Rant Thread

Trains!:mad:
My train had a delay of 14 minutes.
Eventually it came but then had to stop for another train which had technical problems.
Another 10 minute delay. Conclusion: the train didn´t go all the way to the final station but stopped a station earlier. There I can take another train...which has a delay of 7 minutes.
Final Conclusion: I certainly can´t make the connection anymore so have to take a bus to get at my final destination.

Ah, trains. Allow me to narrate my most recent train experience, maybe it will make you feel a little bit better.
I was on a conference trip to Leiden in August. Trip to Leiden was stopped short somewhere in western Germany because the train broke down. Replacement train came about 30 minutes later but had no permit for the Netherlands so had to change the train again right before the border. Had to call the hotel because I was going to be an hour late for check-in time. Told that story to everyone in the conference because Germans love talking about how their trains are fucked up, and got a lot of "sucks to be you mate" and "I took the train before yours, no problems at all" and "coulda been worse".
Yeah, coulda.
On the trip back, Friday evening, I had to change trains several times between cities in the Netherlands. Train from Amsterdam to (I think) Nijmegen had a 16 minute delay. My overlay was 15 minutes. My connecting train was on time. Cue frantic search for a power socket in the station because my smartphone battery was at 5%, and whaddaya know, Dutch train stations apparently have no power sockets anywhere. After searching outside in the rain for a while, I found a McDonald's which had an empty chair in the kids zone next to a power socket. So I ordered a cheap menu, sat down on a low table, wiped off the residual tobacco and weed lying there and found one last connection online for the night. The catch: A four hour overlay in a border town called Venlo. I bought it, took the train and found myself in this station at 1 am. Fine, I think, there's a waiting room there and... it's locked. And I get kicked out of the station right away as it's being shut down and locked for the night. It's freezing cold and raining, and I have to sit outside at the bus stop - no cafes or anything in the immediate vicinity - together with some other stranded people, having to endure the loud ramblings of a drunk Polish guy who thinks it's time to tell everyone his life story, which is not only totally uninteresting but also devoid of any sort of wisdom or entertainment value. And every second thing he says is "you know what I mean?" No, mate, I don't. How am I supposed to know. And since my phone battery is at around 15%, I don't have the option to just put on my headphones; also, I feel I should stay aware of my surroundings, after all a train station at night isn't necessarily the best place to be. After about an hour I figure it's Friday night, and there might actually be a town somewhere around, so I make off to the most promising direction and indeed find masses of drunk teenagers, clubs and puke-filled streets. Eventually, I find a kebab store that is open and full of people, so I get a coke and indeed find a secluded table far in a corner right next to the draughty door - but with a power socket! I'm saved! I sit down and spend about two hours there reading and trying to ignore the teenagers (and if you think German sounds aggressive, try loud, drunk Dutch) until I eventually go back to the train station, hoping I catch the next connection - which I do. And I end up sitting in a comfortable train in Germany dozing off until at some point I start realising the train hasn't moved in about half an hour. And then in ten-minute intervals the train personnel kept us updated about how they don't know if and when the train will continue. I overhear loud, very German conversations about late trains and "oh, I had half an hour delay the other day too, so typical!" But then I realise my seat has a power socket and now I can put on my earphones and... oh, wait a minute. What's the time? 9:45. I had a tour (a gig, basically) in Berlin at 11:15, right? Didn't I laugh at myself when preparing for the trip when I was wondering if I could make that, because my train was scheduled to arrive at 6:30 and even by German standards such a delay would seem preposterous? And where am I? Braunschweig? Yeah, I better make a phone call. So I cancel the tour (which loses me 65 Euros) then sit down, and eventually the train starts to move and I put on music and find life oddly blissful just because it's warm in the train.

Fuck trains.

Haha, coming here from the Czech Republic, I am honestly surprised how bad the Dutch trains are. In CZ you get a delay here and there, but usually at least they arrive an take you where you need to be. Here they just get cancelled left and right without any remorse or hesitation. I am looking for work now, normally I would consider other cities outside of Amsterdam, but knowing how unreliable the NS is, I can't, because I pick up the little guy from daycare every evening.

Ah, trains. Allow me to narrate my most recent train experience, maybe it will make you feel a little bit better.
I was on a conference trip to Leiden in August. Trip to Leiden was stopped short somewhere in western Germany because the train broke down. Replacement train came about 30 minutes later but had no permit for the Netherlands so had to change the train again right before the border. Had to call the hotel because I was going to be an hour late for check-in time. Told that story to everyone in the conference because Germans love talking about how their trains are fucked up, and got a lot of "sucks to be you mate" and "I took the train before yours, no problems at all" and "coulda been worse".
Yeah, coulda.
On the trip back, Friday evening, I had to change trains several times between cities in the Netherlands. Train from Amsterdam to (I think) Nijmegen had a 16 minute delay. My overlay was 15 minutes. My connecting train was on time. Cue frantic search for a power socket in the station because my smartphone battery was at 5%, and whaddaya know, Dutch train stations apparently have no power sockets anywhere. After searching outside in the rain for a while, I found a McDonald's which had an empty chair in the kids zone next to a power socket. So I ordered a cheap menu, sat down on a low table, wiped off the residual tobacco and weed lying there and found one last connection online for the night. The catch: A four hour overlay in a border town called Venlo. I bought it, took the train and found myself in this station at 1 am. Fine, I think, there's a waiting room there and... it's locked. And I get kicked out of the station right away as it's being shut down and locked for the night. It's freezing cold and raining, and I have to sit outside at the bus stop - no cafes or anything in the immediate vicinity - together with some other stranded people, having to endure the loud ramblings of a drunk Polish guy who thinks it's time to tell everyone his life story, which is not only totally uninteresting but also devoid of any sort of wisdom or entertainment value. And every second thing he says is "you know what I mean?" No, mate, I don't. How am I supposed to know. And since my phone battery is at around 15%, I don't have the option to just put on my headphones; also, I feel I should stay aware of my surroundings, after all a train station at night isn't necessarily the best place to be. After about an hour I figure it's Friday night, and there might actually be a town somewhere around, so I make off to the most promising direction and indeed find masses of drunk teenagers, clubs and puke-filled streets. Eventually, I find a kebab store that is open and full of people, so I get a coke and indeed find a secluded table far in a corner right next to the draughty door - but with a power socket! I'm saved! I sit down and spend about two hours there reading and trying to ignore the teenagers (and if you think German sounds aggressive, try loud, drunk Dutch) until I eventually go back to the train station, hoping I catch the next connection - which I do. And I end up sitting in a comfortable train in Germany dozing off until at some point I start realising the train hasn't moved in about half an hour. And then in ten-minute intervals the train personnel kept us updated about how they don't know if and when the train will continue. I overhear loud, very German conversations about late trains and "oh, I had half an hour delay the other day too, so typical!" But then I realise my seat has a power socket and now I can put on my earphones and... oh, wait a minute. What's the time? 9:45. I had a tour (a gig, basically) in Berlin at 11:15, right? Didn't I laugh at myself when preparing for the trip when I was wondering if I could make that, because my train was scheduled to arrive at 6:30 and even by German standards such a delay would seem preposterous? And where am I? Braunschweig? Yeah, I better make a phone call. So I cancel the tour (which loses me 65 Euros) then sit down, and eventually the train starts to move and I put on music and find life oddly blissful just because it's warm in the train.

Fuck trains.
Sorry if I laughed but I also went through "alone at the train station in foreign country after midnight" so I know what you experienced.
I haven't used DB in a while, but I knew they were very reliable during 2006 World Cup (which is quite a feat considering the number of the people that used it).
But what surprised me are delays in air-traffic in Germany. My wife flew last spring, had an awful experience and all the people sharing her flight said the flight traffic completely derailed in last year or so.

DB was quite reliable until the mid 2000s, but it's been in free fall since about 2008. However, in this case it was the Dutch railway that got me to that situation.

Mosquitoes in December. Seriously, WTF. We had them for couple of years now, but it's already getting ridiculous.
Worse of all, you can't buy those repellent sprays, tablets and spirals because that's a "seasonal product".
HOW IT CAN BE SEASONAL WHEN WE HAVE FUCKING MOSQUITOES IN FUCKING DECEMBER?!?!?!?!

(I did buy a couple of those during the summer, fearing it would come to this. But seriously: mosquitoes in December, WTF)

What is the most fuckable vehicle is?
I think I read an article in the evening press once, about some person who had a rock fetish. Now, I'm not talking music here. No, a literal rock fetish, where said person would rub off against rocks and trees. We just need to find somebody with a transportation vehicle sexual fetish and then we can finally settle this once and for all.

But alas, no. I surmise the opinion of what vehicle is the most fuckable would differ in a group of said fetishists, so we would need to conduct a targeted survey to determine that.

I need to get this off my chest. I won't even spell check I don't give a fuck.

I got a driver's license in 2011 but haven't driven a lot until I got a car approximately 2 months ago. I had some additional classes recently to get accustomed to my car and to driving again. The car is my late grandpa's. My mom bought it for him in 2007. He never bought new tires, or a radio or changed anything about it at all until he died in 2020. In the past 2 weeks I managed to make damage to it twice which is more than he did in 13 fucking years. In 13 years he drove 33k kilometeres, which is about 20500 for you Muricans.

Once some moron parked in a shitty way next to me and I scratched both his and my car. Today, I took a friend who doesn't have a license to some car training park so that she can practice for her driver's exam in 2 days and she managed to make another dent in the car. She didn't listen to me for fuck's sake. I can't explain in words what she did but it was boneheaded af but since she's sensitive and a girl I didn't go berserk on her but I should've. She hit a plastic ramp and I have a hole in the front of my car. It's probably not a big deal but it's still a bummer.

Whenever I drove alone, there were no issues. I drove with a friend last week and she wanted me to drive up to the curb but changed her mind and that fucking thing on the wheel which is just for looks dunno what the fuck is called fell off. We picked it up and drove on, doesn't matter. Went with another friend and I hit a car in the parking which I said above you get it. Now this girl today doesn't know how to fucking use Google Maps like it's fucking nuclear physics and she's looking at the dark road instead of Google fucking Maps. We did find that fucking car training park but I wish we didn't.

I'm just gonna fucking drive alone for now, and pick my own fucking path for fuck's sake. Also I came home sober and started drinking to calm my nerves, I don't have a sip of alcohol before driving.

Started a new job, awaiting the laptop and phone to be sent over from Sweden. Was supposed to arrive on Tuesday, but there was a delay of some sort. Yesterday all day waiting. At least 4 or 5 times I was mentioning to my wife that I am waiting for the computer, yesterday I had a call with a new colleague, where I mentioned the same, my wife was there too and heard the call. Today I mention again that if I get the delivery from Sweden, I will bike home and she is liek OOHH SO THAT WAS FOR YOU. They put my manager's name as the recepient so she fucking sent it back. So many times I talk about it and she can't even once mention that there was a package to our address with a wrong name?! WTF. Now to chase where is the FedEx warehouse somewhere in the middle of nowhere to get my package so I can finally start doing something, my god, this woman.

My job has become hell.

I can't quit because I have no savings and no one to help me out if I'm without a salary.

I can't get a higher salary as I have an imbecile as boss.

I'm trying to find a new job but have been unsuccessful after 9 months of trying.

I'm overqualified for positions lower than my current one and underqualified for higher or equal positions.

I'd take a lower position as it'd most likely be better paid than my current position, but no one wants to interview me for those positions.

I interviewed a couple of times but they (allegedly) went with candidates with the same background as those companies, which I just can't match.

I can't change industries as for every other job I'm either not qualified for or the job is paid so much less it'd ruin my quality of life.

I don't know what to do.

Back