The Post Your Own Music Thread

They are very nice. I was actually gonna play my old 80's Gibson Flying V, but it was badly in need of a tuneup. An Explorer is not a bad consolation prize.

So SMX showed me this cool subreddit called r/songaweek and I've decided to take the challenge and write a song every week! For this one I decided to step out of my comfort zone and write everything on a keyboard instead of guitar. The result is this funky electronic thing. I ended up recording a couple parts on the guitar just because I couldn't find a sound I liked on the keyboard. Didn't have access to the studio so the sound isn't as good as I'd like it to be, but I got to know garage band a bit better!

https://soundcloud.com/animal-soup/resolutions

Thanks! I was going for a bit of an 80s vibe with the synths, I'm glad it came across!

So SMX showed me this cool subreddit called r/songaweek and I've decided to take the challenge and write a song every week! For this one I decided to step out of my comfort zone and write everything on a keyboard instead of guitar. The result is this funky electronic thing. I ended up recording a couple parts on the guitar just because I couldn't find a sound I liked on the keyboard. Didn't have access to the studio so the sound isn't as good as I'd like it to be, but I got to know garage band a bit better!

https://soundcloud.com/animal-soup/resolutions
That was cool, Mosh. Next you can try the Buckethead challenge: one album a week! :D

I've been putting together a bunch of recordings from my old band, Supergenius. I'll put them up here for you to check out. I'm quite happy with them; they're not bad at all for a few guys having fun in a basement.

Supergenius is:
SinisterMinisterX, lead vocals and bass
Don, guitar and occasional vocals
Tom, drums

Let's get right to the song that may interest this forum the most:

Full Youtube playlist - put this sucker on to experience a Supergenius "concert".

Chapter One: Warm-Up
The Worm (based on Würm from "Starship Trooper" by Yes)
Down Under (Men At Work cover)
Knockin' On Heaven's Door (Guns 'n Roses cover)

Chapter Two: Wading into the Standard Repertoire
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (AC/DC cover) - raw recording. PA straight onto cassette. Still analog in 2004. :ph34r:
Santa Monica (Everclear cover)
Basket Case (Green Day cover)
Message In A Bottle (Police cover)
All Along The Watchtower (Jimi Hendrix cover)

Chapter Three: Featuring Don on Guitar
If You Want Blood (You've Got It) (AC/DC cover) - Don's favorite band, they must be included here.
Soul To Squeeze (Red Hot Chili Peppers cover) - Don on lead vocals!
Stranglehold (Ted Nugent cover)

Chapter Four: Deeper in the Standard Repertoire
99 Red Balloons (Nena/Goldfinger cover) - another raw one, never forget your roots...
Stop! (Jane's Addiction cover)
Alive (Pearl Jam cover)
Tightrope (Stevie Ray Vaughan cover)

Chapter Five: Featuring SMX on Bass and Vocals
Remember Tomorrow (Iron Maiden cover) - top of post
Moon Patrol (based on a video game theme)
Say Hello 2 Heaven (Temple Of The Dog cover) - the last "yeah" leading into the guitar solo is the highest note I ever hit.

The next set will include another batch of covers, and one original song. After that, I'll get more into the "your own" part of the thread title: a whole bunch of Supergenius originals coming up.

Hope you enjoy it! :shred:

Some more Supergenius, featuring yours truly on bass and vocals. Youtube playlist for these songs, and the Zep covers posted above

Chapter Seven: Featuring Tom on Drums

Lyrics can be found here.

Happy Jack (The Who cover) - Tom's biggest influence is Keith Moon, so we gave him some Who songs to wail on.
I'm A Boy (The Who cover)
Funk #49 (James Gang cover)

Chapter Eight: Diving into the Extended Repertoire

Dreams (Molly Hatchet cover)
Remedy (Black Crowes cover)
Bastille Day (Rush cover)
Black (Pearl Jam cover)
Manic Depression (Jimi Hendrix cover) - with a taste of Whipping Post (Allman Brothers)
Post Toastee (Tommy Bolin cover)

Next: original songs! Hope you enjoy these.

Back