The Official Book of Souls Tour 2017 Thread (Warning: Spoilers Within)

Just started flipping through the Christmas issue of FC magazine and it's a little disheartening to read that Steve doesn't plan any major setlist changes for the next leg of the tour. Hopefully we'll get at least 3-4 song changes, even if they're minor (please cut TRATB....).

Yes. please cut TRATB and replace with 2 songs. Preferably a new song from BOS included. Great unknown and/or SOTV would sefice!
Also, any news or rumors or hints yet on North American tour 17'?

Just started flipping through the Christmas issue of FC magazine and it's a little disheartening to read that Steve doesn't plan any major setlist changes for the next leg of the tour. Hopefully we'll get at least 3-4 song changes, even if they're minor (please cut TRATB....).

That mag was one of the better ones in recent times. Love the new layout with full color photos and more detail to the presentation in general. Less boring to flip through and glad to hear that Laz wants to move forward with some of the ideas. Shame that the Ukiyo-E Japanese style Eddie wasn't on the second side of the centerfold though.

No setlist changes is nothing new though for Maiden. What about the answer to if they'll ever play Empire?

"Until Bruce learns to play the piano like a virtuoso, it's not going to happen. We'll see how he gets on with that one..."

Very open ended last line :p

That mag was one of the better ones in recent times. Love the new layout with full color photos and more detail to the presentation in general. Less boring to flip through and glad to hear that Laz wants to move forward with some of the ideas. Shame that the Ukiyo-E Japanese style Eddie wasn't on the second side of the centerfold though.

No setlist changes is nothing new though for Maiden. What about the answer to if they'll ever play Empire?

"Until Bruce learns to play the piano like a virtuoso, it's not going to happen. We'll see how he gets on with that one..."

Very open ended last line :p

I love the layout! Hopefully they stick with it and this wasn't just a one-off guest spot for the design. The difference is night and day. The articles still looked like a homemade zine before this.

They will never play Empire of the Clouds on tour, I'm resigned to that. Maybe one day they'll do a special performance of it for a farewell concert, a symphony show, or who knows what - but it'll never be in the setlist (regardless of whether Bruce learns to play it flawlessly).

You can totally tell that the guy used to do Metal Hammer before though. Very reminiscent of a MH mag but yeah lots better than the previous boring design.

Yeah you're probably right. Just the answer sounded like they had debated it...And Steve finally went, "Well Bruce, if you come back here in 6 months able to play Mozart we will do it!!" :p

I think "Bruce needs to learn the piano" is Empire's version of "H forgot the solo". They don't want to play it. It's long and would be difficult to mix with a setlist of high energy Metal songs.

There's been a teaser trailer for the 2017 tour out for a while now - major clue as to which songs will (still) be played. It does leave a question mark over several, though.

I think "Bruce needs to learn the piano" is Empire's version of "H forgot the solo". They don't want to play it. It's long and would be difficult to mix with a setlist of high energy Metal songs.

So much potential for an amazing stage show with that song though but yeah, to much margin for error as well I think!

I would rather see any of the following live instead of Empire of the Clouds:

1) The Great Unknown / The River Runs Deep / Shadows of the Valley
2) Rime of the Ancient Mariner / Flight of Icarus
3) Prowler / Phantom / Murders in the Rue Morgue
4) The Wicker Man / Rainmaker / Different World / El Dorado
5) Futureal / When Two Worlds Collide / The Edge of Darkness
6) Be Quick or Be Dead / Judas Be My Guide / Run Silent, Run Deep / Mother Russia
7) Wrathchild six times in a row

In sum, pretty much anything else. 18 minutes of a 95-minute show is way too much to devote to one mediocre song. And you just know Bruce would feel compelled to spend another 5 minutes introducing it.

I would rather see any of the following live instead of Empire of the Clouds:

1) The Great Unknown / The River Runs Deep / Shadows of the Valley
2) Rime of the Ancient Mariner / Flight of Icarus
3) Prowler / Phantom / Murders in the Rue Morgue
4) The Wicker Man / Rainmaker / Different World / El Dorado
5) Futureal / When Two Worlds Collide / The Edge of Darkness
6) Be Quick or Be Dead / Judas Be My Guide / Run Silent, Run Deep / Mother Russia
7) Wrathchild six times in a row

In sum, pretty much anything else. 18 minutes of a 95-minute show is way too much to devote to one mediocre song. And you just know Bruce would feel compelled to spend another 5 minutes introducing it.

1) No,
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) No
5) No
6) Yes
7) No Way

Anyways they won't do the song so don't worry :D

You're right, since it so extended, self contained and multifarious a song it would ruin the momentum of any concert. And this is from someone who thinks it is a masterpiece, one of the greatest songs of 2015 not only in metal or rock but any genre.

It would have to be done as an encore....Like Journeyman on the 2003 tour. After 10 mins of blackout, a single light on a grand piano on the stage....Then when the song really gets going the light opens up and reveals an extended airship backdrop/stage set....at the climax of the song, the stage set, like the airship, breaks down (Think Justice for all Metallica "Justice statue" breakdown)...the illustrious stage set crumbles and then at the end when the song ends and everything is in a rubble and stripped down ...Iron Maiden launches into Hallowed Be Thy Name and says "From Eddie and the boys, goodnight!!"

Not sure if they've ever played Ohio in recent years.
Last time was 2010.
They used to hit Cleveland on every tour until DoD happened. And it has been sporadic ever since.
Only coming in 2008 and 2010.
I had to go to New York city in 04
Toronto in 05
couldn't travel in 06 so I had to miss that tour :(
Had to go to Buffalo in 12
and couldn't travel last year so had to miss them again :(

So I really hope they do a summer outdoor tour and come back to Cleveland.

You people give it a rest. I'm so tired of having to hear this argument.

They did three concerts in England in 2013, one in 2014, and one in 2016. Fucking travel if you want to see Maiden.

I have had to travel as far as England is long to see them every tour and there's been no bitching out of me. Or do you not realize that there are single states in the US that are bigger than the entirety of the UK?

Yet I don't see them going on a ten city Illinois or Missouri tour. You've had it pretty damn good, so don't get pissy at the remainder of us about excitement for the possibility of more US dates this year. We're all Maiden fans here, or do you not want them to tour anywhere else?

Last edited:
The thing is that it looks like there will be no (massive) US tour this year right now, knowing the factors (no rumors about arenas being booked, Steve's dates beginning at the end of July). But there is still a possibility that they will do a short (10-15) dates tour beginning in the middle of June.

Back