Rank the Steve Solo efforts on Senjutsu

naranja

Educated Fool
1. The Parchment
2. Hell on Earth
3. Death of the Celts
4. Lost in a lost world

The first two could change places and are two of the best things Mr Harris has written in years.

The third is decent.

The fourth... Eh

1. Hell on Earth
2. The Parchment
3. Lost in a Lost World

4. Death of the Celts

As for masterpieces, I consider only Hell to be in that rank, I was genuinely taken aback when I first heard it and it still fascinates me.

As for the last one, like I wrote elsewhere

I agree and it's not about kilts - I love 'Arry's writing, I love his epics even more and I usually like anything remotely Celtic, but DOTC is the most boring song Maiden have written since about 2003.

The somewhat-Celtic part in Writing on the Wall after the 4th minute and the "Over the Hills and Far Away" part in The Red and the Black beginning at 9:40 are both better and I'm not kidding nor exaggerating.

1. Hell on Earth -
My favorite song from Senjutsu that isn’t TWOTW. I still remember everything about the first time I listened to it; how the lyrics made me feel, the kick in the guts from that drum-fill-into-gallop. I sometimes wish we got that amazing chorus again, but maybe it’s so impactful because we only get it once.
2. Death of the Celts -
While it does feel like Clansman 2, I do like the dynamic shifts throughout the song. The way Bruce sings the last lyric really impacted me for some reason. It gets occasional listens from me.
3. The Parchment -
I know The Parchment is really popular here, but it doesn’t do that much for me. It’s just a little too… same-y, repetitive, and slow. I still listen to it from time to time, but less than the others.
4. Lost in a Lost World -
I honestly thought this would be of my favorites from Senjutsu. I really liked the lyrics and story my first listen. It just doesn’t have staying power or memorable melodies like the others. I don’t really ever listen to it now.

1. Hell on Earth -
My favorite song from Senjutsu that isn’t TWOTW. I still remember everything about the first time I listened to it; how the lyrics made me feel, the kick in the guts from that drum-fill-into-gallop. I sometimes wish we got that amazing chorus again, but maybe it’s so impactful because we only get it once.
2. Death of the Celts -
While it does feel like Clansman 2, I do like the dynamic shifts throughout the song. The way Bruce sings the last lyric really impacted me for some reason. It gets occasional listens from me.
3. The Parchment -
I know The Parchment is really popular here, but it doesn’t do that much for me. It’s just a little too… same-y, repetitive, and slow. I still listen to it from time to time, but less than the others.
4. Lost in a Lost World -
I honestly thought this would be of my favorites from Senjutsu. I really liked the lyrics and story my first listen. It just doesn’t have staying power or memorable melodies like the others. I don’t really ever listen to it now.

Exactly my ranking and for very similar reasons!

While I do rank The Parchment (I love it!) above Death of the Celts, I also agree with most of @Iron Brody's comments! As far as the mere ranking goes, I'm kind of torn about Lost in a Lost World vs Death of the Celts, as I think Celts is a much more coherent and solid song itself, but I have a big soft spot for the melancholic moments of Lost in a Lost World whenever I listen to it, where as Celts still doesn't quite do that much for me. It's enjoyable song that I like whenever it comes up, in concert or just listening to the record, but it doesn't really have anything I'm particularly looking forward to revisit. :) That being said, the live performance of the song has some much needed edge, especially when it comes to Bruce's delivery; most of Steve's lyrics with similar kind of narrative really work so much better when Bruce does his tricks live.

You're probably the only person who ''doesn't like'' Hell On Earth (that much). Why?

You forgot you know why

Hell On Earth > The Parchment = Lost In A Lost Word >>>>> Death of the Celts

By the way, I think the Senjutsu picks for the album tour are the worst ever. It's the only time that: i) two songs from my top 4 for that specific album are not picked (Parchment and LIALW); ii) my two least favorite songs are played (Senjutsu and DOTC)*. TFF, on the other hand, goes the other way around with the perfect pick.

* Maybe Hooks in You and The Assassin come close to this one.

Celts I can't remember. Adrian has two solos? Is it Adrian, Dave, Janick, Adrian?
Adrian has the first solo after the vocals, and then when the three amigos actually do the solos it’s Janick, Dave, Adrian. Janick kind of has a two part solo and it kind of tricks you because he and Dave sound uncharacteristically sharper in the mix.

1. Hell On Earth
2. The Parchment
3. Death of the Celts
4. Lost In A Lost World

Hate to say it, but I generally skip the latter two tracks when I listen to the album. Although Celts has grown on me slightly since seeing it live, so maybe that will change.

Hell On Earth > The Parchment = Lost In A Lost Word >>>>> Death of the Celts

By the way, I think the Senjutsu picks for the album tour are the worst ever. It's the only time that: i) two songs from my top 4 for that specific album are not picked (Parchment and LIALW); ii) my two least favorite songs are played (Senjutsu and DOTC)*. TFF, on the other hand, goes the other way around with the perfect pick.

* Maybe Hooks in You and The Assassin come close to this one.
On that note, god the Senjutsu title track is a boring song and their most boring show opener possibly ever

Adrian has the first solo after the vocals, and then when the three amigos actually do the solos it’s Janick, Dave, Adrian. Janick kind of has a two part solo and it kind of tricks you because he and Dave sound uncharacteristically sharper in the mix.
That short little solo that begins when Bruce sings Lord of Light in the darkness, our guide is Janick, right? And Dave has a long solo before Janick has another very short, but very nice solo/lead part.

Back