The Official Book of Souls Tour 2016 Thread (Warning: Spoilers within!)

Uh. It's less impressive. It's not even a very good example of Janick shredding...
Have you heard that solo even? I thought it was his fastest at least. Fast isn't always good, but the speed itself was very impressive.

Alright, let's drop the word good. Do you agree that this was one of the, if not the fast shredding we've ever heard from Janick, live? Janick's fastest playing ever, I find that impressive. If you disagree, I'd appreciate it if you would find a faster example.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the topic of 'lies' on live albums, I think I heard chants of 'Argentina, Argentina' at the end of Running Free on En Vivo cd as the crowd is fading out. I suppose you never know what you're getting with a live record but if its good, its good and RiR is fucking excellent, despite the copy and paste chorus'

On the topic of 'lies' on live albums, I think I heard chants of 'Argentina, Argentina' at the end of Running Free on En Vivo cd as the crowd is fading out. I suppose you never know what you're getting with a live record but if its good, its good and RiR is fucking excellent, despite the copy and paste chorus'

Yes, but the song is from Chile, because Bruce didn't sing the 2nd verse in Argentina verse because of torches in the crowd.

Also the interview with Nicko confirms that TOAC was added to the set later. This means that my assumption of TOAC and WY being replacements for other songs are true. I think the latter is replacing HCW.

Have you heard that solo even? I thought it was his fastest at least. Fast isn't always good, but the speed itself was very impressive.

Alright, let's drop the word good. Do you agree that this was one of the, if not the fast shredding we've ever heard from Janick, live? Janick's fastest playing ever, I find that impressive. If you disagree, I'd appreciate it if you would find a faster example.
What is the fastest Janick solo is?

Firstly there is a song from every golden era album apart from SSOASS, which was covered heavily on previous tour. There was also talk on IMFC (according to a friend who is IMFC member) forum that roadies hated doing HCW passes, because there were 20 extra people backstage, which meant extra security and interrupting the well oiled machine that The Killer Crew is. When they play HCW, they always do the HCW passes. Doing the HCW passes during the last song of the set is nearly impossible, because the roadies are already beginnig the tear-down of the set (packing all the guitars apart from one backup, etc). So the roadies moaned about that to the band and they simply changed HCW with Wasted Years. I'm more interested what the other song that was replaced with TOAC was. And no, it wasn't BNW, because that was on the Chinese list and was probably cut due to set lenght.

Hard to believe HCW was seriously considered as last song. I mean, Wasted Years was also unexpected as last, but HCW? That would have been odd.
So, perhaps it replaced HCW, but then they might have changed the order as well.

If that's the case, I'm very glad they went with Wasted Years. I quite liked it as an upbeat set closer

Serious question: is there a specific reason why everyone suspects they meant to play Heaven Can Wait on this tour? Was it listed on the Chinese set list or something? Did someone make a remark about playing it in an interview?

It seems to me that if you're going to play The Red and The Black (which they knew 100% they would), you wouldn't also play another long song famous for it's "whoa-oh-oh" section.

I think it is time to bring back "Heaven Can Wait" (which has been absent since the 2008-09 tour). However, I don't think it should close the set, the ending is not dramatic enough. I'd be glad to have it replace "The Red and the Black" (although I like this one too...well, I'm a Maiden fan you know :p) on a future tour.

@matic22 and what was Tears a replacement for?
I don't know, but I suspect it was a short song from reunion era. Could be something like Coming Home.

Edit: It was BNW. Looked at the Chinese setlist. The original setlist seems to be something like:
IESF
SOL
COTD
BNW
TBOS
Trooper
TRATB
DOG
Powerslave
HBTN
FOTD
IM
------------------------------
TNOTB
?
?

It seems that 3 songs were changed: TOAC, WY and BB. Even if HCW was the second to last song it would be annoying for the road crew.

Serious question: is there a specific reason why everyone suspects they meant to play Heaven Can Wait on this tour? Was it listed on the Chinese set list or something? Did someone make a remark about playing it in an interview?

It seems to me that if you're going to play The Red and The Black (which they knew 100% they would), you wouldn't also play another long song famous for it's "whoa-oh-oh" section.
It wasn't on the Chinese list, no

I don't know, but I suspect it was a short song from reunion era. Could be something like Coming Home.

Edit: It was BNW. Looked at the Chinese setlist. The original setlist seems to be something like:
IESF
SOL
COTD
BNW
TBOS
Trooper
TRATB
DOG
Powerslave
HBTN
FOTD
IM
------------------------------
TNOTB
?
?

It seems that 3 songs were changed: TOAC, WY and BB. Even if HCW was the second to last song it would be annoying for the road crew.
Wicker Man was also on the Chinese list, although at the event they performed Wickerslave

Wicker Man was also on the Chinese list, although at the event they performed Wickerslave

Steve explained this in an interview. They said they can perform Powerslave, but it needs to be labelled different on the setlist, because of to him unknown reasons.

It was a good bet, considering Bruce's comeback from cancer, and Bruce himself said in an interview he sang HCW and Trooper during his treatment

Maybe Brave New World? BNW was on the China approved setlist, they decided to drop it. Maybe due to length, or decided to go with Tears. Next year I want BNW instead of TOAC.

I'm cool even if they play TAATG, but,honestly? TOAC is a hell of a beautiful song. Adrian's solo is one piece of heaven and the lyrics are really easy for the whole crowd to follow. I wouldn't mind at all if TOAC becomes an eternal stample

It was a good bet, considering Bruce's comeback from cancer, and Bruce himself said in an interview he sang HCW and Trooper during his treatment

Gotcha. I had never heard/read him saying that. Makes sense why the speculation, then. As a singer, I suspect he would use that song to work on the sustain/breath control of certain vowels, i.e. the constant "Way-ay-ait!"

Back