Official Hockey discussion thread

Genghis Khan said:
Sorry about the Crosby and the Pittsburgh thing  :D :innocent:.

Like I said, not too surprised about that, 13 players were playoff rookies. Oh and Crosby played with a broken foot for over a month :p

For the few hockey fans out there who do you thinks going to make it to the cup and win it there’s only four teams left (Ottawa buffalo Anaheim and Detroit). I think that its going to be Ottawa and Anaheim and hopefully Ottawa will win the cup its about time they have a good play off run. So what do you think GK, Onhell, LooseCannon and any one else out there that’s interested in hockey

I picked Buffalo and Anaheim before the season started, but I'm obviously pulling for Ottawa.  I think it'll be Ottawa vs Anaheim and I think Anaheim will win.  Pronger + Niedermayer is simply indomitable.

Well, Ottawa is obviously going, unless Buffalo can pull a playoff miracle and win the three remaining games. Since that is highly unlikely I'm with Loosecanon. ANA vs. OTT, but I want OTT to win, BRING IT BACK TO CANADA BOYS!!!

Obviously I'm all for Ottawa too.  ;)

I just stopped watching Detroit-Anaheim (3:5).  I hope this series is close so that they tire each other out.  :)

Well, since no one is rooting for the Sens, I guess I have to.  :yey:

Tell me guys, is it better for Ottawa to have finished this early and that the other series is going into at least two more games?  OR is Ottawa going to have too much rest/rust for the final?

And don't tell me that it does not matter because the Sens won't win anyway.  -_-

I'm cheering for the Sens.  I still *think* the Ducks will win.  But I am rooting for the Sens.

The Senators have had a week off between every series so far.  I'd say they'll keep their heads about them as best as they can.  They have some young guys, but they've been in high pressure games before.  Alfy's won the World Championship and the Olympic Gold, Heatley's gone for the IHWC Gold, Spezza's been in the World Juniors.  All will be well for them.

I hope so. And I hate to say I told them so, but... I told them so. Non-traditional hockey markets are "nontraditional" for a reason YOU NEED SO!!!! So fuck Tampa Bay, Florida, Phoenix, Any Team in California (even if the sharks and ducks are doing well) and... I think that's where my rage ends... no wait. Dallas... WTF?

Yay!  The Hamilton Bulldogs have won the Calder Cup.   :yey:

That's awesome news.  At least one Ontario hockey team does not suck!  (I'll be a little bitter and peaved for a while).

Go Dogs Go!   :ok: :ok: :ok:

I wonder if this will help feed the Canadians team for next year?!

I'm glad I got to see the Stanley Cup Final for the first time in three or four years. It was so worth it, specially seeing the Niedermayer brothers win it together, that has to be the coolest thing in the world, sharing the glory of the hardest trophy to earn in pro sports with your brother. I guess the Koivu's can share gold medals in olympic and world tournaments until they end up teammates in Montreal lol.

I hate Gary Bettman.  Everyone wants an NHL team in my home town, except for that guy with power. 

http://sports.sympatico.msn.cbc.ca/TopStories/ContentPosting.aspx?feedname=CBC-SPORTS-V2&showbyline=True&newsitemid=balsillie-nashville

Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie's attempt to purchase the Nashville Predators has hit a roadblock, according to team owner Craig Leipold.

CBC Sports

Jim Balsillie won't get a chance to move the Nashville Predators to Hamilton.
(Mark Lennihan/Associated Press) 
The Predators boss advised the National Hockey League in a letter that he no longer wanted the league to consider the sale to Balsillie until a binding agreement can be completed.

"We did send the NHL a letter today requesting that it not do any further due diligence on Jim Balsillie's offer for the Nashville Predators until we reach a binding agreement," Leipold said in a statement on Friday. "If Jim is interested in reaching a binding agreement, we are prepared to move forward."

Balsillie, the co-CEO of BlackBerry-maker Research In Motion, agreed to buy the team from Leipold for $220 million US on May 24 in a transfer of ownership, but the term sheet was non-binding. The holdup for the deal prevented the NHL's 30 teams from voting on the sale.

Balsillie had already started a process to move the Predators to Hamilton if the franchise was able to opt out of the lease in Nashville after the sale.

A week after the announced sale, Balsillie reactivated a deal that gave him exclusive rights to negotiate a lease option for housing an NHL team at Hamilton's Copps Coliseum, news that caught Leipold by surprise.

Thousands seasons tickets were sold after Hamilton's city council approved the agreement that would have allowed Copps Coliseum to be the home of the Predators.

However, at the board of governors meeting in New York this week, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said talks of Nashville relocating to Hamilton were "premature."

"Currently there isn't a fully completed application before the board of governors," Bettman said on Wednesday. "As a result, I think people are getting a little bit ahead of themselves on this entire issue.

"It isn't in any shape or form close to being ready for consideration as it relates to approval of an ownership change. I'm not exactly sure why people are focused on the Nashville Predators being anywhere other than in Nashville at this particular point in time."

Last December, Balsillie withdrew his $175-million US offer to buy the Pittsburgh Penguins after it was rejected by owner Mario Lemieux.

With files from the Canadian Press

Good thread! I like hockey too, and for years Detroit was my fave team until Steve Yzerman retired. Well, they still are my fave team, but #19 was its heart and soul, IMO. I remember in 1995 when Jersey swept Det for the Cup I was pissed because I wanted Detroit to win so bad! But Det won in 1997-98 and that satisfied me.

Today, since I live near Pittsburgh, I watched the Pens a bit this year, Crosby and Malkin were great! I think they have a chance at the Cup next year...I have been to about 20 Pens games in 11 years and most of them have been wins. Maybe next year my hubby and I will go to one.

Anahein was great this year, I know everyone was rooting for Buffalo cuz they were red-hot all season! They started out like 23-9 or something...

I remember Ottawa being so bad, they finished dead last in the league in the early-mid 90's...now look at them! They went to the Final this year!

Bettman is killing hockey.  End of story.  He has this ridiculous and pointless devotion to the South that makes absolutely no sense.  I bet that if it was a team like Calgary wanting to move to Kansas City he'd be all for it.  Hell, he wasn't going to block the Penguins moving to KC, and tried to facilitate it.  Thank God for Mario Lemieux.

Since Bettman took over you have to look at where teams have come into existence.  Minnesota is the only "hockey country" area he allowed expansion into; after allowing the North Stars to move to Dallas!  He's encouraging creation of markets where there is none.  Nashville was a terrible choice for a team location.  The fans don't know the rules.  They had PETER FORSBERG and they didn't buy tickets.  PETER-FUCKING-FOPPA-FORSBERG, easily one of the best players of the last decade (if not the best).  My girlfriend is a Forsberg fan and she hates hockey, that's how famous he is.  And those goddamn rednecks didn't even know.

Bettman is concentrating on ratings, but failing at that.  I used to think the salary cap was a good thing, but I am becoming not so sure.  In the past, the big hockey teams in the USA (NYR, Detroit, Philly, Boston, and Colorado) could buy mass amounts of talent and go deep, carrying big ratings.  Now, anyone can win, and because so many teams are outside of the traditional hockey area, when those teams go deep, noone gives a fuck.  I am a passionate Canadian, but I barely cared about the playoffs this year.  It's very, very sad.  Now, if the Habs make it next year...

LooseCannon said:
I am a passionate Canadian, but I barely cared about the playoffs this year.  It's very, very sad.  Now, if the Habs make it next year...

Agreed, to the whole thing, but particularly this part, the playoffs were missing something this year, and the interesting teams (aside from Anaheim and Buffalo) didn't Make it very deep, so meh. Always next year.

The Bruins Signed Fernandez! I am SHOCKED. Finally a good move, hopefully he sticks around, and Edmonton continues to dismantle their team now by losing Jason Smith and Jeoffry Lupul... Good lord.

Back