The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some curious reports from the Murcia show:

- Steve played the encores with a West Ham kit.
- Bruce said that this was their hottest show in 40 years.
- Samurai Eddie lost his helmet, again:

Attachments

• Samurai without a helmet.jpg
    Samurai without a helmet.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 44
  • steve.png
    steve.png
    387.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
It is interesting how many people think that The Parchment was a shoe-in for this tour. I was initially one of these people. Looking back, I can see why they didn’t include it. Visually and lyrically it is similar to the Alexander the Great. They probably wanted a contrast and they got that with DOTC.

Darkest Hour for The Time Machine, Sea of Madness for Can I Play With Madness
I thought that Darkest Hour was a safe bet for this tour, being an Adrian/Bruce ballad in the vein of Coming Home, but apparently Maiden thought differently. I don't see them replacing TTM, since a) it's a Gers/Harris song and those have always been safe since BNW, and b) it has the jumping interaction in the middle, making it one of the better received new songs.

Don't see them playing Sea Of Madness either, especially not replacing CIPWM. The latter is a rather comfortable song for Maiden (which is the reason why it got included, other than being a classic single and representation for SSOASS), while the former is a rather challenging song that didn't even survive the entirety of its original tour. If they'll change the setlist, it's going to add simpler songs like Wrathchild, not make the setlist even harder for them.

The whole Murcia show (with some big screen footage in close-up):

Great performances. As Steve said in a recent interview, it usually takes them 5-6 shows to warm up.

At the end, the whole ''light show'' just stopped (1:50:30). :lol: And Adrian again had issues with the Wasted Years riff.

wynls.png

It is interesting how many people think that The Parchment was a shoe-in for this tour. I was initially one of these people. Looking back, I can see why they didn’t include it. Visually and lyrically it is similar to the Alexander the Great. They probably wanted a contrast and they got that with DOTC.
It has a similar vibe to Red And Black. Good call with the contrast. Or Steve just wanted to play Celts. Some journalist should ask the band why they don't play it. I wonder if they rehearsed it (Sea and Runner too). I think visually it would have been similar to Hell On Earth's backdrop.
I thought that Darkest Hour was a safe bet for this tour, being an Adrian/Bruce ballad in the vein of Coming Home, but apparently Maiden thought differently. I don't see them replacing TTM, since a) it's a Gers/Harris song and those have always been safe since BNW, and b) it has the jumping interaction in the middle, making it one of the better received new songs.

Don't see them playing Sea Of Madness either, especially not replacing CIPWM. The latter is a rather comfortable song for Maiden (which is the reason why it got included, other than being a classic single and representation for SSOASS), while the former is a rather challenging song that didn't even survive the entirety of its original tour. If they'll change the setlist, it's going to add simpler songs like Wrathchild, not make the setlist even harder for them.
Given the theme of the tour, the absence of Darkest Hour was no surprise. Ballads are specific live and I think the song is more like 2 A.M., Como Estais Amigos, even Journeyman. Coming Home is more like Blood Brothers or Out Of The Shadows (which was played only during the 2nd leg). The most curious thing is that Darkest Hour and Parchment are Nicko's favorite songs from the album and they don't play any of them. Hmmm...

Time Machine and CIPWM aren't going anywhere for the reasons you mentioned. I also agree about Sea Of Madness too - I prefer it over Wasted Years for this tour though.

IMO at best they could change 1 song - Celts for Parchment or add back Number (simpler song) or Hallowed (difficult song). I thought they would play Brave New World on this tour for sure, but they will probably save it for the next tour. It's not a difficult song.
Adding simpler songs? I'm not sure - Great Unknown was definitely not easy for Bruce live.
Based on the rumours regarding another European leg next summer, which songs would you expert to change them?
Regarding this, I think the reasons could be:

1) they view this tour as an album tour - and the album tours are usually 2 years.
2) they want to record a new album to go along with the 50th anniv. - doubtful, after Steve's comments, but why not?
3) this tour has challenging songs for them and they want to move on to the next one with maybe more rare songs - to play as many different tours as possible.

Regarding this, I think the reasons could be:

1) they view this tour as an album tour - and the album tours are usually 2 years.
2) they want to record a new album to go along with the 50th anniv. - doubtful, after Steve's comments, but why not?
3) this tour has challenging songs for them and they want to move on to the next one with maybe more rare songs - to play as many different tours as possible.
What were Steve's comments about this?

What were Steve's comments about this?
Steve's said they will be focusing on touring now rather than a new album. He also has an idea of releasing more albums - if the band semi-retire.
I think I'd rather the next tour (if there is one) focus on more rare and unplayed songs. I think the past three tours has shown there's an appetite for it, not only from the audiences but from the band.
^ Best case scenario. That and a new album. A 50th anniv tour with (some) rarities and only a couple of classics (like for this tour) would be quite the event.

I think I'd rather the next tour (if there is one) focus on more rare and unplayed songs. I think the past three tours has shown there's an appetite for it, not only from the audiences but from the band.
I'm all for it but I think it wouldn't go down too well with the Nostalgia Fans in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back