Paul Cairns (Mad Mac) played on The Soundhouse Tapes

Do we have a definitive answer on this?
Yes.. Doug Sampson, Loopy, Paul Di'Anno has confirmed this. Besides, Paul Cairns himself has said so and the was even given a golden disc by Maiden Co. in recognisition of his work on the EP

Golden disc? Golden discs are only given when albums reach a certain sales certification, Soundhouse Tapes never qualified for one. Must be something unofficial.

Golden disc? Golden discs are only given when albums reach a certain sales certification, Soundhouse Tapes never qualified for one. Must be something unofficial.

It could well be a Gold Disc corresponding to another album, to compensate him for not being properly credited on The Soundhouse Tapes. I am sure @Luisma would know.

Christmas 2014

Interesting timing, not that long after they were sued for plagiarism. Were they trying to right their wrongs?

You can just buy those golden discs custom made. Could’ve been something Maiden did to commemorate a reissue campaign. Surprising they acknowledged an uncredited guitarist though (and someone who afaik the band hasn’t actually publicly acknowledged playing on the demos).

It was given to him by Harris in order to recognise his part of the Maiden story

It could well be a Gold Disc corresponding to another album, to compensate him for not being properly credited on The Soundhouse Tapes. I am sure @Luisma would know.

Interesting timing, not that long after they were sued for plagiarism. Were they trying to right their wrongs?
It was. They gave him a gold disc for the debut album. And yes, as I said in a previous post, it was given to him to sort of recognise his part in the band's history

You can just buy those golden discs custom made. Could’ve been something Maiden did to commemorate a reissue campaign. Surprising they acknowledged an uncredited guitarist though (and someone who afaik the band hasn’t actually publicly acknowledged playing on the demos).
They have done things with past members privately. This is how the manage certain things. They have reach hands to almost every past member one way of another.

It would be kind of amazing to see them publicly recognising things that contradict many of the stories they have told for many years... And the chance they had to tell something different, which was when they did the first documentary (The Early Years) was kind of wasted...

But most of the past members remain happy and friends amongst them, so I guess is ok

They have done things with past members privately. This is how the manage certain things. They have reach hands to almost every past member one way of another.

It would be kind of amazing to see them publicly recognising things that contradict many of the stories they have told for many years... And the chance they had to tell something different, which was when they did the first documentary (The Early Years) was kind of wasted...
I wonder if, since the plagiarism incident, the band has offered some sort of settlement to any past members whose writing contributions to the material used in the debut and Killers went uncredited. Considering the more straight-and-narrow songwriting approach Steve has tended to go with since Number of the Beast, it's difficult to believe he wrote every note on the first two albums (minus the one Di'Anno co-write), which are pretty varied in sound when compared to the tighter, more locked-in sound that would shortly follow once the "pre-record contract" material had all been put down on those two albums. Granted, Steve no doubt has his trademark stamp all over those two records, and it's certainly possible the sound is so varied because he hadn't nailed down the "Maiden sound" yet.

Still, he has that weird "no outside writers policy," and did take Blaze's writing credits off the four songs on Brave New World because he was out of the band at that point (though he likely paid him for it behind the scenes), but what about back then when there was very little money and even less business savvy?

Last edited:
Steve paid out Paul and Clive in the 80’s, and Blaze shortly after he left. Not sure if he bought out Adrian and Bruce when they left, or attempted to do so. Their songs were definetly more worth in total. For all we know, he could also have paid out members from the earliest days.

I wonder if, since the plagiarism incident, the band has offered some sort of settlement to any past members whose writing contributions to the material used in the debut and Killers went uncredited. Considering the more straight-and-narrow songwriting approach Steve has tended to go with since Number of the Beast, it's difficult to believe he wrote every note on the first two albums (minus the one Di'Anno co-write), which are pretty varied in sound when compared to the tighter, more locked-in sound that would shortly follow once the "pre-record contract" material had all been put down on those two albums. Granted, Steve no doubt has his trademark stamp all over those two records, and it's certainly possible the sound is so varied because he hadn't nailed down the "Maiden sound" yet.

Still, he has that weird "no outside writers policy," and did take Blaze's writing credits off the four songs on Brave New World because he was out of the band at that point (though he likely paid him for it behind the scenes), but what about back then when there was very little money and even less business savvy?
This a subject I did studied when writting my first book.

The story can be summarised like this. Most of the songs that went into the two albums basically had collaborations by other band members, some of them changed quite a lot, for example, Floating (A.K.A Purgatory) and some not so much (Wrathchild). At the time, most of those members who did not remained in the band, basically had no interest in protecting their contributions, they just did it and didn't think much about it because, after all, to them, Maiden was just another pub band.... Enter Rod Smallwood (around mid 79) and things are growing so he goes and basically sets the rule of 'you're not in the band, you're not credited'. Now, some of the past members (as was Blaze) were compensated for their contributions (Bob Sawyer, Sanctuary), while the others just didn't care. Of course, there's the exception of Barry Purkins A.K.A. who did contribute to what we know as 'The Ides Of March'... But what happens? Maiden has a huge record label behind them while Barry has almost nothing so what was he going to do? Litigate? No chance... So he basically got sweet F*** for his contribution... Somethings similar happened to Dennis Wilcock with the exception that his lawyer was a total c**t who thought he would be smart and yes, did get a settement but nowhere near what he was claiming...

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that most of the time, things have been settled in an amicable way and there are no hard feelings... But there are some exceptions like Ron Matthews who sometimes is bitter about how his tenure with Maiden ended....

Steve paid out Paul and Clive in the 80’s, and Blaze shortly after he left. Not sure if he bought out Adrian and Bruce when they left, or attempted to do so. Their songs were definetly more worth in total. For all we know, he could also have paid out members from the earliest days.
Adrian and Bruce were not paid, they both remained receiving their royalties.

This a subject I did studied when writting my first book.

The story can be summarised like this. Most of the songs that went into the two albums basically had collaborations by other band members, some of them changed quite a lot, for example, Floating (A.K.A Purgatory) and some not so much (Wrathchild). At the time, most of those members who did not remained in the band, basically had no interest in protecting their contributions, they just did it and didn't think much about it because, after all, to them, Maiden was just another pub band.... Enter Rod Smallwood (around mid 79) and things are growing so he goes and basically sets the rule of 'you're not in the band, you're not credited'. Now, some of the past members (as was Blaze) were compensated for their contributions (Bob Sawyer, Sanctuary), while the others just didn't care. Of course, there's the exception of Barry Purkins A.K.A. who did contribute to what we know as 'The Ides Of March'... But what happens? Maiden has a huge record label behind them while Barry has almost nothing so what was he going to do? Litigate? No chance... So he basically got sweet F*** for his contribution... Somethings similar happened to Dennis Wilcock with the exception that his lawyer was a total c**t who thought he would be smart and yes, did get a settement but nowhere near what he was claiming...

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that most of the time, things have been settled in an amicable way and there are no hard feelings... But there are some exceptions like Ron Matthews who sometimes is bitter about how his tenure with Maiden ended....
Thanks for the response--I wasn't sure about those actual early credits, and yeah, having Rod come in and say if you're not in the band, you're not getting credited does sound like a Rod thing to say. I do remember Wilcock trying to get something going awhile back, but interesting to hear how it all turned out.

Thanks for the response--I wasn't sure about those actual early credits, and yeah, having Rod come in and say if you're not in the band, you're not getting credited does sound like a Rod thing to say. I do remember Wilcock trying to get something going awhile back, but interesting to hear how it all turned out.
Is really a pleasure mate.

Rod even set another rule which is. You don't get credits unless you stay more than a year in the band. Reason why Bruce, Adrian and Janick didn't get credits on their first albums even they did contribute to material in the albums.

The whole Wilcock thing ended quite badly for Wilcock and his lawyer (of course, people would claim that they got money) but both of their careers basically ended. Wilcock had many plans but because how things were handled everyone separated from him... It could have been interesting but now we will never know

Is really a pleasure mate.

Rod even set another rule which is. You don't get credits unless you stay more than a year in the band. Reason why Bruce, Adrian and Janick didn't get credits on their first albums even they did contribute to material in the albums.

The whole Wilcock thing ended quite badly for Wilcock and his lawyer (of course, people would claim that they got money) but both of their careers basically ended. Wilcock had many plans but because how things were handled everyone separated from him... It could have been interesting but now we will never know
I thought I read from a few sources back in the day about Bruce not being credited on NotB was due to his Samson contract, that he couldn't write anything outside of the band for a set amount of time (which expired after NotB released). He's dropped hints since that he did write some on NotB, but legally couldn't be credited or receive songwriting royalties from those contributions.

Back