THE BOOK OF SOULS: LIVE CHAPTER - New Live Album! - November 17th

That in a nutshell is why we should be able to buy physical products.
I was in Peak Collector mode when it came out, bought both cds and the box and 2 of the 12" as it was a poster sleeve so one for the wall and one for the collection.
Still, none of those articles were any use to me in work today.

Lol, why don’t you go put on your tin foil hat and take that sanctimonious attitude and do one. As I said I know enough about tech to know what satisfies my entertainment needs. Outside of that all that the shit you spouted is just a massive nerd rant. All that DRM in blu rays bollocks for example. All I need to know is a) a Blu ray disc has never not worked when I’ve played it and b) er that’s it. Oh, a Blu ray disc has HD picture and audio and looks the tits on my 4k tv and home cinema amp and speakers. Not really much else I need to know about Blu ray to be honest. I know enough to help me purchase the optimal gear for my budget, ie tv, home cinema setup, phone, tablet etc.

I couldn't give a stuff about DRM and unlock keys blah blah blah it means nothing of consequence to me or to millions of consumers.

That’s the last I’ll say on this as the whole thing is getting quite irritating and coming across like a dick measuring contest “look at me I know more about tech”. Good for you.

As I said, you don't understand shit. Goodbye.

I finally heard the CD. In The Book of Souls the keyboards are annoyingly dominant (and I realize also not a very good choice of sound: too percussive; if a softer/more swelling sound e.g. strings was used, the high volume in the mix would not have mattered that much) in the chorus. Once you notice this keyboard, you can't erase it anymore.

In this song but also in general: Adrian can only be heard during his solos and lead/melodic/harmonic work. I like how the drums are in the mix, but when vocals and/or keyboards and/or other guitar solos enter, his non-lead/melody (read: rhythm) guitar work drowns. I haven't put on all "recent" live productions in a row to compare, but I feel like Shirley did a better job when mixing the middle-in-audio-spectrum guitarist.

At the same time, I feel that Adrian outbalances this with solos. He plays the most solos on the new material, and they are executed the best. Also I think his solos are a bit better in the mix that Dave's.

Last edited:
In this song but also in general: Adrian can only be heard during his solos and lead/melodic/harmonic work. I like how the drums are in the mix, but when vocals and/or keyboards and/or other guitar solos enter, his non-lead/melody (read: rhythm) guitar work drowns. I haven't put on all "recent" live productions in a row to compare, but I feel like Shirley did a better job when mixing the middle-in-audio-spectrum guitarist.

At the same time, I feel that Adrian outbalances this with solos. He plays the most solos on the new material, and they are executed the best. Also I think his solos are a bit better in the mix that Dave's.

Although I think that Kevin Shirley's live mixes are better (especially Flight 666), I can hear most of Adrian's guitar parts quite clearly.

I was in Peak Collector mode when it came out, bought both cds and the box and 2 of the 12" as it was a poster sleeve so one for the wall and one for the collection.
Still, none of those articles were any use to me in work today.

What I meant was that if Virus or any other release from Maiden was never released on a physical format and was only available from a streaming provider then we are completely at the mercy of that provider continuing to provide access to it.

Listened (and watched) this on the big screen with the big(ger) speakers. I admit it sounded pretty good, honestly. Still think Adrian was too low in the mix outside of his solos (he's pretty low in the melody in TRATB too, so it's not just the rhythm guitar stuff that's a bit low) and the bass drum is oddly muddy at times (what's weird is it's not like this at all in the 2017 tunes, almost like they were mixed separately - there the bass drum is really defined and loud), but other than that it's not bad. The guitars do tend to get lost during the rhythm parts in general and I dunno why that is, maybe just the drums and vocals being so loud in comparison?

Also the bass being so low is still a bit strange. I'm okay with that, but it's a curious choice for Maiden.

What I meant was that if Virus or any other release from Maiden was never released on a physical format and was only available from a streaming provider then we are completely at the mercy of that provider continuing to provide access to it.
I get ye and totally agree. I stream but not exclusively and don't want to see physical release scaled back. It's just curious to me that they don't have their full, original catalogue on Spotify. Fair enough leaving out b-sides and whatnot but how much of a hassle would it be to add Virus?

Thing is, all releases including Virus have long been discontinued. Maiden obviously don't want to push BOTB anymore if they have two current compilations which, I guess, are considered "definite".

If you are really hard up and want to stream "Virus" you can stream "Blaise Bailey Finnegan III" by Godspeed You Black Emperor.

I get ye and totally agree. I stream but not exclusively and don't want to see physical release scaled back. It's just curious to me that they don't have their full, original catalogue on Spotify. Fair enough leaving out b-sides and whatnot but how much of a hassle would it be to add Virus?
Starting to suspect this is the laziest band ever.

It’s a silly criticism anyway. Very few bands put up old compilations and non album tracks.

Best of the Beast, including Virus, used to be on there in the early days of Spotify (2009/2010) but it got pulled from all digital outlets in favour of newer compilations. The same with Edward the Great.

You can always listen to Blaze Bayley's version from As Live As It Gets instead, which I think has a much stronger vocal performance.

Listened again this morning, I think the TBOS tracks translate really well live

However, I do hope that DoG doesn't return in the future. It sounds to me that Bruce really struggles in the verses

Listened again this morning, I think the TBOS tracks translate really well live

However, I do hope that DoG doesn't return in the future. It sounds to me that Bruce really struggles in the verses

I also hope DoG doesn’t return, but not because Bruce struggles with it. It’s just not really that great of a song. If any TBoS song returns, I think it should be Tears of a Clown. It was missing from the 2017 tour, and it came off really great live in 2016.

Back