Play Alexander the Great Live

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, there is a 0% chance this petition will do anything. Secondly, as much as I would love to see Alexander live, Iron Maiden have, and always will, play what they want. The fans have no right to be making demands.

When Nicko was on Eddie Trunk's show a few weeks ago, they were talking about Empire Of the Clouds and the possibility of having some sort of one off orchestra show. Not that anything was planned or anything like that, but that is the vision that Nicko could see that played. Anyway, he also mentioned Alexander The Great would also be great in such a setting. Can only hope!
Link:

Something that would be cool is if, on the band's final show (hopefully far away in the future :p ), they go, "And to wrap up this concert, we've got a special song we've never played before... ladies and gentlemen... Alexander The Great!" or some such, IDK, that'd be cool, but yeah, hopefully that's not but for a long time to come.

Has the band ever introduced an old song into the setlist that wasn't previously played on the corresponding album tour?

Other than what Diesel and TAC mention above (special one-off show), I can't see it happening. The set list real estate is too limited these days with 16 studio albums in the back catalog. Though the small sliver of hope seems to be these intermittent comments made by Nicko. I'd love to be proven wrong and see it live though.

Oh, and that Nicko appearance on Eddie Trunk is a MUST listen. He touches on so many things including setlist construction. He's on for the entire show. Near the end of the show, he has a phenomenally hilarious story regarding Roger Daltrey.

Honestly, I just want the band to play what they want to play. Not like they owe me anything at this point. I think what they play on tour is really important to keeping the various band members happy (especially Adrian) and I'd rather not see Alexander the Great ever and keep Adrian in the band.

I think they do save a portion of their set list for the fans....it's just that the majority of fans want to hear the most recognizable older tunes (while we're here arguing things like the exact date of Clive's decline and comparing numerical scores of every single song/album etc...most people at the gigs are only generally aware that Maiden had albums past 1986...)

Alexander the Great gets better every tour it doesn't get played. Just like a footballer who is injured for a long time. The longer absence, the better people think it is.

It's weakest epic from the 80's, and they've got a bunch of songs from the most recent albums I'd rather hear them play.

First of all, there is a 0% chance this petition will do anything. Secondly, as much as I would love to see Alexander live, Iron Maiden have, and always will, play what they want. The fans have no right to be making demands.

Well unreasonable demands I fully agree. But its the many fans that enable them to do what they do so I think there should be some fan power over the simple matter of playing a much loved song before they stop?

I don't make the petition but I signed it as I'd love to hear a live version of Alex the great

Look, I happen to really, really like the song, despite its lyrical silliness and it being on an album about which I'm not particularly excited. I'd love to see it live. I just have come to the conclusion that 1) It's not going to happen and 2) Go see the Iron Maidens play it live, it's spectacular.

In my honest opinion, I do think that a lot of the charm of ATG comes from the fact that it's never been played before, but it nonetheless would be cool to see it live. Though are some others as well that would be neat... did they ever do The Apparition? That's one I'd like to see over Alexander honestly. But maybe they did it and I'm just forgetting, I dunno.
lyrical silliness
I still say the lyrics are perfect for the song, but oh well.

It's weakest epic from the 80's
Forgot To Tame A Land, did you?

Its not unreasonable for fans that have invested so much time, devotion and hard earned cash in the band which ultimately has in the end made them what they are today. So why not give fans a vote on 2-3 set list choices. Make it a live vote when they play festivals. Metallica did it the other year. Only problem the choices probably won't be Alexander, Infinite dreams or hooks in you

Personally, I think that it would work well live. I think it's a favorite with the fans and it would get a great reception. I would really like to hear it, but I won't be too disappointed if they never play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back