Official Football Thread

Lol:
Nemanja Gudelj from AZ made the winning goal against the club (NAC) from which his father (trainer, and ex-football player) was fired a few weeks ago! And how! Great revenge!

Americans and football... :lol:

But even if we put the goalkeeper's movements aside for a moment, is the coach even allowed to pick a different player to take the penalty in the retake?

I think the referee was a bit harsh to have the first one retaken. This is tolerated so often, isn't it? The second was a more clear decision. Great safes by the way. The penalties themselves were not that bad.

I think the coach can decide that but normally it's more usual to leave it to the players on the field I guess.

He forgot his mask!

*table*

The Koeman brothers are doing excellent with Southampton! And they only have 5(!) goals against them, a big difference with other clubs.

May all home teams win today!
Here's how it looks today:

B2BS760CUAAcvu0.png

Southampton are the only side yet to make a single defensive error in the Premier League this season, but they have a tough schedule ahead, playing all these teams in the next 10 games:

Man City (H)
Arsenal (A)
Man Utd (H)
Everton (H)
Chelsea (H)
Arsenal (H)
Man Utd (A)

However, I think they have a shot against all of them except maybe Chelsea. City and Arsenal are very inconsistent and too reliable on Agüero and Sanchez... Liverpool and Man Utd have unsecure defence. And Everton isn't the one from last season, Europa League commitment is weakening them.

As for the penalty. Yes it is allowed to have another player take the penalty. As for the goalkeeper movements. He is allowed to move sideways before the penalty is taken, not forwards. So first time I can understand it (yet most refs do not mind it) second time has less movement forwards. But if the ref if so following the rules he would have disallowed the goal as well because one of the Portland players is inside the penalty area (only the penaltytaker and the goalkeeper are allowed to be inside the area at that time) at the moment the penalty is taken.

One of the most interesting international fixtures you'll ever see is currently being played between Turkey and Brazil in Istanbul. Turkey is down 0-4, Turkish supporters are cheering for Brazilians. They chanted Neymar's name, then protested the Turkish players when they kicked off. They even chanted "Ole! Ole!" during Brazil's passing displays. Pretty much everyone is supporting Brazil. :D

Since Turkish football is a corrupt shithole, I support our opponents as well.

One of the least interesting international fixtures as of late would be tonight's friendly between Norway and Estonia, in which the only goal came after a mistake from Norway's goalkeeper. Not very promising ahead of the qualifier against Azerbaijian on Sunday.

One of the most frustrating ones would be Holland - Mexico: 2-3.
4 losses out of 5 matches since Hiddink took over. The next match vs Latvia will be do or die.
He said that he would resign if we'd lose again (perhaps he also will if it will be a draw). I am not sure if all this is that much his fault. You see often, that after a rather succesful tournament, a team can have a weaker period afterwards. Germany is also not doing well.

In a new report, FIFA clear themselves of accusations of corruption in relation to the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids. This after a lawyer named Michael Garcia has carried out a two-year investigation. The problem is, Garcia says the report misrepresents his findings.

In other words, the investigation shows that there are things to be criticized. FIFAs report based on the investigation says everything's fine.

And Jesus wept.

We've finished evaluating whether or not we took that bribe money. We want everyone to know that we did not take bribes. You can trust us. We're honest. Promise.

Back