The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
is nights of the dead not an album recorded during legacy of the beast tour?
Yes, but the original post was about having no live albums with "the new drum sound". The BDC kit is not featured on LOTB 2018-2019 and is therefore not on Nights of the Dead. A hypothetical LOTB 2022 live album would contain "the new drum sound", since Nicko switched to BDC before the LOTB 2022 tour.

After revisiting Senjutsu, I wonder if on the inevitable second leg they could swap out some tracks in favour of the three currently unplayed tracks so eventually all tracks will have had a live outing like they originally intended. Something like this?

1. Caught Somewhere in Time
2. Stranger in a Strange Lands
3. The Writing on the Wall
4. Darkest Hour
5. Lost in a Lost World
6. The Prisoner
7. The Parchment
8. Can I Play With Madness
9. Heaven Can Wait
10. Alexander the Great
11. Fear of the Dark
12. Iron Maiden

13. Hell on Earth
14. The Trooper
15. Wasted Years

The only problem I can see is Darkest Hour and Lost in a Lost World being quite plodding.

After revisiting Senjutsu, I wonder if on the inevitable second leg they could swap out some tracks in favour of the three currently unplayed tracks so eventually all tracks will have had a live outing like they originally intended. Something like this?

4. Darkest Hour
5. Lost in a Lost World
6. The Prisoner
7. The Parchment
9. Heaven Can Wait
10. Alexander the Great
11. Fear of the Dark
12. Iron Maiden

13. Hell on Earth
14. The Trooper
15. Wasted Years

The only problem I can see is Darkest Hour and Lost in a Lost World being quite plodding.

If there is another European leg of the tour, I bet some of the Senjutsu songs will make room for some classics.

Some impressions from Ziggo Dome in Amsterdam last night.

I did not look up the setlist but the guys then posted each song on FB so I kind of knew what to expect. Still didn't watch any videos to enjoy the novelty. I think it was a good combination. Some people around me were announcing the next songs anyway so surprise would have been impossible.

Bruce's voice was a bit muffled first 3 songs before they figured it out, some guitar sounds were a bit too sharp. The messy instrumental sections in Celts and The Time Machine just felt like a wall of noise, but these are the only complaints sound wise. Bruce sounded much more sure and strong in the newer material, you could feel the songs were written when he was older.

Some other points:
The crowd was going insane for the CSIT, HCW, and Alex of course.
Celts and Time Machine are my less-liked songs on the Senjutsu, but they worked very well live! I think I will appreciate them in the new light now.
Adrian was FANTASTIC during all the old SIT solos. Just fucking through the roof, unbelievable.
During The Prisoner latter choruses they set Steve's mic too loud. The result was he took the sound away from Bruce and it sounded like a sick dog barking I'M NOT A PRISONER! IMA FREEMAN! all in all it was funny so I enjoyed that :)
CIPWM I think I saw for the first time live. Not comparable to epics on 7th Son but works so amazing live!
Could have lived without hearing The Trooper and Fear again, but I understand it's what the crowd demands.
Bruce also fucked up the first part of the Hell On Earth chorus to the point that I doubted he can redeem himself. Somehow he got back on track, I was surprised hehe.

Didn't hear any weakness from Nicko, his right foot is reinforced with some secret alien technology. Those double kicks oh my god, how can it be humanely possible at the age he is.

PS and I really liked that I was quite close, just on the edge of the crazy moshpit people.

All in all unbeliavable they can pull it off still. Most pleasureable night of 2023, I cried during CSIT.
Maiden is love, Maiden is life.

PS Reading back it sounds like I complain mostly but I am not! I don't have to tell this forum how good this band is, so just pointed out some unusual things and observations. Thx for reading :D
I was at Amsterdam too, and Nicko simplified many parts, most notably on Hell on Earth.

I had tried not to read about the setlist, and so had forgot Can I play... Why the hell do they still play that horrible song ?

4. Darkest Hour
5. Lost in a Lost World
6. The Prisoner
7. The Parchment
9. Heaven Can Wait
10. Alexander the Great
11. Fear of the Dark
12. Iron Maiden

13. Hell on Earth
14. The Trooper
15. Wasted Years
Just based on what they did for Book of Souls I don't think it's too unlikely that they swap out one song. The pattern seems to be that Maiden doesn't rotate songs until they start repeating territories, but if the rumours about them playing European festivals next year are true and if they are counting the short Canadian tour plus Power Trip as a North American run (assuming they will do a full tour next year) then I guess they would approach it that way.

That said, I would say the best case scenario is that they swap one song. Death of the Celts for The Parchment or Time Machine for Darkest Hour seems like the most plausible choice to me. I don't think they would swap three songs though.

I also think it's just as likely they drop a Senjutsu song for a classic. The other pattern of them switching out songs between legs seems to be that they drop difficult songs (Where Eagles Dare, Tears of a Clown) or songs that don't go down live as well (For the Greater Good of God).

4. Darkest Hour
5. Lost in a Lost World
6. The Prisoner
7. The Parchment
9. Heaven Can Wait
10. Alexander the Great
11. Fear of the Dark
12. Iron Maiden

13. Hell on Earth
14. The Trooper
15. Wasted Years

I think they could play "Lost In A Lost World" and "The Parchment", for sure. They are quite proud of 'Senjutsu' and it could make sense they'd play those songs. But, I don't see "Darkest Hour" to be played live, it's not a live song, it hasn't this feeling. But, instead, they could play "Hallowed Be Thy Name" or "Powerslave" (or better, "The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Drummer/Singer Runner", "Sea Of Madness" or "Deja Vu", could be awesome). :)

That said, I would say the best case scenario is that they swap one song. Death of the Celts for The Parchment or Time Machine for Darkest Hour seems like the most plausible choice to me. I don't think they would swap three songs though.
I think "The Time Machine" will stay just for thematic reasons, but I could totally see Steve wanting to play one of his big epics this years ("Death of the Celts") and switch it out for a different one next year ("The Parchment"). Of course it's also just as likely that this setlist will be the one that stays through until the end of the tour.

I was at Amsterdam too, and Nicko simplified many parts, most notably on Hell on Earth.

I had tried not to read about the setlist, and so had forgot Can I play... Why the hell do they still play that horrible song ?
Because it rocks, regardless of Bruce’s awful introduction. It does help that the song does not feature pointless intro/outro sections.

Last edited:
A hypothetical LOTB 2022 live album would contain "the new drum sound", since Nicko switched to BDC before the LOTB 2022 tour.
gotcha, but sadly its not gonna happen. they only release 1 album per tour. next should be future past tour live album.

Just based on what they did for Book of Souls I don't think it's too unlikely that they swap out one song. The pattern seems to be that Maiden doesn't rotate songs until they start repeating territories, but if the rumours about them playing European festivals next year are true and if they are counting the short Canadian tour plus Power Trip as a North American run (assuming they will do a full tour next year) then I guess they would approach it that way.

I also think it's just as likely they drop a Senjutsu song for a classic. The other pattern of them switching out songs between legs seems to be that they drop difficult songs (Where Eagles Dare, Tears of a Clown) or songs that don't go down live as well (For the Greater Good of God).
agree on this one. they like to replace 1 song at max. 2 would be a surprise.

I think "The Time Machine" will stay just for thematic reasons, but I could totally see Steve wanting to play one of his big epics this years ("Death of the Celts") and switch it out for a different one next year ("The Parchment"). Of course it's also just as likely that this setlist will be the one that stays through until the end of the tour.

I think Bruce picks the set these days, and Prisoner and Can I Play with Madness would certainly suggest that's true.

Thank you. He also said that Amsterdam would see them again, without being specific about the time frame. I wouldn't have imagined a tour next year, but I'd be delighted to see an indoor show in Paris.

If there is another European leg of the tour, I bet some of the Senjutsu songs will make room for some classics.
Or, as suggested before, they play the rest of Senjutsu (Darkest Hour, LIALW and The Parchment - to replace The Time Machine, DOTC and Hell on Earth) so that they can release a full live version of the album - why not coupled with a full AMOLAD live from the 2006 tour. Makes marketing sense! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back