1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive rock / metal

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Forostar, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Good singing and bass playing and a feel for melody/catchiness? It's John Wetton.

RIP!

Time to go Mr. Wetton, but you'll be remembered with a legacy of some fine music.

(Damn, great version!)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  2. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

Got to love the crowd dancing at 0:52! :lol:
    Bit cheeky, is it not? :D

3. Forostar

Yes! At 0:51 it starts. These guys have the time of their lives!
    :innocent:

EDIT:
    Audio more in sync with video: Go(!) to 41st minute:

4. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

Did you just correct me by one second?! :facepalm:

I should never have omitted the tilde...
    ... what was I thinking?

5. Forostar

You need to see every second of that dancing.

6. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

The guy's at a concert and he's started dancing... and he's still wearing a jumper. Cool or what?!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  7. Forostar

And this is with the band U.K., late seventies!

• Allan Holdsworth – guitar
    • Eddie Jobson – keyboards, electric violin, electronics
    • John Wetton – bass, lead and backing vocals
    • Bill Bruford – drums, percussion

8. Forostar

9. Lampwick 43

Lampwick 43 Waiting in line at the ending of time

Just discovered on Spotify:

Anyone familiar with Pain of Salvation? I've never heard of them, but I'm digging this song, at least. I guess I'll have to check them out.

10. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

They're one of those groups who I want to like and I respect what they're doing but I just can't get into it. Been awhile since I listened to them though so maybe I should give this new one a try. Are they playing metal again? I remember they went the way of opeth for awhile doing 70s style blues rock stuff.

I will say that Gildenlow is one of the best vocalists in prog. Very talented and versatile guy.

11. Lampwick 43

Lampwick 43 Waiting in line at the ending of time

I just listened to the new album and its not bad. Pretty good mix of heavy and mellow stuff.

Yeah, the singer is the biggest thing that drew me to them in the first place.

Do you have any recommendations on what album I should listen to next?

12. Mosh

Remedy Lane or The Perfect Element. Their most well known albums and very heavy.

Lampwick 43 likes this.
  13. Mosh

Anyone listen to Camel? I've just finished listening to their discography up to Stationary Traveler. Very underrated prog rock band, highly recommended especially if you like instrumental prog. They have some vocals but it wasn't long before they realized that instrumental music was their strong suit. Their first four albums, Camel, Mirage, Snow Goose, Moonmadness, should be essential listening for any prog fans. Breathless and Rain Dances are also good.

Unlike many other prog bands, they didn't lose their charm in the 80s. They began to sound slightly more commercial and they definitely adapted to the more contemporary production styles. The only album that I felt they lost their way on was The Single Factor.

JudasMyGuide likes this.
  14. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

Mirage is the only Camel album I've heard in its entirety, I have some favorite tracks from the other albums but never got around to listening to the entire thing. Probably gonna do it pretty soon, actually.

15. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide A Bug

Long time Camel fan here. I was hooked from the moment I heard the debut. Not only my favourite band off the whole Canterbury scene, but also possibly one of my favourite prog bands in general - perhaps lacking some of the heights of others, but being much more consistent (for every Red/Close to the Edge they don't have there are always Islands/Topographic Oceans or Thrakattak/Union they also don't have, that is).

Andy is one of the most underrated/unjustly forgotten guitarists of the 70s. A cute new spin on that Steve Hackett/Steve Rothery approach, IMHO.

Also, after I'd first heard this new direction Mikael has taken with Opeth, Camel were the absolutely first band that came to mind.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  16. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

:applause:

17. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

I was just going to post this. Holy shit, what a song. Serious Queen and Muse vibes. A couple great lines from Russell and Floor...

I'm stoked for this album.

Night Prowler likes this.
  18. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

So I've been listening to this song a lot lately and I really liked Karevik on it, so I asked myself why I didn't like him in Kamelot; so I went back to some newer Kamelot songs with him on vocals and he sounds totally different there. I think he's instructed to emulate Khan as much as possible <_<

19. MrKnickerbocker

New one, with JLB and Floor:

This one's a bit sleepy and droll, kind of an odd choice for a video competition. I expect it will be a segue moment on the album.

20. MrKnickerbocker