Progressive rock / metal

Just discovered on Spotify:

Anyone familiar with Pain of Salvation? I've never heard of them, but I'm digging this song, at least. I guess I'll have to check them out.

They're one of those groups who I want to like and I respect what they're doing but I just can't get into it. Been awhile since I listened to them though so maybe I should give this new one a try. Are they playing metal again? I remember they went the way of opeth for awhile doing 70s style blues rock stuff.

I will say that Gildenlow is one of the best vocalists in prog. Very talented and versatile guy.

I just listened to the new album and its not bad. Pretty good mix of heavy and mellow stuff.

I will say that Gildenlow is one of the best vocalists in prog. Very talented and versatile guy.
Yeah, the singer is the biggest thing that drew me to them in the first place.

Do you have any recommendations on what album I should listen to next?

Anyone listen to Camel? I've just finished listening to their discography up to Stationary Traveler. Very underrated prog rock band, highly recommended especially if you like instrumental prog. They have some vocals but it wasn't long before they realized that instrumental music was their strong suit. Their first four albums, Camel, Mirage, Snow Goose, Moonmadness, should be essential listening for any prog fans. Breathless and Rain Dances are also good.

Unlike many other prog bands, they didn't lose their charm in the 80s. They began to sound slightly more commercial and they definitely adapted to the more contemporary production styles. The only album that I felt they lost their way on was The Single Factor.

Mirage is the only Camel album I've heard in its entirety, I have some favorite tracks from the other albums but never got around to listening to the entire thing. Probably gonna do it pretty soon, actually.

Long time Camel fan here. I was hooked from the moment I heard the debut. Not only my favourite band off the whole Canterbury scene, but also possibly one of my favourite prog bands in general - perhaps lacking some of the heights of others, but being much more consistent (for every Red/Close to the Edge they don't have there are always Islands/Topographic Oceans or Thrakattak/Union they also don't have, that is).

Andy is one of the most underrated/unjustly forgotten guitarists of the 70s. A cute new spin on that Steve Hackett/Steve Rothery approach, IMHO.

Also, after I'd first heard this new direction Mikael has taken with Opeth, Camel were the absolutely first band that came to mind.

Last edited:
- Tommy Karevik is pushing every aspect of his voice and it sounds amazing, but holy hell...just like that guitar solo I'm sure Tommy is glad he doesn't have to reproduce this live, cause it'd never happen.
So I've been listening to this song a lot lately and I really liked Karevik on it, so I asked myself why I didn't like him in Kamelot; so I went back to some newer Kamelot songs with him on vocals and he sounds totally different there. I think he's instructed to emulate Khan as much as possible <_<

New one, with JLB and Floor:

This one's a bit sleepy and droll, kind of an odd choice for a video competition. I expect it will be a segue moment on the album.

RIP Allan Holdsworth. One of the guitar greats, mostly known in the instrumental rock/fusion world, but was also in UK. His solo in this tune is one of my favorites:

Also love his tone on the IOU album.

What? R.I.P.
  • Allan Holdsworth – guitar
  • Alan Pasqua – keyboards
  • Tony Newton – bass
  • Tony Williams – drums

Some interesting info from his wiki page:

Allan Holdsworth was he influenced greatly by such saxophonists as John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley, Michael Brecker and Charlie Parker, while some of his favourite guitarists were Django Reinhardt, Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery, Jimmy Raney, Charlie Christian and Hank Marvin.

Holdsworth has become a highly influential guitarist among advanced guitarists and is considered to be one of the most technically accomplished and most unusual players in history; according to Guitar World magazine he is "as influential as Chuck Berry, Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen". Eddie Van Halen, Frank Zappa, Shawn Lane, Neal Schon and Gary Moore have proclaimed Holdsworth to be one of the most advanced guitarists of his time.

Last edited:
Not surprised to see a bunch of Sax players among his influences. His legato was so smooth, as if he was blowing into a horn.

Back