The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah this was my first thought, 1/3rd of the setlist was hits. But I guess that doesn't matter when you're trying to be hyperbolic.
Deep down he's probably just jealous that Maiden has managed to remain relevant and active enough to successfully tour extensively on new material so late into their career.

Deep down he's probably just jealous that Maiden has managed to remain relevant and active enough to successfully tour extensively on new material so late into their career.
Yes, but he's also proud to be the frontman of a band that rules the stage and perform so immaculate that Maiden were intimidated and elected to play the slot before TW at some festival in Spain.

Yes, but he's also proud to be the frontman of a band that rules the stage and perform so immaculate that Maiden were intimidated and elected to play the slot before TW at some festival in Spain.

I saw Maiden in Barcelona in 2013. Anthrax and Megadeth went on after Maiden then too. Maiden must be afraid of them too.

Or maybe, Maiden went on at their usual 9pm time slot in both gigs.

It is just Dee Snider trying to justify him only playing the Twisted Sister hits, isn’t it?

I was at both London gigs on the AMOLAD tour and the reaction to the new material was VERY enthusiastic as far as I can remember.

images

It remembers me of a song that I can't remember the name but some of the lyrics were : "dreams are my reality..." yeah, Jay Jay, keep on dreaming, for "sure" Maiden were really intimidated by Twisted Sister fans ::)

I really don't have an issue with Twisted Sister. I was a fan and had several of their albums. Yes, Dee has some strong opinions but I will always give him props for standing up for our music in front of the US Congress for those hearings. I saw TS open for Accept on the Metal Heart tour and Dee said they were going to be coming back and open for Maiden. He seemed to be happy about that. When I saw them with Maiden on the Powerslave tour I remember Dee saying to the crowd before their last song "Are you ready for Iron Maiden to come out and kick your ass??!"

Comments from Dee Snider talking about the new Metallica tour and he also brings up Maiden for the AMOLAD tour:

"And then I harken back to when Iron Maiden toured. Remember they played the entire new album; they refused to play any of their hits. Audience was furious. Bruce [Dickinson] was yelling at the crowd because they weren't getting into it. It was self-serving to do that. And the next year they came back, and it was the biggest hits only, 'cause they had to make up for that."

I know they got some flak in America but it wasn't like that elsewhere, was it?
Lol this did give me a chuckle reading this.

Once upon a time the “hits” were just tracks on an album that was released and Twisted Sister went off and toured the album(s) but then stopped releasing new music and spent the next 3 decades just playing the same stuff over and over. That’s fine if thats what they wanted to do but bands like Maiden and Metallica didn’t want to do that and have stayed relevant and have huge fan bases because they wanted to continue releasing new music and tour to support it. This forum itself is an example to why Maiden are a big successful band as there’s a lot of people posting here who only became fans during the reunion era.

Twisted sister play small clubs because they have no new music to promote so the only fans watching them live are a handful of middle aged fans trying to relive their youth for an evening.

How can it be self-serving and piss off casual fans when these tours are properly advertised. Metallica have made it very clear what this current tour is all about so if a casual fan buys a ticket and get pissed off that’s their problem.

Same with Maiden, since the reunion the band have been very consistent in alternating hits tours with album tours so fans know what they are gonna get when they buy a ticket.

Arguably any band that releases new music does so under the premise that they think the new songs are worth it. Taste is subjective of course, but I fully agree that new music should be played live, otherwise we drift into "cabaret act" territory, as it once was said ;)

As much as I dislike Virtual XI, I was quite proud when Maiden toured the album and played many songs off it. It showed that they believed in the material.

Last edited:
Would Maiden play the Download Festival again in 2024? Someone told me they had booked Avenged Sevenfold and Iron Maiden. I don't see why he would lie but it's kind of unlikely.

to add on to the virtual live discussion: I was very glad to hear Angel and the Gambler shorter version!.. It would be disaster if they played the full version. what are the other songs they shortened for live... where eagles dare come to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back