The Next Album (expectations / desires)

Forostar - what about Phantom Of The Opera and Hallowed Be Thy Name?  I'd say they're probably among the most popular songs on their respective albums.

Perun said:
For what it's worth, I'm going to take Shirley's defense here. The man did one horrible mistake with Rock In Rio and Dance Of Death- he did not produce them to be played as CDs on a standard stereo system. He produced them to be played as DVDs on a 5.1 system. Everybody I talked to who have both a 5.1 and the Rock In Rio DVD or Dance Of Death DVD-A told me how brilliant sounding they were, and how much they actually put you there, in the middle of it, while saying at the same time that the respective CD versions had a muddy, almost bootleg-quality sound. The production does not work properly for analogue equipment.

I can confirm this.  I have a 5.1 system in my bedroom and Rock in Rio on the DVD sounds SO MUCH BETTER than the CD does in stereo.  I want to get a copy of the DVD-A of DoD so I can have Paschendale in the same epic format for the same amount of pure awesome.

Duncan said:
Forostar - what about Phantom Of The Opera and Hallowed Be Thy Name?  I'd say they're probably among the most popular songs on their respective albums.

Might be, but the difference in popularity with the short songs from those albums is smaller.
In other words: the shorter songs from the pre-2000 era are way more popular (or "better") than most recent shorter songs.

Piece of Mind was my fav album of all.  If they were to make something like a cross between that and Dance of Death, I would like that.  Personally, an 'epic' song album wouldn't really be my idea of great.  One per album is fine enough with me, and the rest could be some shorter 4-6 minute tunes that are just fun and fast.

First and foremost I want to see another instrumental on there; yeah,yeah... Maiden have long enough solos in their epics to constitute an instrumental. Whatever, I still want one.

I agree on the short rocker inclusion, would like to see 1 or 2 of those in the ass-kicking riff spirit of Aces High or The Trooper.

I liked how a few of the songs on AMOLAD had an almost Paul era raw sound to them, some more of that would be good too.

Too Tame a Land II - the Dune series is epic and Maiden now has much more to cover from that universe other than the first novel.

Or, if you are looking for an epic song, maybe another cover of a poem, something dark-- like something by Poe.  That could be cool.

Eddies Wingman said:
Not on crack, just drunk  :p No, really - I absolutely love Rainmaker, but The Wicker Man is up there with it - and these two are in another league than Wildest Dreams and Different World.

Indeed!

Though I'm not too worried. They have put out consistently good material long enough for me to know it will be a solid buy.

Funny how you say that.  I don't think there was ever a time when I have worried about a Maiden album like people do about the Metallica albums.

Speaking of the 'Tallica album, my local record store is going to play it at 11 pm before the 12am presale and then give out prizes and stuff... I'm SO there :D

Wasted155 said:
Or, if you are looking for an epic song, maybe another cover of a poem, something dark-- like something by Poe.  That could be cool.

Lovecraft. The perfect source for the spiritual sequel to Rime. Can you imagine what Maiden could do with "At The Mountains Of Madness", or does it utterly blow your mind?

It'd be nice for them to do a little mythology and some more history. Though I kinda miss songs with themes like Still Life, Sea Of Madness and the such.

Some more history?  Good grief, man, have you heard the last two albums :lol:

They probably will have at least a couple history ones on, they usually do.

Synth-heavy electronica, sort of a cross between Nine Inch Nails and Radiohead's new album.  :halo:

In all seriousness, I'd rather they not set out to make a particular kind of album with a particular mix of songs.  I'd rather they simply worry about writing good melodies.  Whether those melodies are spread out over four 2-minute songs (unlikely), two 4-minute songs or one 8-minute song doesn't really matter to me.  Nor does it matter whether those melodies are contained in songs about a historical event, an epic poem, or Janick's ninth-grade sweetheart.  What has always set Iron Maiden apart from other big-time metal acts is, in my view, the great melodies/hooks.  That's why AMOLAD and Brave New World are better overall albums than Dance of Death -- they had good melodies in just about every song, whereas DoD had some clunkers with either a bad melody or no melody at all.  That's also why Paschendale stands out on the DoD album -- that one song is packed with terrific melodies. 

Duncan said:
Some more history?  Good grief, man, have you heard the last two albums :lol:

They probably will have at least a couple history ones on, they usually do.

Yeah, Paschendale, Longest day etc. Dont' get me wrong, I love those songs, but maybe if they go a little more back in time... Age of reason and such? Or even to medieval stuff..

Mmm...Donuts said:
but maybe if they go a little more back in time... Age of reason and such? Or even to medieval stuff..

That's what we have power metal bands for! :p

Of course, but Montsegur kicked ass and the boys can do it again. And it would be a pleasant surprise if they actually did a sequel to Losfer Words :p

I would love, love, love one heartfelt ballad...a thank you to the fans (if this is their swan song), that really shows their talents. Also  I would like them to record it in my living room and give me some of the royalties.

Well, I'll accept almost anything, but what I wish is a new instrumental. They are already overly due with some :) Bruce is a quite good singer, but I prefer instrumental music anyway :)

You tell us. You're the one calling himself The Clairvoyant.

Back