Official Star Trek Thread

Oh, yes, Khan has always been my fav ST movie of all time.  I couldn't have been 10 or so when I first saw it-- broke my heart when Spock died.  Great acting, IMO.

I gotta spend some time with DS9, sounds like.

Search term - number of Google results
Khan!- 72,400,000
Khaan! - 318,000
Khaaan! - 22,400
Khaaaan! - 49,500
Khaaaaan! - 177,000
Khaaaaaan! - 6,760
Khaaaaaaan! - 7,520
Khaaaaaaaan! - 33,200
Khaaaaaaaaan! - 24,500
Khaaaaaaaaaan! - 13,200
Khaaaaaaaaaaan! - 15,900
Khaaaaaaaaaaaan! - 9,600
Khaaaaaaaaaaaaan! - 9,540
Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! - 4,940
Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! - 5,380
Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! - 4,440
Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! - 4,010
Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! - 3,610
Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! - 3,590
Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! - 4,490
Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! - 2,430
Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! - 2,590
Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! - 1,980
Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! - 162
Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! - 3
(that's the longest Google will search for)

SinisterMinisterX said:
Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! - 3

The owner(s?) of those three pages is my new hero.

So, I said 'fuck it' tonite, and decided to throw down some Star Trek films.  Just finished III, and just started IV.  I have First Contact queued up for after.  Just a good Star Trek day.

I am at the very last of DS9 - tomorrow I watch the first of 9 episodes in The Final Chapter.

SinisterMinisterX said:

Now Google finds four pages, two of which are this thread. And I'm sure it will now be five.

Just an excuse to resurrect this beast of nerdiness.

Sure, as long as it's pre-Star Trek Wars.  As opposed to the Star Wars Trek.

:notworthy: "All Power To The Engines"

Kahn is awesome.  Beyond just a better story and direction, the advanage in Kahn was they recognized that time had past since the original show and the characters were older, versus that God-Awful filter and makeup they had on Kirk/Spock.  Kahn felt more "real"

Let's get this geekfest back to action.

As mentioned elsewhere, I'm on sort of an epic Star Trek marathon. I recently finished watching the Original Series, leaving out a few episodes. In general, I made an interesting observation. I used to love the series as a kid, then re-watched it when I was older and didn't see much except awkward 60's camp. Having re-watched it again, I was pleasantly surprised. Not only does the series hold up incredibly well in general, but the individual episodes really do have some intriguing drama. This time around, I found it much easier to accept the 60's camp for what it really is, the budget limitations of an ill-fated television series. Yeah, the creature in The Devil in the Dark looks like a giant heap of pizza puke, but that doesn't really make the episode or its content any worse.
One thing I noticed however, is how incredibly sexist the times back then were. Considering how progressive Star Trek was for its time, and how sexist the show is by today's standards, I really wouldn't have wanted to be a woman back then. Sure, you see women in a lot of high-ranking professions, but if you look back at what the role of the female characters essentially had, Uhura being virtually the only exception, you'll find they don't come off particularly well. I read somewhere that the creators of the series had the best of intentions, but could only work within the straightjacket of conservative television norms. So I'm not really blaming them.
Still, it's a really good series all in all, more than a fond childhood memory, and really does warrant re-watching from time to time.

So now I'm re-watching all the films. I've seen them all again and again, but for most of them, it's actually been quite a while. The most recent viewings were about ten years ago, the only exception probably being VI. I just finished IV. Are they as good as I remember them? Wrath of Kahn certainly is an amazing film, and The Voyage Home also holds up pretty well for a mid-80's comedy (unlike, I confess, Ghostbusters). I know I'd The Motion Picture before, but I remembered virtually nothing from it, so it was pretty much a first time all over again, and I actually liked it. Search For Spock is the weakest of the first four, but still enjoyable. I'll probably do an in-depth review of all the films when I'm done with the marathon.

I just finished Voyager, finished TNG a few months ago, have 7 episodes of DS9 to go ... and have seen TOS episodes a zillion times. I think I will take a ST beak for a while before I watch Enterprise. Will post some thoughts the series when I finish up DS9.

I remember an episode of TOS where they said a woman couldn't be captain of a starship. Clearly that changed by the 90's!

I am one of the few Enterprise fans I know. I know that some of it was pushed around pretty hard to make 'history' make sense, but I really liked the "mirror darkly" episodes that came near the end of the series.

I just saw that DS9 was available on Netflix-- looks like I have something to start viewing soon!

Oh man, we sell these Star Trek Buckles at the store I work at and they are intense
it is like a hood ornament! I have one and it is a relic that is well talked about if not highly impractical

Would you wear this beast?

So, I was looking through my Netflix and saw that the Wrath of Khan was back on. So, I thought I'd watch that, but decided to watch Space Seed first. Then, while watching that, I Wiki'd Ricardo, then ended up on a Wiki Star Trek Timeline page... Which led me to some Voyager threads on Wiki. I've never really watched too much of Voyager... I need to sit down and watch the whole series, I think. It is pretty ok. I have to admit, I don't care what series I watch, I always like to watch a 'time' episode-- forward, backward, alternate... I like them all!

Botany Bay? Botany Bay... Botany Bay. Botany Bay! BOTANY BAY!

Back