SYMPHONY X SURVIVOR 2015: Results -> The Odyssey wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
SURVIVOR_RULES_017.jpg

Welcome to Symphony X Survivor II!
There will be 9 albums in this game.
We start off with the first two albums - Symphony X and The Damnation Game.
This first round will last for a while; if you can't vote right away, just post here and I'll wait for you - I won't update until everyone's voted.
Enjoy!

The Damnation Game is such a good album.

I don't even wanna bother listening to the first one, we all know nothing is going to go far.

Gee, it seems I’ve forgotten how bad the debut really is. It sounds like sh*t, that singer’s really annoying and the songs are realy not good enough to save it.

Will try to vote as soon as possible, I'm currently listening to both.

This is difficult, because imagining the songs from the debut with Russell singing on them makes them pretty decent songs. Well, most of them. Namely the ones I didn't vote for.

Damnation Game is a solid album that suffers from pretty weak production. But there's so many classics on it -- Dressed, Edge, Winter's -- that make it a great listen. It's nice to hear the band expand on the sound from this album with their following three, which is what cement them in place as the best neoclassical progressive/power metal band in history. The Odyssey (a great album, but in a different way) started their "Omg heavier is bettar!!" vibe, and as much as I like it and (most of) the three albums that followed it, it was the last album that truly had classic Symphony X "magic."

I'm a n00b when it comes to Symphony x, but It's a band I've always wanted to get into. I've heard The Odyssey and Iconoclast (albums) and nothing else. I'd love to participate in this survivor, if it's cool. It will take me a bit to listen to each album, but I'll do my best to get my votes in on time.

Queuing up the first album right...NOW!

Honestly, listening to the debut I'm getting an irresistible desire to fu*k any careful consideration and simply vote for any songs from it until they're all gone. It's Mostly Harmful.

If you vote for all songs from one album that won't help your agenda of having them all eliminated as fast as possible, because 3 songs will be promoted no matter what.

If you vote for all songs from one album that won't help your agenda of having them all eliminated as fast as possible, because 3 songs will be promoted no matter what.

I know, but more negative votes never hurt no one :D
But I will listen to it carefully anyway and vote wisely. Since Symphony is one of my favourite bands, I do not take this survivor lightly. :)

Yep that was my mistake. Selected the Damnation Game songs I liked the least as a way of bookmarking them for later, accidentally hit the vote button. :p

I'll change it when I listen to the debut.

And fixed! Works out that there were exactly 3 songs I enjoyed.

You know, the debut isn't as bad as I remembered. Underneath the muddy production and weak singing there's a solid album in there. It sounds like Symphony X at least, a lot of their tropes are in there already. I liked 3 songs and that's more than the last time I listened to it. :D

Screw it, I just relistened to the debut for the first time in probably 5-6 years and I know that I couldn't vote for a single song off of Damnation Game. This album is just so...blah.

Voting for everything except Masquerade (mostly because I know what it became later), Absinthe and Rue, and Lesson Before Dying.

You know, the debut isn't as bad as I remembered. Underneath the muddy production and weak singing there's a solid album in there. It sounds like Symphony X at least, a lot of their tropes are in there already. I liked 3 songs and that's more than the last time I listened to it. :D

As far as the songwriting goes, I completely agree. I was shocked at how solid some of the songs were in theory. In practice, however, the production is absolutely dreadful, the singing is horrendous, and there are some disjointed parts/errors in songwriting judgment (mostly Shades of Grey).

But honestly, I couldn't belief how much it adheres to the Symphony X sound we all know and love. There are some songs that are virtually identical to later songs in the catalogue, so Romeo clearly knew he had some good ideas kicking around on this debut.

Yeah, the debut's a good prototype. I will probably not vote for The Raging Season, Premonition, Absinthe and Rue and A Lesson Before Dying. But Shades of Grey is atrocious.

After a few listens to the debut album, I feel ready enough to put in some votes. Normally I will wait until I am able to digest all the songs currently in the game, but I wanted to get some votes in now, while I have the chance. Plus, the consensus around here seems to be that the first album is by far the weakest. I'll reserve the right to vote for some songs from Damnation Game next round, If I feel it necessary.

My votes: Into The Dementia, The Raging Season, Premonition, Shades Of Grey, Rapture Or Pain, Thorns Of Sorrow.

I fell this first album does have its moments, just not nearly enough of them to make up for all the bad ones. Absinthe And Rue was the biggest highlight, and a few of the other songs were decent enough. I'm still unsure of what to think of A Lesson Before Dying. It isn't bad, but it didn't really jump out at me either. I'll probably end up giving it a vote soon enough in an upcoming round.

Now starting up The Damnation Game.

I'm still unsure of what to think of A Lesson Before Dying. It isn't bad, but it didn't really jump out at me either. I'll probably end up giving it a vote soon enough in an upcoming round.

It gets a lot of credit simply because it's the first long SX song. There are some really cool musical parts, but overall, it's not very good. Absinthe and Rue is certainly the best overall song on the album.

I think Premonition, Absinthe, Thorns, and Lesson would all be solid songs with Russell singing. Masquerade gets a lot of love because of the re-recording featuring Russell (see below), but the original recording of it isn't all that great in my book.

Back