The Running thread

Personal Best :cheers:

Less than 3 weeks into my strides workout I finally had my first Personal Best after 519 days :D
Did a 15k run with a pace of 5:29/km (8:49/mi), previous one was 5:36/km which means down 7 seconds/km or 1min 45 seconds in the 15k which isn't too bad an improvement.

Had Painkiller playing plus my ASICS Metaspeed Sky on, a golden combination that gave me not one not two but 5 Personal Bests since May 2021. I'm thinking now to buy the Painkiller album in vinyl and have it somewhere in my room for inspiration :D

I missed that feeling when the run is over the PB is done and I go back home with that sense of accomplishment, feeling like a hero for the next few hours. 2022 was a particularly bad year with all those injuries, lock downs, quarantines and even extensive travelling.
Anyway, this is now behind, if I continue with this pace, I may down my "untouchable" 5k Personal Best (4:40/km) before the end of the year.

*Splits are mine but dashboard is that of my running partner, as I forgot the pause on and 800m of the run wasn't recorded, giving a 5:31 pace as a result instead.

Painkiller.jpg ASICS Metaspeed Sky.jpeg Splits.jpeg Running partner's dashboard.png

Running shoes release dates -2023 Calendar

Looking for Saucony Endorphin Speed 4 for my strides /speed runs and ASICS Novablast 4 for my recoveries /everyday runs. Timing is good, by August /September I’ll have more than 1,000km on my Nike Zoom Tempos & ACICS Novablast 3 and I could retire them.

At the age of nineteen he became the Macedon King
And he swore to free all of Asia Minor
By the Aegean Sea in 334 B.C
He utterly beat the armies of Persia

Usually I‘m retiring shoes at 666 km, but no need for those two; they are holding exceptionally well. And since Alexander the Great live is now done, 666 +334 =1000 km will my other official limit to retire shoes :D

Tori Bowie: American three-time Olympic medallist and ex-world champion dies aged 32

:(

Very sad. :(

I’m so excited, I started training for the half Marathon (actually 24k) end of August.
All my life suddenly changed to the better, I sleep early wake up early, eat well. I started a specific nutrition program with my nutritionist and also cross fit. My motivation for work has returned and I’m performing on top again and there are many moments during a day that I’m present in the moment and really happy.

Goal for the race will be sub 2 hours for the 21.1k distance and the rest in proportion, it’s about 2h10 with a target pace of 5:27min/km. I run an easy half Marathon on 04 June at 6:41 to test the waters. Feels doable. Below my training program for June.

Training plan.jpeg

I’m so excited, I started training for the half Marathon (actually 24k) end of August.
All my life suddenly changed to the better, I sleep early wake up early, eat well. I started a specific nutrition program with my nutritionist and also cross fit. My motivation for work has returned and I’m performing on top again and there are many moments during a day that I’m present in the moment and really happy.

Goal for the race will be sub 2 hours for the 21.1k distance and the rest in proportion, it’s about 2h10 with a target pace of 5:27min/km. I run an easy half Marathon on 04 June at 6:41 to test the waters. Feels doable. Below my training program for June.

View attachment 27762

Good luck!

I am currently trying to be back in form after a lower back injury four weeks ago and a dodgy knee (being an old fart is great!). Today I have managed to run 4.33 km in 20 minutes, so I am slowly getting there (objetive was 6.66 km in 30 minutes, but lack of form and the heatwave made it unachievable).

Let’s hope I will get better soon! :lol:

You are definitely a fast runner, 4:30min/km pace which is for both of the times you mentioned is a respectable pace. My PB in 5km was at 4:40 pace so you get the idea.

Bought a new pair of shoes, to replace my current daily trainers after they reach 800km. My new shoes are ASICS Superblast which is NOVABLAST 3 on steroids. They have an additional layer of foam and much lighter mesh.

They are very expensive at ~200$ which is huge for non plate shoes, but from the reviews I read are almost as good. I found the model I wanted the yellow colour to colour match 72 Seasons yeah!

Superblasts.jpeg Super vs Nova.jpeg Outsole.jpeg

You are definitely a fast runner, 4:30min/km pace which is for both of the times you mentioned is a respectable pace. My PB in 5km was at 4:40 pace so you get the idea.

Bought a new pair of shoes, to replace my current daily trainers after they reach 800km. My new shoes are ASICS Superblast which is NOVABLAST 3 on steroids. They have an additional layer of foam and much lighter mesh.

They are very expensive at ~200$ which is huge for non plate shoes, but from the reviews I read are almost as good. I found the model I wanted the yellow colour to colour match 72 Seasons yeah!

View attachment 27784 View attachment 27785 View attachment 27786

It didn’t feel fast running this morning, believe me! :lol:

I have a cheap pair of Nike running shoes (I think I paid less than £40 for them) but might need to get something better.

I know, you are no doubt talented. There aren’t many people I know who can easily do 7km at 4:17min/km pace. Or run a 4:30 in this age and not feel they run fast, talk mind boggling!

But if you run 2 -3 times a week I’d suggest to buy a better shoe, something in a region of ~120$ or more before discount. This is an investment, to protect your knees!

There is a really great shoe though for below 100$ which is the Reebok Floatride at ~80$

Each one has his preferences, I’m leaning more on ASICS and Saucony bands, for daily runs Novablast 3 and Saucony Endorphin Speed series for tempo /speed training.
If I had to buy only one shoe, Saucony Endorphin Speed 3 would be it. It’s currently at $100 In Amazon, maybe you should give a try in UK Shop.

Also Nike Pegasus series is a type of shoe that if one could only buy one, Pegasus would be it. Easy to find it has been on the Market for ~40 years and easy to find discounts. Though as usually the case with Nikes it’s a bit narrow.

ASICS Nimbus series, is the most comfortable shoe I’ve ever tried. I crave to buy the v.25 but there’s no justification yet.

Anyway, I’ll be happy to help when you decide to buy a new pair. You can check those sites for reviews:

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations, they are appreciated!

Finally managed to do 6.66 km in 30 minutes today. Once a Maiden fan, always a Maiden fan! :lol:

On a different note (i.e. seeing people run instead of doing it myself), just over a month until the London Diamond League. It would be my first time attending an athletics event in a stadium!

PERSONAL BEST equaliser 4:40min/ km -FULL CIRCLE :edmetal:

I found yesterday this pace calculator from Runners World and wanted to re-validate my paces. Up to now I had my paces calculated for a 10k time of 51 minutes since my Personal Best of 48:50 was from 1 1/2 year ago.

I went out for a run wanted to do a "casual" sub 5 pace 5k. Last time I achieved something like that was on June 14 last year, at 4:58min/km pace. I never did anything sub 5 since then.

Last night I inspected my beloved ASICS Metaspeed Sky (I was planning to run the coming 24k race with them) but realised the outsole is not in a serious shape.

outsole.jpeg 29 May 2021.jpeg pace analysis 30 June 2023.jpeg 30 June 2023 start :end point.jpeg

So I decided to do my "run goodbye" with the ASICS today and start wearing the Nike Vaporflies 2 for my speed work and up to the race on August 27th.
In preparation for the run, I crafted a playlist of songs such as
Faith No More -Be Aggressive
Placebo -Every You, Every Me
Megadeth -Tornado of Souls
Deep Purple -Perfect Strangers
Metallica -Whiskey in the Jar and
Judas Priest -The Sentinel (3 times in a row)
Those were for my warm up, just after the mighty Sentinel, Painkiller album would play in full.

The run.
I had forgotten what means to run what would be proven to be a 4:40min/km pace (my watch was showing a ~4:55 pace the whole time!!) but I must admit I didn't want to die as much I wanted to die on 29 May 2021. That day was the first time I was wearing those shoes for a 5k and second overall.

So here I am in a full circle, I started and ended ASICS Metaspeed Sky with a Personal Best in 5k at 23:15.

My fresh, validated paces are:

Paces.png

Went for a short run (5.16 km in 22 minutes) this morning before the back-to-back Maiden shows this weekend. I hope I do not end up paying the price! :lol:

Pay the price that you didn't run 6.66? :D

:lol: :lol:

Thankfully, that was not the case. I had a blast at both shows (standing with some mates on Friday night and seated on the second night with my better half and our daughter).

Today I have done my season’s best for a 30 minute run (6.85 km). I am not sure I will get anywhere near my personal best of 7 km, but I was 18 months younger when I did that.

I think the next objective will be running 10 km in under 45 minutes.

Today I have done my season’s best for a 30 minute run (6.85 km). I am not sure I will get anywhere near my personal best of 7 km, but I was 18 months younger when I did that.

How you do those runs? You put your stopwatch at 30’ and record the distance you’ll make?

I think the next objective will be running 10 km in under 45 minutes.

You need to follow some kind of structured training in order to achieve that. If you want to do it relatively easy, you should do strides for a long period of time, say 6 months, then try again.

”You run comfortably fast for 150 -200m then walking or slow jogging 100m and on again” Repeat x 30. After 6 months (probably quite less than that) you’ll achieve a PB!

Check this post and video. Also the video(s) below.

Back