Official Star Trek Thread

I finally started watching Enterprise, I had only seen a stray episode here or there. I am mostly done with Season 2. This has been better than I expected, though I expected it to be pretty bad, so my expectations were rather low.

I think it is time for a new series .. set in some different time period than we have already seen in the movies and various TV shows. Hopefully a series (and only one series) will come about. I would have to think with the success of the last movie and the probably success of the next movie that Paramount has to be thinking about this.

I think it is time for a new series .. set in some different time period than we have already seen in the movies and various TV shows. Hopefully a series (and only one series) will come about. I would have to think with the success of the last movie and the probably success of the next movie that Paramount has to be thinking about this.

That would be great, but what time period would that be? I can only think of either the post-DS9 future, or the period between the TOS and TNG material. The latter would be cool, because I really like the aesthetics developed in the Wrath of Khan to Undiscovered Country era. But can they bring that to the 21st century?

I'd like to see another Star Trek series, ideally post-DS9 future. However, I'd like whoever might make this hypothetical series to take a different approach to making it than has previously been done. What I mean is that a new series should be make the way modern TV series are made. The old series are good, but the plots don't veer off the beaten track much do they? Perhaps a hypothetical new series could be done in a more edgy, darker style like Battlestar Galactica? I mean not that, but like that...

I kind of prefer something more adventrue/explorer oriented than battle/darkness oriented. There is a whole time frame with the 'Enterprise C' that could be done... and, if you wanted something darker, we know how that ended.

You would think after the Dominion War, the Borg war that there would be some sort of re-evaluation of the Federation ... ie we find new places and get into wars. Something that goes along those lines could be interesting. I would like to see it set after DS9, be at least somewhat serial and more like DS9 that a "planet of the week" deal. It would be nice if Moore would do it, he did such a good job with the Klingons, DS9, and Battlestar.

How about a reality show with Riker as first officer on Klingon battleship?

I get the battle / dark stuff, but after Battlestar Galactica, I've had enough dark for a while. That was bleak and I got really worn out from it.

Honestly, I'd love to see something from the post-Archer/pre-Kirk era, something that gets them out exploring and a few run-ins (I'm thining there is at least a Romulan war and maybe a Klingon one), but something that is slightly more lighthearted. Maybe a mix of Eureka and TOS-- something fun.

Maybe something that has a finite number of episodes, so we know there is an ending, maybe 5 seasons worth of episodes and the final episode has the Captain of the starship promoted to Admiral and teaching at the academy, and his first student is a first year cadet named Kirk...

So, I finally watched Enterprise (actually have about 4 episodes to go) and for the most part have enjoyed this show. Certainly moreso than Voyages, though not as much as TNG/TOS/DS9

Seasons 1 and 2 were okay, some good individual episodes, but uneven. The whole season 3 Zindi thing was pretty well done IMO, and Season 4 has been for the most part excellent. The two/three parters have all been quite good, I could have done without the mirror universe story (really do not care for the mirror universe with the exception of the TOS episode), but the Defiant shots were still cool. Had they had the writing staff from Season 4 and done those stories in Season 1, the show might have had a different fate.

Yeah, that's been pretty much my opinion of it. 1 and 2 were rocky (as they are in every other post TOS season), 3 was really well done. Archer especially developed as a character there - and you didn't always like it. Season four was straight-up great, other than the last episode, I felt it to be one of the strongest seasons of Star Trek ever.

I disagree about the mirror universe. I really enjoy the DS9/Enterprise mirror universe episodes. One thing to say about the Enterprise mirror universe episodes that you have to like, though, bearfan - the intro wasn't that stupid fucking song.

As for the mirror universe stories, I liked some of them, I thought the Enterprise one was pretty clever in being both a prequel to the TOS mirror story and a sequel to the Tholian Web episode at the same time, plus it is always cool to see a TOS ship/gadgets/uniforms. The new Enterprise song and intro was cool. The regular song is just sickening and watching these on Netflix makes it bad, since it is a pain to just skip over it.

I guess my main problem with them is the general premise of "here are the characters we know and have built up in a certain way, but their couterparts are different" For a standalone episode, it is an interesting concept and I suppose it is a decent way to bring dead characters back to life .. but I would rather have stories in the universe we know (and possibly love :) ) and do something to advance the characters we do know. Especially on the more serialized shows like Enterprise became in season 4 and what DS9 was season 3 -on ... I admit that some of the DS9 ones and Enterprise ones were well done, I just do not like the premise to start with.

I guess I should add from Enterprise's cut off mirror uniforms to Kira's rubber suit, the mirror universe women do look hot.

That's heartwarming.

Guinan (her character on Star Trek) was a great character too. Wise, compassionate, mysterious and still not without human flaws. And best of all: Not ruined by some stupid origin story.

In recent years, and I would say starting with the Star Wars prequels, it has become a trend to tell origin stories. Star Trek itself hasn't been spared with the recent reboot of the franchise. I think that ruins very much. Do I need to know why McCoy is being called "Bones" by Kirk? Do I need to see how Kirk cheated the Kobayashi test? And with a quick back nod to Star Wars, having just re-watched Empire Strikes Back, I noticed that so many things that were told in detail in the prequels should not have been told at all from a narrative perspective. Sometimes, things are better left implied.

With Guinan, the very appeal of the character is her mystery. She occasionally hints at things of her pasts, or slips a mention, and it's left to the viewer to piece it together and find out for himself how she can know all the things she knows. Generations added a bit to the back story, but in a way that it actually raised more questions. If Guinan had been part of a narrative of, say, the past ten years, we would probably have gotten to see everything: Where she came from, what exactly her powers are, what kind of experiences and adventures she'd had... the aura of mystery that surrounds her makes her such a memorable character, and I'm very happy that this has not been tampered with. Yet.

That's heartwarming.

Guinan (her character on Star Trek) was a great character too. Wise, compassionate, mysterious and still not without human flaws. And best of all: Not ruined by some stupid origin story.

I agree with this, there are some origin stories that are worthwhile and some are better left a mystery. The advantage Star Trek had over Star Wars was that it was episodic TV, so they could slowly reveal some things from a characters past that shape their present, but they could do it over a long period of time so it is more subtle versus a movie where they need to get to it pretty quick and be in your face about it

Say, Sisko's backstory, which unfolded over all seven seasons and had an important part in the show's ending.

Sisko's story (or should I call him The Sisko) was just excellent. He was the least God-like of the "Captains" and the least Starfleet, take the story about how he got the Romulans in the war for example, and he ends up being a God. Just brilliant IMO. I love DS9, such an awesome series.

Back