SYMPHONY X SURVIVOR 2015: Results -> The Odyssey wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Thanks to all the voters! I'm not satisfied with the results. Most of my favorites didn't get out of the album rounds, let alone make it to Top 10 :( Still, at least I'm a bit more tolerant of the last 3 albums than I used to be.

Thanks for hosting! Top ten is so much better than last time, but Wings is still too low.

CHEERS for hosting, NP! This forum always needs more Symphony X love, IMO.

I'm incredibly happy with the results. The best song won, 4 songs from The Odyssey made the top ten, and at least 8 of these songs are probably in my personal top ten. A great game all around, even if the voting for some of the newer albums was a bit disappointing.

Thanks for hosting, Night Prowler!

I'm quite satisfied with the results. Also I'm very grateful for this survivor for providing me the opportunity to more fully discover an amazing band that I wasn't very familiar with at the beginning.

This was a fun survivor; thanks, Night Prowler!

I still think the quintessential Symphony X top 3 are Odyssey, Divine Wings, and Looking Glass (from strongest to weakest), but overall I'm satisfied with the results. I still think Rediscovery and Candlelight should have been in the top 10, with Inferno and Revelation being excluded. Some of the results from the newer albums was a bit unsettling, with standout tracks like Underworld, Kiss of Fire, Heretic, and Reign in Madness being eliminated too soon.

The important thing is that 9 out of the top 10 were proper epics. I've always maintained the belief that Symphony X are far better at writing these types of songs than the shorter, heavier ones. They're great at those, too - but so are countless other metal bands. How many bands can write songs with the power and multi-layeredness of The Odyssey or Divine Wings?

Thanks for the hosting. I've decided not to vote regarding my satisfaction, because while the top 10 I could agree with easily, a lot of my favourite songs got eliminated far too quickly, whereas some turds off V got really far.

Also, just as expected (and as I expect regarding the future Dream Theater survivor), the play-classics tendencies were still somewhat high (although not as high as in the current Symph album survivor).

Some of the results from the newer albums was a bit unsettling, with standout tracks like Underworld, Kiss of Fire, Heretic, and Reign in Madness being eliminated too soon.
Also, just as expected (and as I expect regarding the future Dream Theater survivor), the play-classics tendencies were still somewhat high (although not as high as in the current Symph album survivor).

Yeah, it kinda ruins the joy of doing new survivors when literally nothing from any of the last few albums makes it near the top ten. I'm expecting everything from the non-Portnoy DT albums to get immediately eliminated, just as we saw here with the majority of the PL-Underworld material.

Eh, the first two non-Portnoy DT albums did well when we did survivors. DT12 material just barely missed the top 10 and Outcry made it before that. I think they'll be fine.

Astonishing will get slaughtered, but not because it is new.

Astonishing will get slaughtered, but not because it is new.

For good reason. I love the album as a whole, but no single song on the album deserves a spot anywhere near the Top 10. The only one that comes close, IMO, is Moment of Betrayal, and even that's not top 25 worthy.

For good reason. I love the album as a whole, but no single song on the album deserves a spot anywhere near the Top 10. The only one that comes close, IMO, is Moment of Betrayal, and even that's not top 25 worthy.
Exactly. The Astonishing has no business being included in a Survivor styled game, but we're going to do it anyway because we're survivor crazy here at Maidenfans. :D

I'm not sure if many other people will feel the same, but Lost Not Forgotten is actually my favorite post-Portnoy era DT song. I hope it will be able to approach the top 10.

I've tried many times to get into Lost Not Forgotten, but I just can't. The chorus would be memorable if it weren't for the bits of wank scattered throughout, and the whole intro loses me. I love their more technical stuff, but once Jordan joined the band those elements just seemed to go too over-the-top. I feel that with Moore and Sherinian they executed them in a more subtle way.

I'm not sure if many other people will feel the same, but Lost Not Forgotten is actually my favorite post-Portnoy era DT song. I hope it will be able to approach the top 10.

Well, thank you sir. Finally!

(wanted to post the table-banging gif, but I was too lazy)

The chorus would be memorable if it weren't for the bits of wank scattered throughout, and the whole intro loses me.

The bits of wank make it one of my favourite choruses ever and the "tickle session" makes me a Petrudesslave.

Not saying I demand top 10 spot, but I would love to see some appreciation for Enemies (and the whole SC album, Ministry being right behind), LNF, Outcry, Count, Misunderstood, the whole Octavarium album, Glass Prison, Endless Sacrifice and This Dying Soul, 'cause these songs seem very under-appreciated to me in general.

Back