The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the ticket sale situation for Canada this year is anywhere near as dire as 4,000/night. Probably won't be sold out like on the Book of Souls tour (I have no idea how LotB 19 did), but they'll be fine.

Anyone know how Powertrip has been actually selling? Checked for the hell of it not too long ago and there seemed to be plenty of tickets at all price levels.

I don't think the ticket sale situation for Canada this year is anywhere near as dire as 4,000/night. Probably won't be sold out like on the Book of Souls tour (I have no idea how LotB 19 did), but they'll be fine.
I mentioned in another post that it's around 8k for each of the shows now. Much better than it was a month ago.

I mentioned in another post that it's around 8k for each of the shows now. Much better than it was a month ago.
Probably not sold out but they should end up with decent size crowds for the 3 shows. They are glorified warm up shows for Powertrip anyway and they counter the costs of the production they are bringing as well as crew overseas. Also they now only have to do shows in eastern Canada next year, presumably.

will also be playing for a lot longer, if GNR went on at 6;45 you're probably looking at it being close to 11 when Maiden would going on, judging that they seem to be allowing about 40 mins for changeover
Maiden certainly had that in mind when they announced the date.
I think the Festival is made to show off the 'Big Names' Guns N Roses , AC/DC and Metallica. Because they play at night They can display the Light show and pyro. Maiden , Priest and Tool can't bright in that aspect so I think Maiden must forget the stage show and bring Marshalls and some pyro and play the energetic classics.
I don't think Maiden care if they play at night or during the day. Yeah, they'll probably want to record the show (it's always better at night, even more so for this tour), but they've played during the day at other big festivals before (Download, Wacken). I also think they won't change the setlist (although they had time to rehearse a 1/2 old set staples).
They are all headliners, but someone has to play first. Because there aren't any actual support bands at all makes it feel that way.
Yes. Maiden want to finish their job and go on vacation earlier. It's an unusually short leg (and time-wise) for them.
So Iron Maiden is below Guns & Roses, AC/DC, and Metallica? I don’t think so. Maiden shouldn’t play the festival.
They are all headliners. Maiden, Metallica, Priest and AC/DC are the big/biggest names.

Edit: just to be clear, I said this because I'm taking into account the career of the bands, the quality of their albums/hits, the overall output, the longevity and the live performances (maybe sales too). If some of the bands are more popular in a certain country now, well, I don't think that matters to me.

Last edited:
Normally, they don't do things just for money. But I think Powertrip was an offer you can't refuse.
Plus when they signed on perhaps they felt this would be potentially one of the biggest USA audiences they've played to in long time, perhaps the biggest. Will be interesting to see actual attendance figures. Also some exposure to some fans who may be indifferent to Maiden and mainly going to see some of the other acts.

Despite the shit that Ozzy's cunt wife pulled at Ozzfest I do think touring that festival helped Maiden regain more popularity in the US.

Plus when they signed on perhaps they felt this would be potentially one of the biggest USA audiences they've played to in long time, perhaps the biggest. Will be interesting to see actual attendance figures. Also some exposure to some fans who may be indifferent to Maiden and mainly going to see some of the other acts.

Despite the shit that Ozzy's cunt wife pulled at Ozzfest I do think touring that festival helped Maiden regain more popularity in the US.
Yup. I was also thinking that they hope for a similar effect as US festival in 83 had on Judas Priest.

But with this ticket price... It won't.

I don't think they care that much. They're being offered an insane amount of money upfront to play this festival. They don't care that they're an opening act and they don't care how much the ticket prices are. They also don't care if they're playing a setlist that consists of songs the majority of the audience won't recognize (doesn't matter anyway, that audience is there to see GNR). They're at a point in their career where they've probably hit a ceiling in popularity as a legacy touring act. I really doubt that audience expansion is something that is really on their minds. US Festival is a wildly different circumstance.

US Festival is a wildly different circumstance.
I'm not speaking about the circumstances of the festival itself. I'm talking about the rise of JP's popularity thanks to the festival in America.

I agree that US and Power trip are almost polar opposites. Except paying artists a shit ton of money (US did that to get DLR out of the Amazonia and to get Bowie).

I'm not speaking about the circumstances of the festival itself. I'm talking about the rise of JP's popularity thanks to the festival in America.
Yea that doesn't seem like an apt comparison though. JP was a youngish band playing a style of music that was mainstream in America at that time. They had room to grow and were at the perfect moment to take off in the USA. Maiden is an old already established band playing a style of music that, while broadly popular, is far from the mainstream these days. The ticket prices are what they are because this festival is targeted at older wealthy professionals/retirees with large disposable incomes who want to relive the 80s. Nobody is getting "exposed" to Maiden because of the festival.

Yea that doesn't seem like an apt comparison though. JP was a youngish band playing a style of music that was mainstream in America at that time. They had room to grow and were at the perfect moment to take off in the USA. Maiden is an old already established band playing a style of music that, while broadly popular, is far from the mainstream these days. The ticket prices are what they are because this festival is targeted at older wealthy professionals/retirees with large disposable incomes who want to relive the 80s. Nobody is getting "exposed" to Maiden because of the festival.
True that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back