NOW WATCHING

Show's turning point was the death of
Marshall's dad
. That's when it became more of a drama.

I know they're planning a show called How I Met Your Dad that won't be connected to this one (it's not gonna be the story of The Mother from HIMYM), but I'd actually rather watch that than a whole new show.

I know they're planning a show called How I Met Your Dad that won't be connected to this one (it's not gonna be the story of The Mother from HIMYM), but I'd actually rather watch that than a whole new show.

Blergh, I don't see it being that interesting.. if they have started to run dry on ideas for the first show, why would changing the gender of the main character make it suddenly work :/

Blergh, I don't see it being that interesting.. if they have started to run dry on ideas for the first show, why would changing the gender of the main character make it suddenly work :/

Because they are going to cast it with different types (probably a couple of ethnic people and at least one blonde) and recycle every single plot from HIMYM. It's an incredibly smart move, from a cash-grabbing standpoint.

Whenever that does come about, I'll be interested in checking it out at least but I have a feeling it won't be as successful as HIMYM.

Because they are going to cast it with different types (probably a couple of ethnic people and at least one blonde) and recycle every single plot from HIMYM. It's an incredibly smart move, from a cash-grabbing standpoint.

Aye from cash-grab it makes sense, but from an actual quality-of-show thing... meh. I'll probably watch it just as something to do, but I doubt I'll be too enthusiastic or like "Damn next ep needs to hurry up!!" (Speaking of which, goddamn 3 week shield break)

I was never as over-hyped by HIMYM as a lot of you seem to have been to begin with, I watched it as something to watch, it was decent enough entertainment but I was never so caught into the characters etc. Counter to most though, I don't really see the episodes as having dropped in quality that much over the years, perhaps because I marathoned it at the start of Series 8 so I saw them all at once. I do agree the later series are worse but I don't think it's a drastic difference, I found many of the early ep's to be cringeworthy at times, although the first 2 series or so were definitely the more believeable.... oddly enough, it's only in the last series that I've really gained any interest in what happens to the characters, and that's purely what happens between Marshall/Lily (although they obviously stay together). Never really cared about what happened to Ted in the "Oh no!" sense, Barney was more of comic relief than anything, Robin has been up/down.

I'll catch HIMYD out of sheer curiosity when it airs, but right now it seems like a really dumb idea.

Loved this week's episode of HIMYM though, S9 has plenty of ups and downs but when it's good it's awesome.

I do agree the later series are worse but I don't think it's a drastic difference, I found many of the early ep's to be cringeworthy at times, although the first 2 series or so were definitely the more believeable.... oddly enough, it's only in the last series that I've really gained any interest in what happens to the characters, and that's purely what happens between Marshall/Lily (although they obviously stay together). Never really cared about what happened to Ted in the "Oh no!" sense, Barney was more of comic relief than anything, Robin has been up/down.

It's been so long since I've seen the early seasons that I don't really remember the cringeworthy moments. I'm sure they're there, though.

As for the characters, I completely agree. I'm only watching for the characters now. Honestly, Ted is the most interesting character emotionally. His storylines always get me. I find the moral redemption of Barney to be one of the most interesting plots on the show.

S9 has plenty of ups and downs but when it's good it's awesome.

True. This season is completely all over the place. When it's good, it's amazing, but those bad episodes (i.e. anything focusing on Marshall) are just terrible.

The first season does have a lot of really bad/awkward moments, but that makes sense for any first season. I think it's solid for the most part though.

And yea, that Marshall road trip thing was dreadful. I'm so glad it's over.

Marshall is a fantastic supporting character (my favorite character on the show, actually) but an awful leading character. He just doesn't have it in him. As much as I like Barney, I'm kind of annoyed that they made Ted look like a secondary character when the show was about him.

I saw Captain Phillips.

I quite liked it. Apparently, according to some of the crew of the Maersk Alabama it's not an exact (or even close) representation of the Captain, but it follows the book quite nicely. Tom Hanks turns in a great performance and there's some surprisingly good support from the actors playing the Somali pirates. Keeps you on the edge of your seat and it makes you feel sympathetic for the pirates...before the US Navy SEALs execute three of the four of them.

I saw Captain Phillips.

I quite liked it. Apparently, according to some of the crew of the Maersk Alabama it's not an exact (or even close) representation of the Captain, but it follows the book quite nicely. Tom Hanks turns in a great performance and there's some surprisingly good support from the actors playing the Somali pirates. Keeps you on the edge of your seat and it makes you feel sympathetic for the pirates...before the US Navy SEALs execute three of the four of them.

yeah, I read in an interview the guy, in real life was a real jerk, to put it lightly, but that Hanks acting of someone in shock was pretty nerve racking.

I started watching Friends about a month ago and I can say that I'm addicted to it (on s06e15 currently). My definite favorite comedy show of all time, would only be trailing Breaking Bad as my favorite show in general.

Just watching Young Buckethead Vol. 1 just now; interesting stuff. Most of Vol. 1 is footage of Buckethead when he was in Deli Creeps back in 1990-91. He already had, much like any decent guitarist I suppose, pretty much the whole package by the time he was in his early 20's; & he certainly moved around a lot more on stage then too.

Last edited:
Not sure if it was on Vol. 1, but I'm really fond of that backyard jam thing on the Young Buckethead set. Very fun.

Yeh, the backyard jam is on Vol. 1. You touch on my thoughts about the guy generally; Buckethead is genuinely an amusing guy. That aside, I was kind of hoping the two volumes would put Buckethead in some sort of context i.e. have something, other than the blurb inside the DVD, about him. But the four parts of Vol. 1 are just stand alone bits of video footage; other than saying when (& where) they were filmed, they don't say anything. Part of the whole mystique about the guy, I understand; but I was kind of hoping for more than just the footage. I really like the Deli Creeps stuff. Love his guitar sound back then.

Back