THE BOOK OF SOULS: LIVE CHAPTER - New Live Album! - November 17th

I sometimes get the impression that the business people working with Maiden aren't really clued up on modern technology.

Well, they are following the current popular way of doing things is how I see it....Putting things out where people "consume" videos, music etc....So as such, I think Maiden's business people are just making sure they're not falling behind on that front...

If Maiden were putting out DVDs in 2017, but doing nothing else, that might also be a big problem business wise in this time and age...

Blu-ray is DRM. DRM is easily circumvented if you're a pirate and does nothing except creating security issues for "valid" users and increases their power bill. Matic is talking about the physical layer - it's the same, where laser is measuring the packet gaps in the media. But after it come the problems. If bulk of you isn't aware of how complete stack works, e.g. if you don't know the base process of how a basic 1980s disc player works, then you should read on technical specifications of formatting starting with the "Rainbow Books" series.

You don't need to have so much technical awareness to see that specifications describe everything, nothing is obscured. With blu-ray you have a "black box" part, the laser is reading encrypted information and this needs to be input into it. Look at this;

Edit : for people not techy, Blu-ray isn't CD, it's a CD in a locked box, and every time you hit play you're depending on the Blu-ray company to send you the key. The key and lock can magically change. You don't have a bloody clue of how the key company works, nor they're ever responsible for denying you a key.

Edit 2 : Maiden don't directly care about this but this has prevented wide adoption of Blu ray, and hence it has hampered releases. Blu-ray is Hollywood stuff. But if you like your Weinstein productions, go right ahead...

I have absolutely no idea what this post is even trying to say!!! And there was me thinking I was fairly up to date on tech lol.

Have absolutely no clue why your saying a blu ray is DRM either.

To put it in layman’s terms blu is simply the next logical evolution from dvd. The blu ray disc has a capacity that on average is 3/5 times more than a standard dvd. What this means is that dvd was perfect for storing standard definition images and sound. When high definition was beginning to take over a bigger capacity disc was required to store the high definition film and audio.

If you have a decent TV with a home cinema amp and 5.1 speakers then blu ray is a major step up from dvd in terms of both sound and picture. Blu ray is basically a high definition version of dvd.

Have no idea what Zara is going on about blu ray being a locked format requiring a key as you don’t need to be online to watch one so how a key is supposed to be sent each time I don’t know.

What disappoints me with Maiden is if they are going to go down the streaming/downloading route for future concert films then they need to offer a better product. This latest book of souls film is on iTunes in standard def only and stereo sound only. That’s utter bollocks as the YouTube footage is in HD. There’s some amazing concert films on iTunes that have a glorious HD picture and 5.1 sound so Maiden have simply been lazy with this and not bothered.

iTunes films now come with full bonus features, 4k HDR and 5.1 sound. The tech iTunes uses to compress their films is amazing and to my eyes the films look and sound as good as blu ray so Maiden need to embrace downloads and the tech properly.

It isn't down to your preferential stuff, whether you prefer technology and good business principles violated due to "better quality", since this isn't stuff that hampers quality at all. This is down to vendor locking and if you know anything about computer history and why the revolution has been done by IBM PC clones you'll know how much open specifications and interfaces mean to anyone asking for a fair entrance to the market. Blu-ray isn't as nearly as adopted as previous standards for optical media, requires various technology licenses and isn't applicable to anything out of consumer technology due to obfuscation and closed standards...consequentially you aren't getting your hi-def Maiden release on it. Streaming still isn't available in HD throughout the world, about 10% of the world's broadband access can do 4mbps constantly, disc media is heavily sold legally in Asia, there's a failed marked due to their corporate bullshit. This comes from the same cuisine that propagates the idea that implantation of mandatory backdoors into customer devices is something to be desired.

Wayne, read the goddamn standard. If you can't read the standard, don't consider yourself up to tech.

He also said, in the same interview, that the difference between a live stream and releasing a DVD is not that great. That releasing it on DVD is actually downscaling the quality of the footage. DVDs are old technology and just not worth it.....

I do wonder if that means they'll never put anything out on DVD again. I doubt that though.

He talks a lot of shit.

It isn't down to your preferential stuff, whether you prefer technology and good business principles violated due to "better quality", since this isn't stuff that hampers quality at all. This is down to vendor locking and if you know anything about computer history and why the revolution has been done by IBM PC clones you'll know how much open specifications and interfaces mean to anyone asking for a fair entrance to the market. Blu-ray isn't as nearly as adopted as previous standards for optical media, requires various technology licenses and isn't applicable to anything out of consumer technology due to obfuscation and closed standards...consequentially you aren't getting your hi-def Maiden release on it. Streaming still isn't available in HD throughout the world, about 10% of the world's broadband access can do 4mbps constantly, disc media is heavily sold legally in Asia, there's a failed marked due to their corporate bullshit. This comes from the same cuisine that propagates the idea that implantation of mandatory backdoors into customer devices is something to be desired.

Wayne, read the goddamn standard. If you can't read the standard, don't consider yourself up to tech.

Lol, sounds like the plot of some conspiracy theory film. I’m about as up on tech as I need to be to satisfy my own entertainment needs all the rest is utter guff to me.

All I can add to this is, Flight 666 was one of the last DVD's I bought back in 2009.

When I acquired my first Bluray player in early 2010, I repurchased Flight 666 on Bluray. The difference, to me, was like night and day. That's also why, since then, I have bought Bluray over DVD. I bought En Vivo in 2012 on Bluray. Maiden England wasn't released on Bluray, so I had to begrudgingly purchase it on DVD.

I also work in an electronics store. We consistently sell more Bluray copies of new releases over DVD. Not to mention all of the games released this console generation are on Bluray discs. Bluray was created to simply supersede the DVD. It isn't going anywhere anytime soon, it's biggest competition is going to be video on demand and streaming services in the future.

But yes, Bluray > DVD. High Definition video up to 3840×2160 pixels can be stored on Bluray discs at 60 FPS. DVD discs were limited to a max resolution of 720×576 pixels. I'll take the higher resolution picture quality anyday. And in all of the worry and freak outs about DRM, in the almost eight years I have been buying and owning Bluray discs, I have never once lost the rights or data to watch any of my content. So to each their own.

The point as far as I'm concerned is that I just prefer to have physical media. DVD, blu-ray - I'm not bothered, I have a player that will run either. I'm just don't like relying on pulling something nebulous out of the ether, and hoping it's still there the next time I want it.

(But apparently I'm an antique myself ...)

Lol, sounds like the plot of some conspiracy theory film. I’m about as up on tech as I need to be to satisfy my own entertainment needs all the rest is utter guff to me.

You don't understand shit. Sorry.

You don't understand shit. Sorry.

Lol, why don’t you go put on your tin foil hat and take that sanctimonious attitude and do one. As I said I know enough about tech to know what satisfies my entertainment needs. Outside of that all that the shit you spouted is just a massive nerd rant. All that DRM in blu rays bollocks for example. All I need to know is a) a Blu ray disc has never not worked when I’ve played it and b) er that’s it. Oh, a Blu ray disc has HD picture and audio and looks the tits on my 4k tv and home cinema amp and speakers. Not really much else I need to know about Blu ray to be honest. I know enough to help me purchase the optimal gear for my budget, ie tv, home cinema setup, phone, tablet etc.

I couldn't give a stuff about DRM and unlock keys blah blah blah it means nothing of consequence to me or to millions of consumers.

That’s the last I’ll say on this as the whole thing is getting quite irritating and coming across like a dick measuring contest “look at me I know more about tech”. Good for you.

NvDrm.gif

Back