hmm, normally that is my excuse.

Perun said:
That's a better summary of the song, indeed.

I don't think I agree with you on that . .
I think this song is not about how we blindly go to die in the name of our country, but how we believe that (as our fathers did) we have a debt to pay and fighting for the honour of your nation is a matter of immense pride.

That line simply means that its the same sense of danger and pride that your friends and family feel towards you . . No matter what nation you're from, if you get called into active duty, the reaction from your loved ones will be the same!

Again, this shows nothing but the fearless nature of a soldier in the unforgiving terrain of war. As a soldier, you know what you may have to face, but you do not cower out . . You do what needs to be done!

Ah, the unknown soldier...
We all mourn him and respect his memory without ever really knowing him.
It's easier that way, don't you agree?

You're missing the first line here ..

Whatever your reason was for going into this battle, you're a soldier for your contry now and try as you may, you can't escape the sense of national pride and raw patriotism that comes with holding that title!
You lose all sense of fear with and realize that even in the face of "cold bloody war" ..  These Colors Don't Run . .

Also, I wanna point out how this song seems like the perfect fit for the album-cover-art!
A'least to me . .

Back