Sabaton

Actually didn't hate it. The orchestrations were so hilariously over the top that it was kinda fun. Hated the guitar sound though.

Ehh didn't like the verses at all, but when the rest of the band came in, I thought that was awesome. But then they got to the solo and I wanted to go listen to the Maiden version instead. I actually thought they were going to nail the song, but that was disappointing.

Also at first listen, I did not really like the album at all.

So after a few spins, I have to admit that I'm everything else than thrilled by the album. The only song I really like is Shiroyama, despite it's disco vibe... it's the one song that has all the Sabaton trademarks without sounding like a self-parody. Plus, it has the amazing last line and the balls to rhyme "culture" with "vulture".
Maybe Knickers is right and it really is the production that makes it sound like a pop album, but it sounds like a pop album nevertheless.

I would say the album is a grower. To me at least. The only song I still dislike is Bannockburn, and I find Hill 3234 sort of meh. But I really enjoy the others, even though they sound exactly like every other Sabaton song.

I'm loving the album. It's all traditional Sabaton to me and I'm glad about that. I wouldn't want them to change their sound and style. Metallica did that after their first 4 albums and while I like quite a bit of what followed, nothing will ever be as amazing as those first 4. And look at what Queensryche did. So I'm very glad Sabaton is sticking with their basic sound and style. Now with that being said, it would be nice if they ventured out of the 3-4 minute straight forward type songs and get a bit more creative like Stratovarious, but that's probably not going to happen so I'll be happy with what they give us.

Also, I'm really digging AFTSS. I really love Joakim's low singing in the first half. And I never knew he could go that high on All Guns Blazing. Damn!

I would say the album is a grower. To me at least. The only song I still dislike is Bannockburn, and I find Hill 3234 sort of meh. But I really enjoy the others, even though they sound exactly like every other Sabaton song.
I'm a little low on Sparta too, but otherwise I agree. I think I'd quite like Bannockburn if it wasn't for the really, REALLY dumb chorus.

The main chorus of Bannockburn should be the part that goes:

Rally all the clans
Englishmen advance
Blood of Bannockburn
Point of no return

I've noticed the same thing on other songs that the best part/catchiest hook isn't the main chorus. It's either the verse or a pre-chorus.

I can only assume that the numbers aren't out yet for the U.S., they would report them. You see things like "Iced Earth's newest album sold 1,542 copies in North America" and I'm sure Sabaton can pull those numbers. Heroes cracked the Top 100 in the U.S., I'm sure this did somewhere similar. We'll see in another week.

Ah, that's sort of good to know. Still nowhere near what they should be doing. Has Sabaton ever done a headline tour here and if so, was anyone there who can tell how well it did?

I think I really love Shiroyama, even though it shows that Joakim is really draining himself. The guy should take a year off to recharge his voice.

I don't quite enjoy the album yet, but it very well might grow on me over time. I feel like their previous advancements (in terms of songwriting until The Art of War, in terms of production up to Heroes) have come to a halt and they currently have nothing new to offer. It just sounds like generic Sabaton to me, so far, but is not a huge downgrade from past efforts. They may have become too comfortable with what they are instead of progressing further.
I do enjoy the guitars though - their solos sound better than they used to.

Last edited:
See, @Travis The Dragon - https://www.facebook.com/sabaton/ph....7545529867/10154481833854868/?type=3&theater

#63 on the Billboard U.S. Top 200 album chart.
#2 on the Billboard Hard Music chart.
#2 on the Canadian Hard Music Chart.
#20 on the Canadian Top 200 album chart.

The Last Stand also holds:
#5 position on the Billboard Top Rock album chart.
#4 on the Billboard Independent albums chart.
#19 on the Billboard Top Current Albums chart.

That's better than Heroes by 36 spots! I'd be interested to know the difference in actual copies sold, though, considering the shrinking physical market.

See, @Travis The Dragon - https://www.facebook.com/sabaton/ph....7545529867/10154481833854868/?type=3&theater

That's better than Heroes by 36 spots! I'd be interested to know the difference in actual copies sold, though, considering the shrinking physical market.
That's great to see for sure. I'd like to know how many copies the album sold. There must be a way to find out. Also, I'm still wondering how well they'd do on a USA headlining tour. Again, have they done one before? And if so, did anyone on here attend any shows who could tell us how well they did?

Back