Official Hockey discussion thread

Onhell said:
The Bruins Signed Fernandez! I am SHOCKED. Finally a good move, hopefully he sticks around, and Edmonton continues to dismantle their team now by losing Jason Smith and Jeoffry Lupul... Good lord.

Well the former Oilers Ryan Smyth is now with the Avalanche.  If there is one American team I really like its the Avalanche.

Being American, my fave team has been Detroit. But now that Yzerman retired and Shanahan isn't there anymore, they're probably not going to be as good...

I like Colorado too. I remember liking their jerseys alot. Sure, when Det played Col back in the day I was rooting for Detroit...but didn't Yzerman score his 500th goal against them? I believe it was January 17, 1996! Someone chack for me!

Hope the Pens get further in the playoffs next year! They have a chance at the Cup now

Genghis Khan said:
Well the former Oilers Ryan Smyth is now with the Avalanche.  If there is one American team I really like its the Avalanche.

You have to add the Bruins and Pittsburgh :D You just gotta love them Pens man. But yeah, I've been a Quebec/Colorado fan For many years now, I miss the Col/Det rivalry :(

This year Philly, Chicago and Colorado will be the teams to watch. Pitts will be just as exciting and St. Louis is making good moves to, they signed Kariya...

Today is July 11, and one of the greatest defensemen in the game celebrates his birthday!

Al MacInnis, who had a wicked slapshot!  :hbd:

Born July 11, 1963 in *well, Wiki has 2 places* Inverness, Nova Scotia (that's the one I remember, Wiki says Port Hood), he played for Calgary and St. Louis, won the Cup w/Calgary in 1989. He is 3rd all time among defensemen in points (Ray Bourque #1, Paul Coffey #2)

Won the Hardest Shot Competition 7 times in the All Star Game
Conn Smythe Trophy in 1989-MVP in the playoffs
Norris Trophy-best defenseman 1999

Quote from Wikipedia
MacInnis has the distinction of playing in two of the three games featuring the largest third-period comeback in NHL history. On January 26, 1987, the Calgary Flames came back from a 5-0 deficit in the third period to beat the Toronto Maple Leafs 6-5 in overtime. MacInnis scored a hat trick in the third period. Nearly 14 years later, on November 29, 2000, the St. Louis Blues came back from a 5-0 deficit to defeat the Leafs 6-5 in overtime again; MacInnis played another key role by recording a power-play goal in the third period.
That's something I never knew, but that's awesome! Coming back fom 5-0 in one period? Extremely hard!

Retred Sep 9, 2005, elected to the HHOF this year w/Scott Stevens, Ron Francis, and good ole Mess! 4 big names!

I live in a suburb of Detroit but I am a Toronto Maple Leafs fan for LIFE.  It's okay, I don't mind the weird looks when I wear my Domi jersey either  <_<

Happy Belated Birthday, Al  :D

LooseCannon said:
...Domi?  Oh god.

Yeah, AND??  :D

You're safe now.. he's retired.  I just liked the fact that he could actually PLAY halfway decent, fight a little bit (LOL) and it was a total bonus that he's a little guy out there amongst the giants (Zdeno Chara, anyone??) ;)

He's also the only person I can remember getting ejected from an NHL game for using racist slurs on the ice.  Sorry.  Give me le bleu, blanc, et rouge any day.

I'm sure there have  been many others LC, but you're right, in recent history he is the only one that comes to mind. I should send you my power point presentation I did on the racial/ethnic diversity in the NHL today hahahaha, sucks ass but hey, it got me an "A" lol

It looks like this:
White: 98% of the NHL
Black: Iginla, Brashear, Laraque and about two others.
Mexican: Scott Gomez
Jewish: THe Niedermayers

It's July 16, another birthday in the hocey world....

#22 Claude Lemieux. LC, didn't you tell me you hated him? Or did you tell me I should hate him cuz I liked Detroit? hehe I forgot!

And yesterday was Barry Melrose's bday...

And yesterday I was at the Hockey Hall Of Fame with the Stanley Cup... :D :D Sorry, that's off topic, maybe hehe

That's damn lucky of you!!! I still think Neidermayer having a picture taken from a chopper as he raised the Cup from the canadian rockies as the sun set is the coolest thing ever hehe. Oh and Claude Lemieux rocks by the way :D

Not really a prediction, but I'd just like to see the Leafs MAKE the playoffs...  <_<

I think the Leafs will make the playoffs this year - signing Blake and trading for Toskala are some pretty smart moves.  Unfortunately they have traded away a lot of their future to get Toskala and Raycroft - and now it looks like Raycroft isn't even going to play.

Philly's back with a vengeance.  I don't expect Montreal to make the playoffs next year.  Their team is too rebuilding.  In two-three years though, once Price hits the big leagues, it's all Habs all the time.

Look for Pittsburgh to do better next year than they did this year. Second or third rounds of the playoffs.

HOWEVER.  My prediction for the Stanley Cup is thus:
Colorado will win after they trade for a quality goalkeeper, possibly Ilya Bryzgalov or Cristobal Huet (I hate to say it...but I have a sneaking suspicion).  Another possibility will be Miikka Kiprusoff after Mike Keenan flushes the Flames down the toilet and Sutter decides he might as well get a first rounder from someone for the prize goaltender.  Ryan Smyth will win the Conn Smythe and have around 17-20 goals in the playoff run, of which at least 10 will be off his face.

Sidney Crosby will win the scoring race again.  And the Hart Trophy again.  And the Pearson.  Again.

Roberto Luongo will officially take the crown as the NHL's best goaltender this year when he backstops Vancouver to the Western Conference finals but simply cannot figure out exactly what way pucks are going to bounce off of Smyth's crooked nose.

Chicago will make the playoffs.  Their MVP will be Martin Havlat, but Jonathan Toews will win the Calder Trophy, narrowly beating out Erik and Jack Johnson for the trophy.

Mark Messier will become Assistant GM of the Rangers.  He will not be allowed any say in the organization.

New Jersey misses the playoffs for the first time in the Brodeur Era.  The Epic Goaltender considers hanging up his skates.

LC gets incredibly loaded at Canada vs. USA in May of 2008 in Halifax and says some very embarassing things about what he'd like to do to Hilary Clinton.

The Hamilton Bulldogs will win the AHL again, backstopped by the incredibly brilliant Carey Price.  Nobody except Habs fans will care.

And most importantly:
Canada beats Russia five games to three in the 2007 Junior Summit Series.

Seriously.  Colorado is probably the deepest team in the West right now, rivaling Anaheim for that honour.

Back