Paul Cairns (Mad Mac) played on The Soundhouse Tapes

Rod even set another rule which is. You don't get credits unless you stay more than a year in the band. Reason why Bruce, Adrian and Janick didn't get credits on their first albums even they did contribute to material in the albums.

So it's well-known that Bruce has claimed "moral credit" on songs like The Prisoner, Children of the Damned and Run to the Hills, and Janick obviously had a hand in writing Bring Your Daughter... I'm curious as to which songs did Adrian contribute to without being credited?

What songs did Janick contribute to No Prayer? I don’t remember reading anything about him contributing to Bring Your Daughter either. I’ve always had an impression of that album as being Maiden’s most one-guitar album, Janick’s not doing much on it. Holy Smoke is the only one that obviously sticks out as being possibly Janick.

Also I thought the album was largely written before Janick was on board with Adrian having left during the sessions?

So it's well-known that Bruce has claimed "moral credit" on songs like The Prisoner, Children of the Damned and Run to the Hills, and Janick obviously had a hand in writing Bring Your Daughter... I'm curious as to which songs did Adrian contribute to without being credited?
First song that comes into my mind is Twilight Zone. Adrian incorporated to the song, riffs he had taken from a song he played in Evil Ways. He also contributed to musical passages on Prodigal Son and Murders In The Rue Morgue. Of course, we can delve in what deserves to be credited on songs, but the fact is that Adrian did put intput into some songs in Killers

What songs did Janick contribute to No Prayer? I don’t remember reading anything about him contributing to Bring Your Daughter either. I’ve always had an impression of that album as being Maiden’s most one-guitar album, Janick’s not doing much on it. Holy Smoke is the only one that obviously sticks out as being possibly Janick.

Also I thought the album was largely written before Janick was on board with Adrian having left during the sessions?
Janick and Bruce wrote all the songs (with the exception of 'No Lies' and obviously 'All The Young Dudes') in Tattooed Millionaire including 'Bring Your Daughter...' Bruce basically went to Janick's house with the idea of the song and Janick came up with the music, same as with the other songs in the record.

It is a fact that most of the material that went into No Prayer For The Dying was already written when Janick got into the band, but, as with Adrian, Janick influenced the songs with his playing, was this worth giving him credits for it? Is debatable, but as I said, he definitely deserved a credit for 'Bring Your Daugther...'

The whole Wilcock thing ended quite badly for Wilcock and his lawyer (of course, people would claim that they got money) but both of their careers basically ended. Wilcock had many plans but because how things were handled everyone separated from him... It could have been interesting but now we will never know
Yeah, the whole thing was a bloody mess, a disgrace, and a disaster.
I mean, I'm pretty sure the lyrics in question are his (just look at the V1 ones and you can see a pattern), but Bazza's approach to the whole thing... :facepalm:
Such a shame, it could all have been solved much easier.

Yeah, the whole thing was a bloody mess, a disgrace, and a disaster.
I mean, I'm pretty sure the lyrics in question are his (just look at the V1 ones and you can see a pattern), but Bazza's approach to the whole thing... :facepalm:
Such a shame, it could all have been solved much easier.
Completely agree... It was a full sh*t show unfortunately.

I was once contacted by Wilcock's lawyer and I know he contacted other fans... As I am a lawyer myself I told him to think about his client but he was so big headead that he thought he was the second coming of God or something and well... Dennis didn't know any better and he basically got his ego inflated by quite a lot of people and well... We know how things ended. Wilcock isn't really the bad/stupid person most people think, he was (is) a talented person with great vision and drive.. Not the best singer definitely but neither is Bob Dylan and look where he is in music history.... But well, the truth is that Wilcock did help Maiden become what the became but unless a miracle happens he will never be recognised for what he did

I was once contacted by Wilcock's lawyer and I know he contacted other fans... As I am a lawyer myself I told him to think about his client but he was so big headead that he thought he was the second coming of God or something and well... Dennis didn't know any better and he basically got his ego inflated by quite a lot of people and well... We know how things ended. Wilcock isn't really the bad/stupid person most people think, he was (is) a talented person with great vision and drive.. Not the best singer definitely but neither is Bob Dylan and look where he is in music history.... But well, the truth is that Wilcock did help Maiden become what the became but unless a miracle happens he will never be recognised for what he did
I swear Dennis was trying to sabotage them. Kicking out a bunch of people and then leaving the mess you made is crazy.

Totally agree.
Screw the lyrics - his organisational skills, experience and contacts within the 70s London scene made an impact for sure.
And then what happened happened.

Is really a pleasure mate.

Rod even set another rule which is. You don't get credits unless you stay more than a year in the band. Reason why Bruce, Adrian and Janick didn't get credits on their first albums even they did contribute to material in the albums.

The whole Wilcock thing ended quite badly for Wilcock and his lawyer (of course, people would claim that they got money) but both of their careers basically ended. Wilcock had many plans but because how things were handled everyone separated from him... It could have been interesting but now we will never know

I was not aware they had settled the matter with Wilcock! Thanks for the information.

I thought I read from a few sources back in the day about Bruce not being credited on NotB was due to his Samson contract, that he couldn't write anything outside of the band for a set amount of time (which expired after NotB released). He's dropped hints since that he did write some on NotB, but legally couldn't be credited or receive songwriting royalties from those contributions.

They had to buy Bruce out of his contract and, according to Bruce and Rod, this was done once they had earned enough money to do so in 1982. I believe Bruce had to repay that money to Sanctuary over the years.

Last edited:

Bruce did also co-write Gangland.

@Luisma

Are you sure re: Janick writing BYDTTS?

I remember reading that Bruce's cousin,the guy out of Catherine Wheel, claiming he was there when Bruce wrote it, and it sounded like Bruce was writing it himself from what I remember. It was certainly written independently of the rest of the tracks, as there was never going to be an album in the first place it was just supposed to be a once off.

@Luisma

Are you sure re: Janick writing BYDTTS?

I remember reading that Bruce's cousin,the guy out of Catherine Wheel, claiming he was there when Bruce wrote it, and it sounded like Bruce was writing it himself from what I remember. It was certainly written independently of the rest of the tracks, as there was never going to be an album in the first place it was just supposed to be a once off.

That is true (I remember a live video of Rob Dickinson telling the story at one of his acoustic shows), but I have also heard that Bruce went to Janick’s house to show him the song and that Jan told him how the riff could go, in a different way to Bruce’s original idea.

That is true (I remember a live video of Rob Dickinson telling the story at one of his acoustic shows), but I have also heard that Bruce went to Janick’s house to show him the song and that Jan told him how the riff could go, in a different way to Bruce’s original idea.
Explanation time my friend @srfc Bruce maybe competent on the guitar (and drums) however he likes to work with other people. He might have had the idea for the song played in his acoustic guitar, but, as he confessed to Mick Wall in the Run To The Hills book and is what @GhostofCain is quoting. Once he had the idea and knowing that he would need "a band" to record the track, he took his idea to Janick who improved it

Back