The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Facebook

A message from Nicko:

Hello Boys and Girls,
I hope this message finds you all well!

The reason I'm writing to you all today is to let you know of a very serious health problem that I have been through. In January I had a stroke, thank the Lord it was a minor one referred to as a TIA. It left me paralyzed on my right side from my shoulder on down, of course I was very worried that my career was over but with the love and support from my wife, Rebecca and family, my doctors, especially Julie my OT (Occupational Therapist), and my Maiden family I was able to bounce back to somewhere near 70% recovered. After 10 weeks of intense therapy it was almost time to start rehearsals for our tour. I feel it's important to let you know about this now instead of earlier as I was mainly concerned with doing my job and concentrating on getting back to 100% fitness. I'm not there yet but by the grace of God I'm getting better and stronger as the weeks go by.

Thank you all for a most wonderful and magical tour so far, you have all been so amazing.

Well that's it from me. God bless you all, stay safe and well and I look forward to seeing you all somewhere in time.
1f642.png
1f642.png

Nicko
Manager Rod Smallwood adds - “The rest of the band and l think that what Nicko has been able to achieve since his stroke shows incredible belief and willpower and we are all very proud of him. With this new and musically very complex set to learn ahead of him, he just got his head down and concentrated on recovery. We honestly did not know if he would be able to play a whole show until band rehearsals started in May and there was just so much support for him from the band and then genuine relief for all when we saw he was going to be able to do it!”
"Nicko being Nicko he did not want to make a fuss and cause any distraction to the tour at the time but, now that he is sure he will soon get there, he thought you fans should know straight from him rather than by any rumours!"

"We are all of course delighted he battled through this so well and look forward to many more tours together starting with the three Western Canada shows and Power Trip in California coming up in a couple of months time. We can’t wait! This tour is that good!”

What a fuckin Boss ! Now all the Nicko moaners need to suck it up and owe a HUGE apology to the Man
Been saying this for some time and that was before I found out about this. What a legend.

Video below.

Also with this news... There is another thing to notice. If healthy, Nicko has more years at the Maiden drum throne left than most of us predicted.

He proved, that he can play the Maiden show at 70%. And if he remains healthy, gets back to 100%, it will take a while for the age to get him under 70%.

But most importantly, he is okay. And again, hats of to the guy.

This also explains why Bruce was so emotional in Ljubljana during Hell On Earth...

I think the tour was very near cancellation. But, I think in March, they knew that Nicko will probably be able to do it, since Bruce was certain about the Stožice gig when performing with the orchestra here.

I fully support Nicko. I want him to stay in the band. My english is far from perfect. Judging by Rod's message, one can sense that there was a replacement drummer option on the table?
Just for the sake of linquistics.
Mad respect to Nicko. Getting old sucks. But such is reality of our life.

I fully support Nicko. I want him to stay in the band. My english is far from perfect. Judging by Rod's message, one can sense that there was a replacement drummer option on the table?
Just for the sake of linquistics.
Mad respect to Nicko. Getting old sucks. But such is reality of our life.
I think there wasn't. The tour would probably be posponed for a few months (likely start would be end of July). Maybe that's also the reason for late Power Trip announcement. They didn't know if they would need to re-schedule the tour for later this year.

What a fuckin Boss ! Now all the Nicko moaners need to suck it up and owe a HUGE apology to the Man
Independently of what happened to him which no one apart from his circle knew, people just pointed out he was not playing as before. Which he wasn't same way Adrian fucked up several times on solos. You cant deny that and it doesn't mean people cannot be sympathetic now that they know and how he was able to achieve it which is totally mind blowing but doesn't erase that he wasn't perform as before.

Also there a big difference in being a Fan and a Fan Boy ;)

First of all, thank goodness that Nicko has managed to recover his health, let alone any of his drumming ability. Minor or major a stroke is a terrible thing to go through. Second of all, some commentors on Youtube, metal news comments sections etc. should be more mindful of the fact that you don't know what troubles someone is going through off-stage before chiming in with criticism.

The fact that Nicko has been able to tour and seemingly gain in health and fitness throughout is incredible and a testament to his passion for drumming, Maiden and the fans. No wonder he was nervous before the first night.

Independently of what happened to him which no one apart from his circle knew, people just pointed out he was not playing as before. Which he wasn't same way Adrian fucked up several times on solos. You cant deny that and it doesn't mean people cannot be sympathetic now that they know and how he was able to achieve it which is totally mind blowing but doesn't erase that he wasn't perform as before.

Also there a big difference in being a Fan and a Fan Boy ;)
Some did that, some were constantly saying that Maiden should replace Nicko because he clearly couldn't play anymore or that clearly he was doing this tour because he had to and that he should call it a day. Nicko will stop when he decides to, and the fact he did the whole fucking tour as scheduled without any obligation and not even being 100% well speaks volumes about his passion for drumming and for Maiden. To many more tours, Nicko!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back