Play Alexander the Great Live

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just testing... The choices would probably be RTTH, Wrathchild and 2M2M zzz . As much as love maiden. I've seen them live every tour since 1993 and that first gig on the real live tour was probably the most adventurous they have ever been in dipping into old gems. I would probably welcome hooks in you instead of the usual staples. Plus whilst I get some fans want to hear the "classics" there are so many potential classics still in their bottom draw.

There's a lot of Maiden songs I'd rather hear live. Isle of Avalon, for example. Childhood's End. To Tame a Land (again, but I could not see it live). The Legacy (again). The Thin Line. My title song Judas Be My Guide.

ATG is overrated in that regard. I agree it's a rather cool epic, but creating online petitions is taking it too far. Doesn't hold the candle to Powerslave, Rime or SSOASS and that's only the 80's.

I'd love to hear AtG live. I think it's easily in the same league as the other 80s classic epics. But I know it won't happen.

I'm just grateful that I got to hear Rime and Seventh Son live this century. I can die at peace because of that.

I hope they break out Rime for one more tour. They should. It's their best song and is a monster live.

Last edited:
PFD was great, as long as you knew the song. Too many fair weathers thinking the song was over at the time changes.... seeing rhime again back on the sbit was a joy.....I could not believe.......

Its not unreasonable for fans that have invested so much time, devotion and hard earned cash in the band which ultimately has in the end made them what they are today. So why not give fans a vote on 2-3 set list choices. Make it a live vote when they play festivals. Metallica did it the other year. Only problem the choices probably won't be Alexander, Infinite dreams or hooks in you
When Metallica did it they played all the obvious fan favourites at almost every show. If Maiden did it they'd need an extra long set because we'd vote for 'Phantom of the Opera', 'Hallowed by thy Name', 'Powerslave', 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner', 'Alexander the Great', 'The Clansman', 'Dance of Death', 'Paschendale' and 'Empire of the Clouds'.

In my honest opinion, I do think that a lot of the charm of ATG comes from the fact that it's never been played before

Yeah, I think the fascination centers on that it holds the dubious distinction as the only 80s epic that hasn't been played live (whereas the other albums epics like Rime, TTAL, and SSOASS felt like they were set up as the setlist showstoppers on their corresponding tours) - there's a certain mystique that has built up for ATG over the years because of that. I think some folks just want to see it get its proper due.

I'm a huge fan of ATG. I think ANY material from Somwhere In Time besides WY would be welcomed with open arms. Certainly a Somewhere In Time TOUR, playing the whole album even, would be great. Very much doubtful though, as most band members seem to dislike this period, particularly Bruce because he didn't write any of it. And Steve who thinks the songs slow the set down?

The only members I know like it are Nicko & Adrian.

Another problem is they have reused the cyborg Eddie and borrowed the album title on the history tour in 08, so makes it even less likely, sadly.

SIT was the era when I got into the band (and I remember them being rather big as they were on rotation at MTV and mainstream radio at the time with WY and SIASL) so it was always a disappointment to me that the band has become indifferent towards it.

I think Steve was probably just still smitten/feeling safe with Rime and didn't want to pull it just yet from the setlist (thereby sending ATG to never-been-played obscurity).

Haven't seen that one! He actually sounds pretty good on it. I think Bruce would sound better now than he did in the 80s on any SIT song.

Somewhere in Time tour 2018, gonna be hard getting back in those spandex pants!

even harder to find good condition GK250 MLs... you cannot get that SIT sound with anything else. People have tried, some come close but no true replication of it. Unless Gallien Krueger agree to make new ones that have identical components. Same went for SSOASS... the SSOASS tracks sounded horrid live on SBIT and not much better in 2012. the song SSOASS sounded fine though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back