Official Football Thread

Fergie was a wizard. I'm sure that if you gave him a team of ten right backs he'd find a way to make it work and beat anyone. United urgently need a center back. Vlaar, or even Mexes (and that's coming from someone who loathes him) would be useful. They need someone experienced.

Blind is the 9th Dutchman to Man United:

1. Arnold Mühren
After starting his career at FC Volendam, Mühren moved to Ajax Amsterdam in 1971. He had his first domestic success with FC Twente, winning the KNVB Cup in 1977. A year later he moved to Ipswich Town in England for a fee of £150,000; in the same year he made his international debut in a 4–0 win against Tunisia. He was part of the successful Ipswich team that won the 1981 UEFA Cup. In 1982 he transferred to Manchester United. He helped United win the 1983 FA Cup Final by scoring a penalty in the replay, and left the club after the 1985 FA Cup Final, in which United defeated Everton. He did not feature in the match squad for the 1985 final.

He was one of the few players from outside the United Kingdom and Ireland playing in English football in that era.

After his stay in England, Mühren returned to Ajax, where he added the European Cup Winners' Cup (1986–87) to his trophy collection. At the age of 37, he achieved the highlight of his career, when he was a vital part of the Dutch national team that won the European Championships in 1988. In the final against the Soviet Union he provided the cross from which Marco van Basten scored the second goal (considered one of the greatest volleyed goals of all time). He continued playing for Ajax for one more season after that, finally hanging up his boots in 1989 at the age of 38.
2. Raimond van der Gouw
3. Jordi Cruijff
4. Jaap Stam
5. Ruud van Nistelrooij
6. Edwin van der Sar
7. Alexander Büttner
8. Robin van Persie
9. Daley Blind

Last edited:
Isn't Daley Blind supposed to fill that void though?

As I said before, Daley Blind is not a center back. He's mainly a defensive midfielder, also an emergency left back.

United is a fucking joke at the moment. Having less shots on target than Burnley, losing to Milton Keynes Dons 0-3 cannot be explained with the lack of options in the center back or midfield.

BwTLoQpIIAANn_1.png

This is getting ridiculous. Full back as a DM, DM as a CB, winger as a wing back. Guardiola is gonna run Bayern into the ground.

They're playing really well, though. Don't think they'll run into any trouble in Bundesliga. And I don't think Guardiola will use the same "experiments" against elite teams in Champions League.

The only reason Guardiola is trying to use these combinations is because his players are capable of playing different positions. Lahm played really well as a DM last season. It's fine to use them if the opposition is not up to their standard of play. He's trying to improve his players' capabilities of playing a multi-dimensional game, that's all there is to it.

I removed Diego Costa from my Fantasy EPL team thinking he was injured, he goes ahead and scores two goals. He was my captain as well. Meanwhile his replacement, Wayne Rooney, doesn't do jack. :mad:

1:1 against Schalke today :D Either way, Guardiola sucks and I hate him and hope he gets fired :p

I dislike him as well but in all fairness, they completely outplayed Schalke and only drew the game due to a handballed goal by Höwedes. Watched the whole game.

Louis Van Gaal has been caught speeding in Manchester! He claimed that he just wanted to know what getting 3 points felt like.

It hurts watching Balotelli playing for these fuckers.
In other news, Cerci's moving to Atletico after all, good signing for them. Griezmann-Mandzukic-Cerci is a very powerful attacking trio.
Torres called Van Ginkel to persuade him to join Milan on loan, and it seems he succeeded - only unknown thing is whether it's a loan with or without a buy-out clause.

BBC Radio just reported that Javier Hernandez might be joining Real Madrid on loan for the season.:confused: I know he can't get a game at Manchester United, but with Ronaldo, Bale, Rodriquez and Benzema already at Real Madrid he's not likely to be a relevant squad member over there.

Back