Official Football Thread

Lots of rumours today that Gazprom will buy Red Star for €100 million, of which 40 would be to pay off debts and 20 for the stadium. It'd be cool. Current situation is sickening.

My two favorite teams (Galatasaray & Arsenal) are in the same group in the Champions League. Along with Borussia Dortmund and Anderlecht.

Yep. Always likely to happen when there are too many teams from the same country in the draw and UEFA wants to split them up in the group stages.

Falcao is gonna sign for Real Madrid! Wonder if this is gonna cause another chain reaction like last year (Arsenal sells Gervinho to Roma, Roma sells Lamela to Spurs, Spurs sell Bale to Real, Real sells Özil to Arsenal) :D

Falcao to Real, Benzema to Arsenal maybe?

Di Maria doesn't have anything to do with the Falcao signing, though.

Also, fuck's sake Real. This ain't FIFA 14.

Kagawa's returning to Dortmund after 2 years for 1/2 of his previous transfer fee. Good luck, it just wasn't meant to be. Same problem as Sahin in Real/Liverpool, played out of position too much and quickly replaced by better players.

Torres is moving to Milan on a free transfer :) I guess I'll have to support him now, hope he rediscovers his form, I'd be satisfied with 10 goals not counting penalties :p

Van Ginkel left out of the CL team and won't be on the bench vs. Everton, yet still didn't decide whether he wants to go on loan to Milan or not.

aqZ2BDp_460s.jpg

This is how Legia Warsaw's fans responded to being disqualified from the Champions League. In case you aren't familiar with this story, Legia beat Celtic 6-1 on aggregate and in the final ten minutes of the second leg a player who Legia believed had served a suspension in the previous round. However, since the player had not been registered for the previous round (he wasn't registered because Legia thought there was no point as he was suspended) UEFA did not consider him to have served his suspension and he was therefore still ineligible for the second leg against Celtic. UEFA therefore kicked Legia out of the Champions League and after two appeals (one to UEFA and the other to CAS) and a request to Celtic to re-contest the tie in a one-off match, Legia were eliminated from the Champions League because Celtic were awarded the second leg 3-0 and went through 4-4 on away goals.

I do have sympathy with all sides of this story. The result of the match was not affected by one player being on the pitch for ten minutes so it could be argued that the punishment is a draconian one. From UEFA's point of view rules are rules and it's not appropriate to make exceptions if they believe the rule is stated clearly. And from Celtic's point of view, if they haven't broken any rules then they shouldn't give a team that screwed up a second chance, plus from a business perspective it wouldn't have made sense for Celtic to jeopardize their second chance. I guess it could also be argued that UEFA should be playing more attention to who is on the team sheet and informing a team who has named an ineligible player in the match-day squad that he shouldn't be there. It's probably a bit much to eliminate a team because a suspended player was on the pitch for the final ten minutes when the tie was over so perhaps UEFA could look at the rule again and perhaps do a bit better in terms of informing clubs who they can and cannot pick.

I think in this sort of situation it would be better if UEFA slapped a fine on the offending club, or some sort of ban on registering new players for UEFA competitions.

Daley Blind's coming to MUFC.

Predicted best lineup:
1088841_Manchester_United.jpg

4-3-1-2 that can turn into 3-4-1-2 with Blind dropping back to make a 3-man defence.

That looks much, much better than the beginning of the transfer window team to be frank.

Back