Sabaton

I remember they headlined a BBQ restaurant out here that held maybe 100 people. That was 2013 or earlier. Dunno what the turnout was like, I didn't go.

I think they could bigger venues on a co-headline tour, but not by themselves.

I just check out all of their shows on setlist.fm and they haven't had much for headlining. Maybe after the upcoming tour with Trivium, they'll give it a try to see if they've gained a following. Then again, they probably don't have any say about touring and have to go where they're booked.

I haven't checked all the other venues for the UK leg of their tour next year, but they've moved up to a slightly bigger venue in Manchester (3500 capacity) after selling out Manchester Academy with their Alestorm co-headline tour earlier this year.

Well, here's the answer to my question. WOW! A great reception! I wonder how many people in the crowd are even there for Trivium. LOL Sabaton definitely needs to try a full headlining tour here.

I'll be at the Peoria, IL show in a few weeks. Can't wait! I actually like Trivium and saw them play a year ago, but I will definitely be tired out and ready for home by the time they hit the stage.

AND THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!!!!

The Official Sabaton Calendar:

January
8: Second Day of the Battle for Hill 3234 - Hill 3234 - The Last Stand (1988 CE)
16: The Carolean Death March ends - Ruina Imperii - Carolus Rex (1719 CE)
17: Operation Desert Storm begins - Reign of Terror - Primo Victoria (1991 CE)
20: The Wannsee Conference marks the introduction of the Final Solution as official Nazi policy - The Final Solution - Coat of Arms (1942 CE)
23: Second Day of the Battle of Rorke's Drift - Rorke's Drift - The Last Stand (1879 CE)

February
2: 6th German Army surrenders at Stalingrad - Stalingrad - Primo Victoria (1943 CE)
13: The Battle of Fraustadt - Killing Ground - Carolus Rex (1706 CE)
15: The final day of the Firebombing of Dresden - Firestorm - The Art of War (1945 CE)
22: The Purple Heart authorized by the US government - Purple Heart - Primo Victoria (1932 CE)
28: Operation Gunnerside leads to the destruction of Germany's heavy water reserves - Saboteurs - Coat of Arms (1943 CE)

March
2: Audie Murphy wins his first Bronze Star at Anzio - To Hell and Back - Heroes (1944 CE)
6: Simo Häyhä is critically wounded by counter-sniper operations - White Death - Coat of Arms (1940 CE)
13: The Winter War ends - Talvisota - The Art of War (1940 CE)
20: Operation Iraqi Freedom begins - Panzer Battalion - Primo Victoria (2003 CE)

April
5: Crowning of Charles XII of Sweden - Carolus Rex - Carolus Rex - (1697 CE)
10: Han tombs are discovered containing ancient copies of The Art of War - The Art of War - The Art of War (1972 CE)
14: Three men of the Brazilian Expeditionary Force fight to the death and are honoured by their foes - Smoking Snakes - Heroes (1945 CE)
25: ANZAC forces begin landing at Gallipoli - Cliffs of Gallipoli - The Art of War (1915 CE)
27: Witold Pilecki escaped from Auchwitz Concentration Camp - Inmate 4859 - Heroes (1943 CE)
28: German 9th and 12th Armies form a corridor for civilians to flee from the Soviet Zone of Occupation - Hearts of Iron - Heroes (1945 CE)

May
2: Berlin falls to the Soviet Army - Attero Dominatus - Attero Dominatus (1945 CE)
5: Battle for Castle Itter - The Last Battle - The Last Stand - (1945 CE)
6: The Stand of the Swiss Guard, Habsburg Sack of Rome - The Last Stand - The Last Stand (1527 CE)
10: Chasseurs Ardennais engage German forces for the first time - Resist and Bite - Heroes (1940 CE)
11: Convoy ON 92 is attacked by Wolfpack Hecht; seven ships lost - Wolfpack - Primo Victoria (1942 CE)
18: Polish II Corps carries Monte Cassino - Union (Slopes of St. Benedict) - The Art of War (1944 CE)
21: German 7th Panzer division engages the British Expeditionary Force at the Battle of Arras - Ghost Division - The Art of War (1940 CE)

June
5: The Six-Day War begins - Counterstrike - Primo Victoria (1967 CE)
6: Operation Overlord begins - Primo Victoria - Primo Victoria (1944 CE)
14: Argentine forces on the Falklands surrender to the British - Back in Control - Attero Dominatus (1982 CE)
24: Second Day of the Battle of Bannockburn - Blood of Bannockburn - The Last Stand (1314 CE)

July
4: The Battle of Midway - Midway - Coat of Arms (1942 CE)
5: Yugoslav Partisans retake Zvornik in one of their first major successes - Unbreakable - The Art of War (1943 CE)
8: The Battle of Poltava - Poltava - Carolus Rex (1709 CE)
11: The Bosnian Genocide begins - We Burn - Attero Dominatus (1995 CE)
12: The Battle of Prokhorovka - Panzerkampf - The Art of War (1943 CE)
20: Swedish intervention in the Thirty Year Wars begins - A Lifetime of War - Carolus Rex (1630 CE)
30: Leslie "Bull" Allen wins the US Silver Star for rescuing a dozen US servicemen - The Ballad of Bull - Heroes (1943 CE)

August
1: The Warsaw Uprising begins - Uprising - Coat of Arms (1944 CE)
2: Adolf Hitler becomes Führer of Nazi German - Rise of Evil - Attero Dominatus (1934 CE)
6: Hiroshima is destroyed by the first nuclear weapon used in anger - Nuclear Attack - Attero Dominatus (1945 CE)
7: George Washington
15: Aldertag in the Battle of Britain - Aces in Exile - Coat of Arms (1940 CE)
20: The Wehrmacht is officially disbanded by the Allied Control Council - Wehrmacht - Coat of Arms (1946 CE)

September
7: Beginning of the Battle of Wizna - 40 : 1 - The Art of War (1939 CE)
10: Third Day of the Battle of Thermopylae - Sparta - The Last Stand (480 BCE)
11: Al-Qaeda attacks New York and Washington DC - In the Name of God - Attero Dominatus (2001 CE)
12: Battle of Vienna - Winged Hussars - The Last Stand (1683 CE)
17: Battle of Breitenfeld - Gott Mit Uns - Carolus Rex (1631 CE)
24: The Battle of Shiroyama - Shiroyama - The Last Stand (1877 CE)

October
2: Nine companies of the 77th (Liberty) US Infantry Division are lost during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive - The Lost Battalion - The Last Stand (1918 CE)
7: Dragutin Gavrilović leads a charge in Belgrade - Last Dying Breath - The Last Stand (1915 CE)
8: Joseph Stalin issues Order Number 0099 to create three all-female bomber squadrons - Night Witches - Heroes (1941 CE)
18: Larry Thorne, AKA Lauri Törni, is killed in Vietnam, serving for his third army - Soldier of Three Armies - Heroes (1966 CE)
28: Italy invades Greece - Coat of Arms - Coat of Arms (1940 CE)
30: Air Marshal Karel Janousek is born - Far From the Fame - Heroes (1893 CE)

November
1: The Battle of Prague ends - 1648 - Carolus Rex - (1648 CE)
6: The Canadian Corps captures Passchendaele - The Price of a Mile - The Art of War (1917 CE)
7: The UN Emergency Force is created to perform peacekeeping duties in the Suez - Light in the Black - Attero Dominatus (1956 CE)
11: The Great War ends - Angels Calling - Attero Dominatus (1918 CE)
15: The US deploys napalm in direct support to US forces in Vietnam for the first time at la Drang - Into the Fire - Attero Dominatus (1965 CE)
30: The first major engagement for the Caroleans, the First Battle of Narva - The Carolean's Prayer - Carolus Rex - (1700 CE)

December

9: Birth of Gustaf II Adolf, best known as Gustavus Adolphus - Lion of the North - Carolus Rex - (1594 CE)
11: Death of Charles XII - Long Live the King - Carolus Rex (1718 CE)
20: The Franz-Stiegler incident occurs - No Bullets Fly - Heroes (1943 CE)
22: American Brig-Gen McAuliffe refuses requests to surrender the Bastogne pocket with the phrase, "Nuts!" - Screaming Eagles - Coat of Arms (1944 CE)

Last night's show in Peoria was amazing. Headed down early (it's about a 3 hour drive from me) with @Detective Beauregard, checked out a local brewery with a beer called Panzer Pilsner (!), grabbed some tortas and went to the venue to wait in line...

...we were the 4th and 5th person there, and this was only 90 mins before doors opening. Needless to say, the show was definitely not sold out. I'd say about half full. But hey, that meant that we got to stand direct front and center, with no one being assholes, and no moshing cause we stood next to an 8 year-old kid and his family.

Started the night with Huntress. They...tried way too hard. Also every song sounded exactly the same, the "singing" was not palatable, and the mix wasn't great either.

And then came Sabaton. Holy crap, the energy was electric in there. It was clear that a good percentage of the audience were either there only for Sabaton or also happened to be Sabaton fans.

Setlist here: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/sabaton/2016/limelight-eventplex-peoria-il-23fd24df.html

Pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/QiEzH

The band was absolutely amazing, especially Joakim and Chris (who played virtually 90% of the guitar solos). The new guy, Tommy, was really great and seemed thrilled to be there. Hannes, however, was a bit off his game and messed up a couple fills, had a timing issue or two, and lost three sticks during the show. He recovered well, though, and the songs never faltered. As always, the guys were incredibly grateful and full of hilarious banter. Some group of people just kept handing different flags to Joakim and he would wear them as capes (see the photo album above).

The kid next to me had a sign that ended up making it onstage before Joakim later called him up to hang out during the encore. They even gave him drum sticks and let him hit the cymbals around Hannes' kit throughout the last song. I feel so great and so bad for that kid, as he had the experience of a lifetime at his first heavy metal show and surely no other show will ever live up to it.

Nei5mIJ.jpg

I like Trivium, but we left after 4 songs. After Sabaton, nothing can compare save for one of my favorite bands. I call it the Sabaton Effect. Also, we had a very long drive home and I didn't fancy getting in at 3:30am.

Can't wait for a headlining tour!

That is SO AWESOME MKB! And that's great to hear that it seems like a lot of the fans are there mainly for Sabaton. I know what you mean when you like the opening band better than the headliner. I've been to a couple shows like that and also left in the middle of the headliner's set.

That's a very 'introduction to Sabaton' type setlist, but I suppose they were supporting, not headlining.

So they do play Bannockburn! Stands to go down well in Scotland. Ghost Division is a good opener, but I'm glad they followed it up with Sparta, that strikes me as a natural opener for their album tour. I'm seeing them headline at Manchester next year, so hopefully they'll do couple more songs from the new album.

That's a very 'introduction to Sabaton' type setlist, but I suppose they were supporting, not headlining.

So they do play Bannockburn! Stands to go down well in Scotland. Ghost Division is a good opener, but I'm glad they followed it up with Sparta, that strikes me as a natural opener for their album tour. I'm seeing them headline at Manchester next year, so hopefully they'll do couple more songs from the new album.

Yeah, it definitely was a little repetitive (aka they've played a lot of these on all of their US supporting tours), but hearing the new stuff was worth it. I wish they'd open with Night Witches, actually. Sparta was amazing, but it's a slower number. Great crowd participation, but I'm not sure how it would work as an opening track.

The Official Sabaton Calendar:

January
8: Second Day of the Battle for Hill 3234 - Hill 3234 - The Last Stand (1988 CE)
16: The Carolean Death March ends - Ruina Imperii - Carolus Rex (1719 CE)
17: Operation Desert Storm begins - Reign of Terror - Primo Victoria (1991 CE)
20: The Wannsee Conference marks the introduction of the Final Solution as official Nazi policy - The Final Solution - Coat of Arms (1942 CE)
23: Second Day of the Battle of Rorke's Drift - Rorke's Drift - The Last Stand (1879 CE)

February
2: 6th German Army surrenders at Stalingrad - Stalingrad - Primo Victoria (1943 CE)
13: The Battle of Fraustadt - Killing Ground - Carolus Rex (1706 CE)
15: The final day of the Firebombing of Dresden - Firestorm - The Art of War (1945 CE)
22: The Purple Heart authorized by the US government - Purple Heart - Primo Victoria (1932 CE)
28: Operation Gunnerside leads to the destruction of Germany's heavy water reserves - Saboteurs - Coat of Arms (1943 CE)

March
2: Audie Murphy wins his first Bronze Star at Anzio - To Hell and Back - Heroes (1944 CE)
6: Simo Häyhä is critically wounded by counter-sniper operations - White Death - Coat of Arms (1940 CE)
13: The Winter War ends - Talvisota - The Art of War (1940 CE)
20: Operation Iraqi Freedom begins - Panzer Battalion - Primo Victoria (2003 CE)

April
5: Crowning of Charles XII of Sweden - Carolus Rex - Carolus Rex - (1697 CE)
10: Han tombs are discovered containing ancient copies of The Art of War - The Art of War - The Art of War (1972 CE)
14: Three men of the Brazilian Expeditionary Force fight to the death and are honoured by their foes - Smoking Snakes - Heroes (1945 CE)
25: ANZAC forces begin landing at Gallipoli - Cliffs of Gallipoli - The Art of War (1915 CE)
27: Witold Pilecki escaped from Auchwitz Concentration Camp - Inmate 4859 - Heroes (1943 CE)
28: German 9th and 12th Armies form a corridor for civilians to flee from the Soviet Zone of Occupation - Hearts of Iron - Heroes (1945 CE)

May
2: Berlin falls to the Soviet Army - Attero Dominatus - Attero Dominatus (1945 CE)
5: Battle for Castle Itter - The Last Battle - The Last Stand - (1945 CE)
6: The Stand of the Swiss Guard, Habsburg Sack of Rome - The Last Stand - The Last Stand (1527 CE)
10: Chasseurs Ardennais engage German forces for the first time - Resist and Bite - Heroes (1940 CE)
11: Convoy ON 92 is attacked by Wolfpack Hecht; seven ships lost - Wolfpack - Primo Victoria (1942 CE)
18: Polish II Corps carries Monte Cassino - Union (Slopes of St. Benedict) - The Art of War (1944 CE)
21: German 7th Panzer division engages the British Expeditionary Force at the Battle of Arras - Ghost Division - The Art of War (1940 CE)

June
5: The Six-Day War begins - Counterstrike - Primo Victoria (1967 CE)
6: Operation Overlord begins - Primo Victoria - Primo Victoria (1944 CE)
14: Argentine forces on the Falklands surrender to the British - Back in Control - Attero Dominatus (1982 CE)
24: Second Day of the Battle of Bannockburn - Blood of Bannockburn - The Last Stand (1314 CE)

July
4: The Battle of Midway - Midway - Coat of Arms (1942 CE)
5: Yugoslav Partisans retake Zvornik in one of their first major successes - Unbreakable - The Art of War (1943 CE)
8: The Battle of Poltava - Poltava - Carolus Rex (1709 CE)
11: The Bosnian Genocide begins - We Burn - Attero Dominatus (1995 CE)
12: The Battle of Prokhorovka - Panzerkampf - The Art of War (1943 CE)
20: Swedish intervention in the Thirty Year Wars begins - A Lifetime of War - Carolus Rex (1630 CE)
30: Leslie "Bull" Allen wins the US Silver Star for rescuing a dozen US servicemen - The Ballad of Bull - Heroes (1943 CE)

August
1: The Warsaw Uprising begins - Uprising - Coat of Arms (1944 CE)
2: Adolf Hitler becomes Führer of Nazi German - Rise of Evil - Attero Dominatus (1934 CE)
6: Hiroshima is destroyed by the first nuclear weapon used in anger - Nuclear Attack - Attero Dominatus (1945 CE)
7: George Washington
15: Aldertag in the Battle of Britain - Aces in Exile - Coat of Arms (1940 CE)
20: The Wehrmacht is officially disbanded by the Allied Control Council - Wehrmacht - Coat of Arms (1946 CE)

September
7: Beginning of the Battle of Wizna - 40 : 1 - The Art of War (1939 CE)
10: Third Day of the Battle of Thermopylae - Sparta - The Last Stand (480 BCE)
11: Al-Qaeda attacks New York and Washington DC - In the Name of God - Attero Dominatus (2001 CE)
12: Battle of Vienna - Winged Hussars - The Last Stand (1683 CE)
17: Battle of Breitenfeld - Gott Mit Uns - Carolus Rex (1631 CE)
24: The Battle of Shiroyama - Shiroyama - The Last Stand (1877 CE)

October
2: Nine companies of the 77th (Liberty) US Infantry Division are lost during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive - The Lost Battalion - The Last Stand (1918 CE)
7: Dragutin Gavrilović leads a charge in Belgrade - Last Dying Breath - The Last Stand (1915 CE)
8: Joseph Stalin issues Order Number 0099 to create three all-female bomber squadrons - Night Witches - Heroes (1941 CE)
18: Larry Thorne, AKA Lauri Törni, is killed in Vietnam, serving for his third army - Soldier of Three Armies - Heroes (1966 CE)
28: Italy invades Greece - Coat of Arms - Coat of Arms (1940 CE)
30: Air Marshal Karel Janousek is born - Far From the Fame - Heroes (1893 CE)

November
1: The Battle of Prague ends - 1648 - Carolus Rex - (1648 CE)
6: The Canadian Corps captures Passchendaele - The Price of a Mile - The Art of War (1917 CE)
7: The UN Emergency Force is created to perform peacekeeping duties in the Suez - Light in the Black - Attero Dominatus (1956 CE)
11: The Great War ends - Angels Calling - Attero Dominatus (1918 CE)
15: The US deploys napalm in direct support to US forces in Vietnam for the first time at la Drang - Into the Fire - Attero Dominatus (1965 CE)
30: The first major engagement for the Caroleans, the First Battle of Narva - The Carolean's Prayer - Carolus Rex - (1700 CE)

December

9: Birth of Gustaf II Adolf, best known as Gustavus Adolphus - Lion of the North - Carolus Rex - (1594 CE)
11: Death of Charles XII - Long Live the King - Carolus Rex (1718 CE)
20: The Franz-Stiegler incident occurs - No Bullets Fly - Heroes (1943 CE)
22: American Brig-Gen McAuliffe refuses requests to surrender the Bastogne pocket with the phrase, "Nuts!" - Screaming Eagles - Coat of Arms (1944 CE)

I see they have nothing from July 1.-3 ... also, I wonder whether "Aldertag" is your error or Sabaton's error? It was surely called "Adlertag"? (Well, in retrospect, it was Göring's error ...)

Yeah, it definitely was a little repetitive (aka they've played a lot of these on all of their US supporting tours), but hearing the new stuff was worth it. I wish they'd open with Night Witches, actually. Sparta was amazing, but it's a slower number. Great crowd participation, but I'm not sure how it would work as an opening track.

Yes, fair point, something faster works best for first song. There's always room for grandiose after that. It is Sabaton after all!

I actually like this new album. It's 100% rehash in terms of style but it's enjoyable. Probably their best produced album so far, finally a solid drum sound. Last Dying Breath is the best song IMO, but I probably paid most attention to it due to it mentioning Serbia :p

I do truly enjoy the new album, but the production is not my favorite. For a band that does not have a live keyboard player the keyboard mix is way too loud - louder than the guitars half the time.

Back