1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Number of the Beast

Discussion in 'The Number Of The Beast' started by SinisterMinisterX, May 2, 2004.

?

How good is The Number of the Beast on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

50.0%
  2. 9

13.0%
  3. 8

26.1%
  4. 7

6.5%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

2.2%
  7. 4

2.2%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DJMayes

DJMayes Educated Fool

9. A stone cold classic and I love it but not enough for me to give it a 10.

Rankings:

Previous Albums:

1980 - Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
    6 - Sanctuary
    7 - Remember Tomorrow
    6 - Running Free
    9 - Phantom Of The Opera
    7 - Transylvania
    4 - Strange World
    6 - Charlotte The Harlot
    7 - Iron Maiden

1981 - Killers - 5.91

6 - The Ides Of March
    6 - Wrathchild
    6 - Murders In The Rue Morgue
    5 - Another Life
    5 - Genghis Khan
    5 - Innocent Exile
    8 - Killers
    5 - Prodigal Son
    8 - Purgatory
    6 - Twilight Zone
    5 - Drifter

1982 - The Number Of The Beast

6 - Invaders
    7 - Children Of The Damned
    8 - The Prisoner
    7 - 22 Acacia Avenue
    9 - The Number Of The Beast

2. eddienephwrack

eddienephwrack Invader

7. This seems to be an unpopular opinion, but I'm really not a big fan of this song. I think it's pretty overrated. On this album I prefer Hallowed, Acacia, Children, The Prisoner and, yes, Invaders...

3. eddienephwrack

eddienephwrack Invader

Having said that, I do love the guitar solos and the whole instrumental section

4. Sth2112

Sth2112 Nomad

A true Maiden classic. Love those first lines of vocals, and that greaaat scream by Bruce. The solos are also top notch. No wonder why this somg sky-rockeded Maiden into the heavy metal elite. 10/10

5. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

10/10

I initially did not like The Number of the Beast very much. Over many, many years and a few concerts, however, I have come to love it for the classics that it is. It opens in a very similar nature to the two preceding tracks (a spoken intro and a palm-muted chord riff to kick off the singing), but quickly distinguishes itself as each instrument joins the fray in a synchronized chug. Bruce’s scream is a thing of excellence - a perfect moment on record. In my opinion, the music in the entire song is a little too upbeat and happy for the subject matter, but who cares as long as it’s fun? The solo break is outstanding, as is the guitar and bass unison between and after each lead.

6. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Is it blasphemy to say this is my favorite song on the album? There's a reason why this is cemented as one of the greatest Metal tracks and it's not just the Devil Worship. The way this builds up is so epic, culminating in that legendary scream. The lyrics in this are some of Steve's best, he does a great job describing the vivid imagery. I feel like I'm there when I'm listening to it. Bruce's delivery is intense, if it wasn't for Children of the Damned this would be the highlight of the album from a vocal standpoint.

The instrumental section on this is the best showcase of instrumental Maiden on this album. Dave's solo, Adrian's solo, the bass interlude, all perfection. It's a good example of the solos being more than just a showcase of technical ability, but musical contributions to the scene being described in the lyrics. It's why someone who isn't very good at actively following the lyrics, like me, can still follow a Maiden song's story.

7. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

Another great song on a great album. The spoken intro launching into those brilliant opening riffs and the timing and clarity of the vocal might be one of my favourite starts to any Maiden song.

From there on it pounds along and the chorus is brilliant as are the solos.

8. Zare

Zare Dream of broken citadels

Too bad there's no full cover, they used NOTB's intro as intro to Fucking Hostile.

9. matic22

matic22 H is shorter for God.

A classic. Nice mood. One of the most well known IM tracks is a great song, but not as great as COTD, 22AA or The Prisoner. But it still has great atmosphere and is a great song.

8/10

10. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Come to the Sabbath

Was at one point in my Top 5 for Maiden. Has since slipped down, but still remains in my Top 15. There's just so many great Maiden songs. The energy to this one is amazing, and if you can do that scream half as well as Bruce can, I'm calling BS. Is there any doubt that it's a classic? 10 out of fucking 10.