Steve Harris: one of the greatest metal songwriters ever or a magpie?

I can't see which member you are bickering with... but I am glad that's because I have already made them an ignored member. ;)

The kindergarten is closed now, we can all behave like adults again please.

Paradoxically, as much as Steve tends to write alone, I think the quality of his input varies according to his perception of the band's motivation (or should I say "Bruce's") and implication in the album about to be recorded.
Of course, this "theory" is not really one, because it is based on one's subjective appreciation of Maiden's catalogue but, in my opinion, this would explain why I rate TNOTB or Piece of Mind much higher than SiT for example. ;)
SiT sounds like Smith and Harris having a fantastic time, to me, but Bruce isn't firing on all cylinders. Nothing wrong with his singing as such, it just either isn't ideal for his voice, or he's not into it.

Sorry, the bit that clearly influenced Steve is 5 minutes and 16 seconds into the song.

True, but if I remember correctly lira27 mentioned that Dennis has had some input into the song too.

Dave Murray wrote the opening to Infinite Dreams but no credit to him given.... seems Steve won't do it unless they wrote a great portion of it

The part with the witch hunt was related to something different.

The part with the "fuck off & have a wank" was responded to with "let's all behave like adults". Which was the same thing I told you when you brought it back up after it died down.

What I think is that there's a limited number of note combinations which can be pulled off, and sometimes they overlap with, or are even unintentionally "stolen" from other already existing songs. That's why I don't think "The Nomad" case, for instance, was intentional. At all. Okay, Steve listened to Beckett a lot when he was a teenager. But how many more songs has he heard for the next 20 years or so? I'm sure he's heard a lot more. He could've easily come up with "The Nomad"'s instrumental section without remembering where it was from (or even if it had already been pulled off). As for the other examples given here, most of the melodies presented are simple, generic and overused, so I can't blame Steve for relying on them to build a completely different song (that is, if he even knows all of these songs we're talking about).

Back