The Final Frontier charts' thread

It's true about the States. Full MSG = 20.000 people on 19 million people NY metro zone.
They've played bigger audiences on packed stadiums in European countries that have less people than NY metro. For instance,  whole Croatia has 4.5 million, they played in front of ~ 33.000.

Forostar said:
Crimson Mask, no prob, I don't mind. Slag all countries off as long as it isn't America. Then trouble will come for you.

Wrong, the trouble comes for you when you slag off any country unless you are clearly and obviously joking.

Crimson Mask said:
I'm going to start making broad hate-filled generalizations of Greece as a country and Greek people specifically, is everyone cool with this?
I am cause , really , things like this don't affect me (and i am the first to blame my countrymen and country for everything i find wrong with them).

Zare said:
It's true about the States. Full MSG = 20.000 people on 19 million people NY metro zone.
They've played bigger audiences on packed stadiums in European countries that have less people than NY metro. For instance,  whole Croatia has 4.5 million, they played in front of ~ 33.000.

What's your point?  MSG has a certain capacity, it has nothing to do with anything.

ironpaiste said:
Great news and it seems that there are many more number one places coming for Maiden from countries like Italy, Greece , Slovenia (since Slovenia isn't mentioned in EMI's PR). This plus the news that the album is doing great in the U.K in its second week suggest a true triumph for the band !!! Seriously getting to number 1 in ALL of Europe's big markets (among oothers ) like Germany, France, U.k , Spain is amazing !!

The point is that Maiden felt that they have a certain appeal, otherwise they'd try to play open-air venues. It's just that a 16 stop tour really isn't *that* big in the USA. You're looking at 20,000 max per venue, or around 320,000 people...which is less than 0.1% of the USA's population. Not really that big of an effort. They're playing gigs they know they'll sell out, and no more.

Zare said:
They've played bigger audiences on packed stadiums in European countries that have less people than NY metro. For instance,  whole Croatia has 4.5 million, they played in front of ~ 33.000.

That's pretty much what I said earlier on page 9.  Maiden would have to tour like they did on World Slavery tour to get to the equivalent of playing packed stadiums in small countries.

Crimson Mask said:
What's your point?  MSG has a certain capacity, it has nothing to do with anything.

The point is, selling out venue of X size is a different achievement if done in a city that big than it is if done in a country that is many times smaller.  Doing 16 gigs of that size isn't actually a very large tour compared to many European countries.

Edit: Loosey got it before me.

I think the one thing that it does prove about the US is that more folks are interested in seeing Iron Maiden live than they necessarily are about hearing new music.  Sad but true.

What's your point?  MSG has a certain capacity, it has nothing to do with anything.

You simply fail to understand.

Maiden played L.A. Forum on the SBIT tour (which was their biggest tour by attendance, ever). 17.000 people.
They've topped U.S.A. with World Slavery Tour. Then, they played four nights at Long Beach Arena. 14.000 people each night.

For the comparison, Pink Floyd played two consecutive nights at Anaheim Stadium (In The Flesh Tour, 1977), around 90.000 people each night. At that same tour, they've played similar audiences in Europe, as Maiden on World Slavery Tour in Europe. And far, far less numerous audiences than Maiden on SBIT European leg.

Excuse me, but there are a lot of stadiums in NY metro area that can support > 30.000 people. Yet Maiden decided for MSG because they weren't sure they'd sell out some NY stadium.
Why they wouldn't sell out NY stadium? Because the percentage of European Maiden fans in total European population is far greater than the equivalent ratio in USA.

There's an arena that can hold up to 10.000 in concert, an arena that can hold up to 15.000 in concert, a small stadium that can hold up to 20.000 in concert, and a big one that can hold up to 60.000 in concert. They played on the big one, configured to 35.000 max. They knew they couldn't sell out 60.000, so they've covered whole east shell (half of seating capacity) with stage. But they knew they would sell way more than 20.000, unlike in New York. New York metro has almost 20 million people. My city with it's suburbia has half million people. NY has 40 times the people, yet the attendance was 1.5 times less.

Do you understand now?

P.S. i just don't get that some American Maiden fans are too proud to admit that their countrymen don't like them (as much as in some other countries in the world). Bashing countries is wrong (unless it's backed by objective facts), but not admitting some negative facts (which are subjective, by the way!) is even more. I bash my own people and country on everyday basis, in hope that those things i don't like will change for better. Nothing wrong with that.

Zare said:
i just don't get that some American Maiden fans are too proud to admit that their countrymen don't like them (as much as in some other countries in the world). Bashing countries is wrong (unless it's backed by objective facts), but not admitting some negative facts (which are subjective, by the way!) is even more. I bash my own people and country on everyday basis, in hope that those things i don't like will change for better. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't think anyone's denying that Maiden isn't as popular in the States as they are in other countries.  I think the main issue is guys like johnglen seem to be simmering with contempt for America just because of its taste in music - remember, taste is subjective.  Do I wish Maiden were bigger here?  Absolutely, they totally deserve it.  But to slag on a nation just because they don't like the bands you like is pretty ridiculous.

p4warrior said:
I don't think anyone's denying that Maiden isn't as popular in the States as they are in other countries.  I think the main issue is guys like johnglen seem to be simmering with contempt for America just because of its taste in music - remember, taste is subjective.  Do I wish Maiden were bigger here?  Absolutely, they totally deserve it.  But to slag on a nation just because they don't like the bands you like is pretty ridiculous.

Not to mention he keeps saying "the numbers don't lie" or something around the lines "it's plain to see" without offering ANY numbers or plainly seen evidence, meh I don't read his posts anymore.

Zare, now we're talking. And I don't think you're bashing. Just comparing.

More difficult is trying to find out why the percentage in the USA is lower. Religion could be part of the reason yes.

Religion in America has little to no reason why they sell fewer albums here.  Those folks aren't buying rock records period, let alone Maiden ones.

Lackadaisical and unrealistic fans who expect Powerslave part 2, rampant downloaders, folks who's lives don't revolve around Maiden and who'll buy it eventually are more to blame than anything else.  

Onhell said:
Not to mention he keeps saying "the numbers don't lie" or something around the lines "it's plain to see" without offering ANY numbers or plainly seen evidence, meh I don't read his posts anymore.
Why don't you people just drop it and want to continue on this ? 62000 in the biggest market in the world , what more do you want to see ??
Anyway Zare's post perfectly sums up my thoughts.

Back