Paschendale mashup

There's a bit in you video that was quite poignant. It was the German soldier running towards a trench to, what transpired, his death. What must go through the mind of a soldier in that situation - on both sides? Kill or be killed? Anger? Hate? Fear? His orders?

The movie itself is quite good, and I recommend it to anyone who is interested, but it is a very hard movie to watch.

The solo parts were probably the hardest to watch, that close combat with anything nearby used to hit the enemy (I think I saw one smash another's skull with a rock).  The movie is probably even bloodier than I had ever imagined the war to be, or more accurately I couldn't imagine. 

Guns, knives, bayonets, entrenching tools, anything at hand was used.  The only weapon of death that I didn't see in the movie was the Mills Bomb.

One of the things I thought about, while watching, was that most of those men had to know that by running across that field, they were going to certain death.  I can't imagine what they must have been feeling/thinking to muster up the courage to do that. 

Fear.  Fear of being shot by your own side.  Fear of being labelled a coward.

The thing is, if you are a coward, I don't think you'd care what you are labled, you know?  I get fear, but wow....

Times are different, though.  Back then, if you didn't go over, you got shot for not going over.  Even if you did go over and shirked, you would be a coward, shunned from all society.  Everyone would ask why....why aren't you fighting?

Thanks to everyone who viewed it.  Please spread my video around to other sites, I know many of you post elsewhere, and have many metal friends.

My next video is likely going to be The Edge of Darkness, set to Apocalypse Now.

I'm looking forward to seeing that!

I was also thinking about doing something for Face In The Sand. I've got the footage in my head, the problem is I need to gather it first.

Brighter than a Thousand Suns would be good also, though I remember seeing one video of it, I think on this forum.  If anyone does remember/know the one, I would be grateful for a link. :)

Perun said:
I've got the footage in my head, the problem is I need to gather it first.

I know what you mean - I recall, many years ago, having a video idea like this for Sabbath's "War Pigs". But that was something like 1992, before the tech to do it was available to laymen.
I might as well add this... I wouldn't call LC's video a "mashup". It's just a video.

I've always thought that "mashup" implied mixing the audio together too - having some movie quotes overlay or interrupt the music.

But that's just splitting hairs over a definition: whatever it is properly called, the video was still good. :bigsmile:

LooseCannon said:
Thanks to everyone who viewed it.  Please spread my video around to other sites, I know many of you post elsewhere, and have many metal friends.

My next video is likely going to be The Edge of Darkness, set to Apocalypse Now.

I posted it on the sport bike forum that I hang out at.

Invader said:
Brighter than a Thousand Suns would be good also, though I remember seeing one video of it, I think on this forum.  If anyone does remember/know the one, I would be grateful for a link. :)

Was it this one?

By the way; LooseCannon, great video. Bone-chilling.

I've sent it to friend's at the university and they all had the same response as here even tho they aren't really in to maiden. One was thinking of showing it to her prof. :ok:

That's the way to introduce Iron Maiden. :ok:

I did that with a classmate with Mariner. We played the whole song in English class, reading along with the lyrics, afterwards we talked about the poem. :)

A few people said "trash" but some others (including the teacher) quite liked it.

Big props from the CBR forum.... one guy said "I like it and i hate everything, so it must be good".

Back