Official thread for Final Frontier discussion

Now that the honeymoon is over.................this album remains a massive 10. I fucking love it.  :yey:
I'm listening to the album now with Jeffmetal's order of tracks.  :)

Jeffmetal said:
The album gets much more interesting and surprising with this track list:

1.Satellite15...The Final Frontier
2.El Dorado
3.The Talisman
4.The Alchemist
5.The Man Who Would Be King
6.Coming Home
7.Starblind
8.Isle Of Avalon
9.Mother Of Mercy
10.When The Wild Wind Blows

I'll give this a shot.  I rearranged Heaven & Hell's The Devil you Know and it improved drastically (although TFF doesn't have much room for improvement.)

I rearranged Sabbath's TDTK, too and it became much much better. For the record, my order is:

Eating The Cannibals
Atom And Evil
Double The Pain
Bible Black
The Turn Of The Screw
Follow The Tears
Fear
Neverwhere
Breaking Into Heaven
Rock And Roll Angel

Jeffmetal said:
I rearranged Sabbath's TDTK, too and it became much much better. For the record, my order is:

Eating The Cannibals
Atom And Evil
Double The Pain
Bible Black
The Turn Of The Screw
Follow The Tears
Fear
Neverwhere
Breaking Into Heaven
Rock And Roll Angel

Nice!  Mine was:

Atom & Evil
Ear in the Wall (off Dio Years)
Bible Black
Fear
Double the Pain
Neverwhere
Follow the Tears
Eating the Cannibals
Turn of the Screw
Rock & Roll Angel

Eliminated Breaking into Heaven because I found it boring (though I do enjoy it more now.)

Ear In The Wall is an absolute classic from the (now, sadly deceased) Dio era Sabbath. Perfect! It was on my mp4 since I bought it, but not on the new one which I bought about one week ago. Breaking Into Heaven has an amazing chorus and stunning lyricism, but as a whole it took me a while to fully appreciate it.

I mean, if it's so normal to switch track orders with albums of legendary bands, some people must find some ease to do that. That ease is: not buying CDs, less attachment to an album the way it was meant, just switch some MP3s and that's it. Easy as hell.

Do you do that also with albums you haven't downloaded?

Forostar said:
I mean, if it's so normal to switch track orders with albums of legendary bands, some people must find some ease to do that. That ease is: not buying CDs, less attachment to an album the way it was meant, just switch some MP3s and that's it. Easy as hell.

Sorry, but you talked a lot of shit without knowledge of our persons, here. I used to alternate tracks order from albums since I was a child; I used to make a raffle by writing all Maiden songs names on pieces of paper, then put then onto a cap, mix all and picking papers and making different order cassettes to make the listening more interesting, dynamic and unpredictable. When one listens to an album and alternates the order an album is because he feels something about the album's mood and this internet easy way bullshit you stated has no relation on being an investigating listener who loves to explore the music. I always played my cd's on random/shuffle as soon as I got an CD Player, back in 1994.

If you're so worried about it, I'll send you a list of bands I love and when they release whatever stuff I'd like to have, I'll email you the list, then you just buy and send 'em to my address, ok?  ;) :D

I have made tons of compilations as well (mixing songs from different albums), but to constantly change album orders doesn't appeal me to me as having huge interest in the way an album was meant.

When someone changes an album order, it says more about his own mood (in my view).

It's a challenge to dive into an album, the way it was meant, to adapt yourself to an album's mood.
It's the easy way to adapt an album to your own mood.

I admit that I can imagine that Talisman would fit better earlier on the album, but still I am not going to change an authentic product to give in to my own problems with that song.

Call me an oldfashioned fart, but still an interested oldfashioned fart who respects music the way it was done.

My 2 cents.

Forostar said:

I still buy CD's and then rip them with CDEX. Makes rearranging just as easy and you get much better quality MP3s.

I've never though of rearranging albums though except for "shuffle" but I'm going to try this suggested playlist. I have to admit it took me until now to really appreciate The Man who would be king and songs like Coming Home and Starblind are still not getting the attention I know they deserve.

Forostar said:
Call me an oldfashioned fart, but still an interested oldfashioned fart who respects music the way it was done.

Yeah... I listen to Maiden since 1985 and was waiting since then for the internet era to arrive so I could listen to the albums 'properly'. ::)

Well, if it helps, then there's no arguments against it. It's personal.

Instead of wanting to influence an album, I rather let the album influence me instead.

Are there any limits to this process? E.g., do you guys also switch the order of live albums (speaking of 1985 ;-) )?

Forostar said:
Well, if it helps, then there's no arguments against it. It's personal.

Instead of wanting to influence an album, I rather let the album influence me instead.

Maybe you're incapable of perceiving such things.

Harris wanted to put Total Eclipse in place of Gangland and he obviously did it on personal 'mood'/'desire' or maybe he didin't know how to enjoy the album, 'properly'. ::)

Forostar said:
Are there any limits to this process? E.g., do you guys also switch the order of live albums (speaking of 1985 ;-) )?

The limit is on your mind. Or maybe your ears.

I wish you good luck with changing the order of the songs in the bootleg of the concert you have been to.  ::)

I don't switch songs around, but Foro, do you ever listen to a song without listening to the whole album? ;)

Certainly. Quite often. Especially:
1. Old stuff or
2. One song on internet in case I want to find out how a band sounds.

But not new CDs. I buy a lot of jazz albums, and I play these new CDs in order, more than once. Though not in one listening session, due to lack of time.

@Jeff: a bit more humour would suit you well, sometimes...    :innocent:

Forostar said:
I have made tons of compilations as well (mixing songs from different albums), but to constantly change album orders doesn't appeal me to me as having huge interest in the way an album was meant.

When someone changes an album order, it says more about his own mood (in my view).

It's a challenge to dive into an album, the way it was meant, to adapt yourself to an album's mood.
It's the easy way to adapt an album to your own mood.

I admit that I can imagine that Talisman would fit better earlier on the album, but still I am not going to change an authentic product to give in to my own problems with that song.

My 2 cents.

I understand where you're coming from.  I buy physical CD's when possible from groups I closely follow - just in the past month or so I've acquired British Steel, a Mastodon record, BS's Tyr, The Final Frontier, and Rust in Peace Live (arriving on Thursday - woohoo!).  However, groups I'm more taking a chance on, I'll get the mp3's because it's cheaper and easier.  And if I burn a CD from mp3's I've purchased, it frustrates me to no end when iTunes somehow skewed the order of the songs when creating the playlist (good thing I'm using Zune now  :bigsmile:).

To be honest, I generally don't rearrange, or clip off intros/outros as some have said they do on this board.  The only time I've rearranged a record was the aforementioned The Devil You Know, and only because after repeated listens I really felt the order of the songs only weakened it.  No upbeat songs until the last part of the CD, odd pairings, an obvious closer (Rock N Roll Angel) sandwiched in the middle; all of these things took enjoyment away from the experience for me.  I can hardly listen to my original CD anymore (although breaking out the vinyl from time to time is always a blast.)

Back