"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 'last album' question is something I've thought about. It's up in the air, we don't know, of course, and they don't know either. And I still haven't relistened to the album in full since the other day, so my views might change. Although I liked TFF, I always felt it would be a shame if it was their last. After hearing this one, I asked myself: "What if this was Maiden's swansong?" Actually, I think it would be a strong ending to a great career.

Even if they do record an other album i'm too too worried on the quality. will it be as good as TBOS? maybe not but to me DOD wasn't as good as BNW & TFF wasn't as good as AMOLAD but i still consider them to be great albums nonetheless

I think the idea of a world without Maiden is a rather frightening prospect.
I'm sure they'll be around for a few years yet.
And anyway, Eddie is clearly immortal.:)

They should do what they think is right. But now we have 4 days to premiere of great album, that's happy time. We have time to think about what next later.

Like they've said many times already. They don't think about a last album - but rather make every album and tour AS IF it was their last. We're just a long for the ride for as long as it lasts.

As they've gotten older, the pace of their music has eroded. Especially the guitar playing. And to me, it's at the point now where, anything slower than what they are doing, it's just not good enough. It's at the point now where another album would be just too slow & boring. For me. That's the progression of the music since reunion.

Too many songs on this album like TOAC, MOS & WTRRD are just simple chords being struck over & over or a chord played out & sustained while everything else keeps the song going. For that reason alone, those 3 songs I'm not happy with will never be played. Everyone talked about the riff on TOAC & I am asking myself what riff? That's not a riff at all! Makes me feel like I dl'd the wrong song!

First song I heard was Aces High & was instant love. Songs like that & Flash of the Blade are what made me start playing guitar. Fast, aggressive guitar riffs & licks.The harmonies are still there but, the speed & the licks have vanished with time.

As they've gotten older, the pace of their music has eroded. Especially the guitar playing. And to me, it's at the point now where, anything slower than what they are doing, it's just not good enough. It's at the point now where another album would be just too slow & boring. For me. That's the progression of the music since reunion.

Too many songs on this album like TOAC, MOS & WTRRD are just simple chords being struck over & over or a chord played out & sustained while everything else keeps the song going. For that reason alone, those 3 songs I'm not happy with will never be played. Everyone talked about the riff on TOAC & I am asking myself what riff? That's not a riff at all! Makes me feel like I dl'd the wrong song!

First song I heard was Aces High & was instant love. Songs like that & Flash of the Blade are what made me start playing guitar. Fast, aggressive guitar riffs & licks.The harmonies are still there but, the speed & the licks have vanished with time.

If Iron Maiden decided to do a Drone or Funeral Doom Metal album i wouldn't complain as long as the music is good. one of the best things about being a fan of a band like Iron Maiden is that you can go on a musical journey with them, wherever they may roam

As they've gotten older, the pace of their music has eroded.

Of course! We're not children anymore (some of us at least), and neither are they. There's more to music (even metal :p) than just speed and aggressiveness. I love Aces High (which btw contains exactly one riff) to death, but this is not necessarily worse if it doesn't sound like a bunch of 20 year old kids. Just different

That is just how it goes. They are pushing 60 now. When they did Flash of The Blade and Aces High they were around 25 or 26 years old....An absolutely unfair comparison to make. Enjoy what they do now before it is too late.

I'm not complaining, far from it.

Age really shouldn't have anything to do with it though. It doesn't for other bands. They stopped doing it a long time ago(mid 90's), when they were still relatively young(early 40).

So, I don't think it's an unfair comparison. Listen to the 5:49 mark in TBOS I believe it is. It's there. And very short lived. They used to make songs out of that. Now, it's just a piece of a longer, slower track. It's done by choice, not ability. It's the biggest tease ever. That is what made Maiden famous & so beloved. They can & do, do it occasionally.

I'm not saying I don't enjoy it, I do. They are my favorite band. PERIOD. Supported them during the good & bad. Saw them in arena's during their heydays & small clubs at their lowest.
But, those 3 songs in particular, if that's what's on the horizon for them, they should call it quits while they are still recognizable.

Well, you can compare their new work to classics but I like to enjoy the music and compare it to other bands right now. It's not old maiden, yeah and I get your point but I like the "new" direction.

Age really shouldn't have anything to do with it though. It doesn't for other bands

Depends who you want to compare too here.Contemporaries in the 80s soooo..Judas Priest? Maiden are ten times more energetic than Priest on stage...Maiden might look their age on stage but act like 30 year olds...Priest looks and feels like their age.

So, I don't think it's an unfair comparison

Well you just moved from 1984 to 1992! You were talking about Aces High/Blade in your first post but OK - It is still an unfair comparison really IMO. I don't know if you've ever played music? Also, around the late 80s was when most of Maiden finally settled down with family and kids.

Overall, yes it is totally unfair to compare anything they did 20 years from now to what they do now..20 years?! Think about how much you've changed in 20 years?

Last edited:
Iron Maiden is in a paradox which is the result of having 16 albums. There is only so many notes in the pool to grab. They are at the point now where if they make another album like this, it will be a letdown for being too similar. On the flipside, if they go drastically different, it will be a letdown for not sounding like Maiden.

I really want this to be their last. Like many others, I have grown up on Maiden and stuck with them through the highs and lows. We also need to be realistic. Bruce cannot sing like he used to. Bless this man for delivering such a great performance but those high notes are all but done for him.

BoS is great. I love it. This is how I want them to go out.

I really enjoyed the new album. Honestly, I was not expecting much of The Book Of Souls.

Rating: 9

Favorite tracks:

If Eternity Should Fail

Empire Of The Clouds

Shadows Of The Valley

Tears of a Clown

The Man of Sorrows

The Red and the Black

Iron Maiden is in a paradox which is the result of having 16 albums. There is only so many notes in the pool to grab. They are at the point now where if they make another album like this, it will be a letdown for being too similar. On the flipside, if they go drastically different, it will be a letdown for not sounding like Maiden.

I really want this to be their last. Like many others, I have grown up on Maiden and stuck with them through the highs and lows. We also need to be realistic. Bruce cannot sing like he used to. Bless this man for delivering such a great performance but those high notes are all but done for him.

BoS is great. I love it. This is how I want them to go out.

It's funny because Maiden fans are all like super into everything the band has ever done, they know exactly when what single was released and when and before what album - they know the time line of Iron Maiden by heart. And then if you ask the members of Iron Maiden themselves they are like..."ehhh I think we wrote that song in 83, or was it 82...HM I'm not really sure" You know they don' get caught up in all of that, they don't care about it like we do..... They create the stuff, love it in the moment and then move on..... Like true artists.

Certain song on this album can be played on this amp exclusively :D

c5-rouletee-Red.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back