1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive rock / metal

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Forostar, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Yey, left overs from The Astonishing! :innocent:

2. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide A Bug

Those ended all on the final CD, unfortunately...

3. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Self-propelled artillery Staff Member

Threads like this remind me of why I love Maidenfans.

4. Forostar

Obtained today:

Van der Graaf Generator - The Aerosol Grey Machine (1969)
    [​IMG]

Peter Hamill - Nadir's Big Chance (1975)
    [​IMG]
    Hamill's fifth solo album. Have never heard a Hamill solo album before, so I'm curious!

Bruce Dickinson made me enthousiastic about VDGG and Hamill. Indeed darker than the average prog/seventies band. Also bought last week: de second and third VDGG albums: The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other & H to He, Who Am the Only One (both from 1970)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Camel - Camel (1973)
    [​IMG]

Jethro Tull - Live in Los Angeles 1980
    [​IMG]

This is from the same concert the Slipstream video took its audio from. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipstream_(video)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  5. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide A Bug

All of the albums mentioned in the post above get a hearty recommendation from Judas. Foro, you're a gentleman and a scholar. And I'm drubl. But still...

Forostar likes this.
  6. Forostar

Wow. VDGG were so ahead of time with this album, recorded in December 1969. A special atmosphere. It's dark, intense and at times very heavy! And that without electric guitar. Especially album opener Darkness (11/11), album closer After the Flood and the second half of White Hammer... man. Brilliant. I also hear how Ian Anderson may have been influenced somewhat because I hear a Tullish acoustic riff that sounds quite like the one from After the Flood. The sax playing contributes a lot. I also read that Robert Fripp was very impressed by this record. In my humble opinion, this album wipes the floor with everything King Crimson ever did. Of course, this has a lot to do with personal taste. This music fits more to mine than King Crimson does. This is experimental music, delving in certain areas other (tamer!) prog bands didn't do much. Still there's a lot of nuance. Drummer Guy Evans is great. Looks like I'm going to have a fine ride discovering more albums by these masters.

Rush liked/likes them too!

UGO: In the 1970s, there were lots of amazing progressive rock bands that played very technically complex music. Was that what you were born from?

GEDDY: actually, we were influenced by all the great trios - Cream, Jimi Hendrix, the Who, in a sense were a trio, and even Zeppelin. Those were the first big rock bands that we wanted to emulate. And as our tastes got more obscure, we discovered more progressive rock based, bands like Yes, Van Der Graaf Generator and King Crimson, and we were very inspired by those bands. They made us want to make our music more interesting and more complex and we tried to blend that with our own personalities to see what we could come up with that was indisputably us. That took a while, but I think 2112 was the first record where we accomplished that and created a sound for ourselves.

---
    Some Bruce VDGG references:

Excerpts from:

A chat with Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden
    Globe Hotel, Stockholm
    31 OCT 1998

[​IMG]

H= Henrik Johansson
    B= Bruce Dickinson
    M= Mattias Reinholdsson

M= Well, we thought, now you've had Arthur Brown on the record, the next thing would be, what, to co-write some lyrics with Peter Hammill?

B= Oh, no, no, no, you mustn't get into, no! I was talking about this with the manager of Entombed, Dave Thorne, who's a huge Van der Graaf Generator fan and we were talking about how amazing some Van der Graaf Generator songs would sound if a metal band did them. It'd sound really f***ing heavy... I mean, can you imagine "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" done by a real prog metal band, it'd be amazing.

M= Or "Scorched Earth"...

B= Yeah, it's f***ing great. I might get there before them... [laughter] Peter Hammill was one of my childhood lyrical hero's but, you know, you say "Peter Hammill" to most people and they go; "Huh?"... And it's such a shame cause they had so much more to them, I think, than Genesis. They were a bunch of pansies compared to Van der Graaf, really...

H= Alright... Total change of subject. News from Japan: Something about a Samson reunion?

Complete Interview was here:

DIFFERENT INTERVIEW FROM
    28 APRIL 1996 STOCKHOLM

A lot of these technical bands like Nektar, Genesis, Yes and some of the more obscure Jethro Tull albums which were very technical. And to me all that stuff was just fiddling around. There's very little of that music that I find moving.

H: But I read somewhere that you were a fan of Van Der Graaf Generator…

B: Oh, yea, I love Van der Graaf cause they were a band that were on the edge, and although they had quite complex arrangements, they made some great sounds. An they were an incredibly depressing band, music to commit suicide to and that's why I loved it, because it was so out there.

You put Van Der Graaf on and you could clear an entire room of people and I loved it. I love music like that. It's the same thing with other bands like Magma these weird jazz rock bands. Arthur Brown too. There's moments of real genius in full clusters in various bits of their music, and I'm into those. I'm not into this "Vulgar display of power", to quote a famous band. The first time you see it, it may be cool, but the second time, it's just boring.

H: Yes. Well, I got this idea of thinking of Van Der Graaf when I read this line in "Solar confinement" saying: "Chaotic energy that sucks the life from H to He".

B: Yes, well spotted. There you go.
    H: So you got the idea from there?
    B: Yes, "From H to He who am the only one". It's the fundamental life force of the universe, it's what powers the stars.

H: And Peter Hammill lyrics, is that something that's influenced you?

B: Oh, yeah, when I was a kid I used to go through his lyrics with a microscope. Lyric wise I was really into Peter Hammill, Ian Anderson and Gillan. Gillan's lyrics I thought were pretty cool and they were very rock 'n' roll. Especially the early stuff from "Deep Purple in rock". I was never particularly into Robert Plants lyrics. They just never really got to me. I like them more now than I did then. In general I sort of appreciate Zeppelin a bit more now than I did when I was a kid. And Peter Hammill had some really good poetical lyrics which are very cool. I'd like to write more of them in the future.

H: So you write all the lyrics for Skunkworks?
    B: Yes
    M: And in Samson, did you write the lyrics too?
    B: Yea

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  7. Deus_Adrian

Deus_Adrian Prince of the Final Frontier

VDGG is great. I love Hammills solo works as well but much of it lacks rhe color,variety and passion rhat Van def Graff has. Nadir is kind of an anomoly in his catalog. The only one that comes close is Vital but is really not indicative of their sound. Its a different lineup with only Guy Evans on drums remaining Oh and btw Guy Evans is a great drummer. The VDGG sound is tied into his style of drumming. Jazzy with subtle shifts into heavier sounds and he brings them back down to earth after the sonic maelstrom. I love H to He but Godbluff contains maybe two of my favorite songs ever made; Scorched Earth and Sleepwalkers.

After Nadir check out the Future Now/ph7.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    Forostar likes this.
  8. Forostar

9. TheProdigalSon

TheProdigalSon Trooper

Some songs from the underrated Crack the Sky

jazz from hell likes this.
  10. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

Tracklist and lineup for the new Ayreon album:

[​IMG]

11. Shadow

Shadow Deluxe Edition Staff Member

"Everybody Dies" should definitely be the single.

12. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

Thanks, not bad! Mastodon's Crack the Skye is one of my favorite albums, but I didn't know that Band...

TheProdigalSon likes this.
  13. Forostar

Man, am I getting into this band. Brilliant stuff. While e.g. Yes is a band that sounds to me as separate people stapling individual contributions on top of each other, Van der Graaff produces a powerful collective sound. It feels as it has raw strength and impressive depth. In no way do I intend to diss Yes (or other bands), but seriously: Van der Graaf Generator feels as being a very original and unique band, touching colours and emotions other bands don't reach that well. (At the moment (at least)), their material is more spellbinding than anything else. I discovered these guys late, but at least there's a lot left! My favourite song from Godbluff is probably Arrow, but Sleepwalker's beginning and end theme is one of their better pieces as well.

As a whole album, H to He and The Least We Can Do feel as my favourites, but this could still change of course. I haven't heard Still Life and later material yet.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    Deus_Adrian likes this.
  14. Night Prowler

@MrKnickerbocker: This might interest you since there's at least 4 vocalists on this song that I know you really like :D

MrKnickerbocker and Lampwick 43 like this.
  15. Forostar

Awesome vid! Love the way Arjen describes what he likes and what his influences are. Also Maiden!! Nice to see him and Ed play guitar/bass/keys and drums.

Night Prowler likes this.
  16. Lampwick 43

Lampwick 43 Waiting in line at the ending of time

That was pretty awesome. I have a buddy that absolutely loves Ayreon. I really need to start checking them out, myself.

17. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

Holy shit that's amazing! Those constant facts are both awesome and incredibly lame - "For this I tuned the E string down to D" and "It wouldn't be prog without at least one reprise! ;)" and "Anything can be expected in prog music!"....whoa, boy.

Anyway, the song is really cool. I'll have to listen again without the video to make a final decision, but I'm looking forward to this album. Notes on the singers:

- LaBrie sounds like LaBrie!
    - Tommy Karevik is pushing every aspect of his voice and it sounds amazing, but holy hell...just like that guitar solo I'm sure Tommy is glad he doesn't have to reproduce this live, cause it'd never happen.
    - Russell is really sounding rougher and rougher with every album. Still sounds amazing, but the grit is creeping in to every note now.
    - Who is Michael Erikson? Very nice voice.
    - Floor rules.

Clutch did a better job with 10001110101. :D

Night Prowler likes this.
  18. Night Prowler

Glad you liked it :D Arjen is really good at getting the best out of singers. Even got Ralf Scheepers to not try to sound like Halford for one song :D

How come you haven't heard of Michael Eriksen? He's the singer of Circus Maximus, but more importantly for you: he sang for Kamelot for one show after Khan left but before Fabio Lione was hired.

Only recording of him with Kamelot (ProgPower doesn't allow amateur recording <_<):

MrKnickerbocker likes this.
  19. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

Ah, that makes sense! I've heard a couple CM albums but never knew his name. He's a got a very good, different voice from that rest of the pack.

20. Deus_Adrian

Deus_Adrian Prince of the Final Frontier

Still Life is basically Godbluff pt 2, World Record is even more mellow...VDGG mellow that is. Ha. Then it became something else. The more recent reunion albums are uniformly excellent.

Forostar likes this.