Rate all the songs on SSOASS

Dick Brucinson

Dave Sustaine
Let's rate all the songs on SSOASS best to "worst" (while there is no bad song on it I think).

My ranking:

The Clairvoyant
Infinite Dreams
TETMD
The Prophecy
Moonchild
SSOASS
CIPWM
OTGDY

Moonchild 8/10
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son 8/10
The Clairvoyant 7/10
The Evil That Men Do 7/10
Infinite Dreams 7/10
Only The Good Die Young 6/10
Can I Play With Madness 4/10
The Prophecy 3/10

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son 9/10
(Technically, I should leave this one unrated. I can give the first half of the track about 7/10 at best and the iffy intermezzo with the out-of-rhythm Casio choirs should not count at all, honestly... but the closing three minutes are 12/10 and one of the best passages in Maiden discography).

Infinite Dreams 8/10
The Clairvoyant 8/10
Can I Play With Madness 7,5/10
Only The Good Die Young 7/10
The Evil That Men Do 7/10
Moonchild 6/10
The Prophecy 3/10

The Clairvoyant

The Prophecy

The Evil That Men Do

Moonchild

Only The Good Die Young

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

Infinite Dreams

Can I Play With Madness

Infinite Dreams 5/5
Evil That Men Do 5/5
Seventh Son 5/5
Moonchild 4/5
Can I Play With Madness 4/5
Clairvoyant 4/5
Only the Good Die Young 4/5
Prophecy 3/5

Infinite Dreams
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
The Evil That Men Do
The Prophecy
The Clairvoyant
Only The Good Die Young
Moonchild
Can I Play With Madness

All 8 amazing tracks!

Interesting how often CIPWM is rated the lowest of all eight tracks, and I myself also tended to rate it like that. But when thinking of it for a moment: It's a solid track and imho even superior to OTGDY. It's just overplayed, and live it doesn't work well. That's the problem with it.

Interesting how often CIPWM is rated the lowest of all eight tracks, and I myself also tended to rate it like that. But when thinking of it for a moment: It's a solid track and imho even superior to OTGDY. It's just overplayed, and live it doesn't work well. That's the problem with it.
I like all 8 songs on SSOASS but CIPWM a little less at the moment than the other 7.

Moonchild 10/10
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son 10/10
Only The Good Die Young 10/10
Infinite Dreams 10/10
The Evil That Men Do 9/10
Can I Play With Madness 8/5/10
The Prophecy 8.5/10
The Clairvoyant 7.5/10

Infinite Dreams
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
The Evil That Men Do
Moonchild
The Clairvoyant
Can I Play with Madness
Only the Good Die Young
The Prophecy

Yea, for me Madness is a 4/5 song in the album and maybe a 2.5-3/5 when played live. The other seven songs are straight 5/5 for me.

I’ve never been the biggest fan with whatever the designated “hit single” of an album is. I think Wasted Years, 2 Minutes, and Madness are all the worst songs on their respective albums.

Edit: You can also add Run to the Hills on that list. Worst song on Beast by far.

Yea, for me Madness is a 4/5 song in the album and maybe a 2.5-3/5 when played live. The other seven songs are straight 5/5 for me.

I’ve never been the biggest fan with whatever the designated “hit single” of an album is. I think Wasted Years, 2 Minutes, and Madness are all the worst songs on their respective albums.

Edit: You can also add Run to the Hills on that list. Worst song on Beast by far.
Worst hit single imho was Wildest Dreams. and easily one of the weakest Maiden songs ever. I was in Donington 2003 where the song was initially introduced to the world and played for the first time ever. I thought they were kidding. I mean - just imagine it being played in the middle of their set. Completely out of place.

Last edited:
Worst hit single imho was Wildest Dreams. and easily one of the weakest Maiden songs ever. I was in Donington 2003 where the song was initially introduced to the world and played for the first time ever. I thought they were kidding. I mean - just imagine it being played in the middle of their set. Completely out of place.
The irony being is that I think that’s a great song. Still the worst on the album but it’s got some pants-kicking riffage and battery going on. If anything, I find Rainmaker super overrated.

Edit: I just had an epiphany on why I dislike some singles and not others. The hot single type songs that Martin Birch produced never sound great to me live. But the Shirley produced singles sound great. And I think that’s due to Shirley’s “live in the studio” feel where as Birch was very much an album oriented producer. And that production on some songs just comes apart live, at least for me.

Here's how it goes in my book:
  • Absolutely amazing songs: Moonchild, Infinite Dreams, Can I Play With Madness, The Prophecy.
  • Slightly less - yet still - amazing songs: everything else.
SSOASS is one of my favorite Maiden albums and alongside Powerslave and Somewhere In Time makes a trio of start to finish awesomeness. But even when compared with those two other records it comes out as the most cohesive record they'd ever put out IMO. The way I see things the difference in quality between those 4 favorites and the other 4 tracks is really, really short. To a point I cannot point a song I like the least.

Love the damn thing. But yeah... when played live the chorus gets a bit messy . Perhaps if Harris didn't "help" on the backing vocals it would sound a bit better.

Love the damn thing. But yeah... when played live the chorus gets a bit messy . Perhaps if Harris didn't "help" on the backing vocals it would sound a bit better.
Performed live - with Steves vocal support - it always reminds me a bunch of boozed soccer fans chanting in some stadium to me.
Maybe West Ham.
Who knows.

Back