The Running thread

I am also trying to run 10 km under 45 minutes.

Absolutely doable for you, even borderline not ambitious haha.

I need to increase my stamina.

For stamina secret is to run longer and (much) slower. The improvement is not as immediate as with strides though, it will take you a couple of months to see tangible results.
If you could add an hour run at an average heart rate of ~135bmp -which in your case could be real slow, even with some intermediate walking to keep the heart low- you'd be surprised with the results.

Consistency is the key though. Try not to loose sessions.
If you stick with 2 strides + 1 long run + 1 cheat run (anything you like, but ideally average heart rate not more than 145) for 2 months you will built a good base to then follow a 40 days program with intervals instead of strides and destroy the 45 minutes barrier.

I have tried to make the most of the nice weather these last couple of days to do some running. Yesterday, I managed to fit a 20 minute run (4.7 km) and I treated myself to a platter of souvlaki and some beers afterwards. Today, I went for a longer run: 8.5 km in 37 minutes. I’ll thank the Greek food for the good sensations! :lol:

I felt like this!

main-qimg-b3a67f48c3ff271d5036e69940ade589

1:52:05 (5:20/km)
Cruising in pain. Lung-wise it wasn't that much of an effort, but from 5km onwards my ankle was in pain. Since last half marathon (4 weeks ago) I didn't do any serious training, only some recovery runs at ~8:00min/km pace.
Let's hope my ankle won't worsen too much.

So since April 21, I did very few running, something like 4 times in total with 14 days no running at all. The ankle got better but not completely so I decided to go to the hospital for proper exams.

I did x-rays, ultrasonic plus good ol' examination by the physician and conclusion is whatever it is, it's not visible so I guess this is good news already :D

UT.jpeg Xray.jpg

The pain is very mild and need a specific position to appear but of course I know very well that when I will start doing 100km a week at some point it will re-appear, most probably during tapering right before the marathon.

Anyway, the key to deliver your feet injury /sore pain free to the race day is stretching & strengthening. The 2 life savers.
10 minutes stretching after each run and 30 minutes strengthening twice a week preferably after intervals /intense sessions i.e., intervals in the morning, strengthening in the evening.

Here are some YouTube links. Stretching follow along routine:

Strengthening routines links below. Those routines are 10 minutes or less but mega important to deliver your body to race day without injuries.

@____no5 Nice to hear you are recovering well!

No souvlaki for me yesterday, just a chicken burrito and a couple of bottles of Gulden Draak, but the latter seem to have given me added wings today: 8.05 km in 35 minutes.

Who wants healthy drinks when one can have this? :lol:

1715944207019.jpeg

Back