The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
This comment is a joke. Tool are as big if not bigger than Maiden in the States, and GNR eclipse both of them. Priest are the smallest name of the six.

Exactly. If we were to rank Maiden amongst the bands on Powertrip based on their popularity in the USA they will definitely not be top 3. In fact, I would argue that Metallica, GNR and AC/DC are bigger than Maiden everywhere.

Exactly. If we were to rank Maiden amongst the bands on Powertrip based on their popularity in the USA they will definitely not be top 3. In fact, I would argue that Metallica, GNR and AC/DC are bigger than Maiden everywhere.

Yep, that's just a fact. In Maiden's best territories, South America + Sweden, Maiden can compete with them, but that's it.

Again, these bands are in the public consciousness, not just of casual rock fans, but people who have no interest in rock at all. Everyone knows Sweet Child o' Mine and Thunderstruck. If anything Metallica are probably the smaller band of the 3.

Since it will be a Guns N’ Roses crowd that will be indifferent to Iron Maiden no matter what they play, the boys should do something goofy like play Virtual XI in its entirety.
They never sold any single day tickets so I would think there will be lots of folks in the crowd who are indifferent to both bands, but they will be there considering the cost of the tickets. If I weren't really a Metallica fan and I'm already indifferent to Tool I would stick around to see them on Sunday. It would help justify the ridiculous cost it would be for me to travel and attend this festival

Yeah, I’d say that Maiden would be fifth biggest in the States, just above Priest. But there’s a weird gap between Maiden and Priest, because the latter are seen as like a classic rock radio band, while Maiden are still a touring juggernaut that just doesn’t get the mainstream talk the others do. I mean Tool fucking overtook Taylor Swift in the charts in 2019; 13 years of waiting or not, Maiden could never achieve the same kind of success with a new album (Senjutsu, of course, lost the top spot to Drake).

Yeah, I’d say that Maiden would be fifth biggest in the States, just above Priest. But there’s a weird gap between Maiden and Priest, because the latter are seen as like a classic rock radio band, while Maiden are still a touring juggernaut that just doesn’t get the mainstream talk the others do. I mean Tool fucking overtook Taylor Swift in the charts in 2019; 13 years of waiting or not, Maiden could never achieve the same kind of success with a new album (Senjutsu, of course, lost the top spot to Drake).

Judas Priest are the odd one out in that line-up and we all know the only reason they are playing the festival, i.e., Ozzy not being able to make it.

Realizing "bigger/biggest" and "greater/greatest" are two separate things I've yet to see Tool rate higher than Maiden on any Top 10 (or whatever) poll/list/ranking etc. for best/greatest metal bands of all time.

Realizing "bigger/biggest" and "greater/greatest" are two separate things I've yet to see Tool rate higher than Maiden on any Top 10 (or whatever) poll/list/ranking etc. for best/greatest metal bands of all time.
"greater/greatest" is obviously highly subjective. The talk here is about popularity, where "bigger/biggest" is the only relevant metric.

We all love Maiden here, and they are a much better band than any of the others on Powertrip (in my opinion of course), but Maiden simply aren't nearly as popular as we like to pretend sometimes. They are a legendary band, but not as big in the mainstream as the others, only beating out Judas Priest (arguably).

"greater/greatest" is obviously highly subjective. The talk here is about popularity, where "bigger/biggest" is the only relevant metric.

We all love Maiden here, and they are a much better band than any of the others on Powertrip (in my opinion of course), but Maiden simply aren't nearly as popular as we like to pretend sometimes. They are a legendary band, but not as big in the mainstream as the others, only beating out Judas Priest (arguably).
Pretty sure worldwide Maiden is WAY bigger than Tool (and Judas). Nowhere near the other 3, for sure, but I'd say the gap between Maiden and those 2 is almost as big as the one between Maiden and the top 3. And I say that because I also didn't know Tool were that big in US, I'd argue there would be more interest in Tool's first album after more than a decade than on another Maiden album, but when it comes to the classics as a touring act I got really surprised to hear they might be bigger.

EDIT: I take back what I said about the gap, YT numbers for streams last year:

Metallica: 1.56B
GN'R: 1.34B
AC/DC: 1.24B
Maiden: 371M
Judas: 154M
No data for Tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back