NOW WATCHING

So I've been binging on a series called Sins & Secrets on Netflix. I just finished watching it this weekend. I've always liked real life detective/forensic shows. I used to watch Forensic Files non-stop, but eventually got bored of the "Found dead person, found forensic evidence tying some person to crime, crime solved" formula of the show. What initially drew me to Sins & Secrets was that it stated highlighting a crime in a specific city and how that city/state doles out justice. A few episodes in you find out "justice" is doled out the same anywhere now-a-days. Investigation follows arrest, follows trial follows similar sentences.

What kept me watching was the TYPE of crimes! Seriously straight out of a SAW movie! Except REAL! Holy crap. I couldn't get over the fact each episode was able to escalate the sheer horror and shock value of the last. It does eventually plateau, but not for long.

My top three episodes have to be, hands down Knoxville, Anchorage and Omaha.

Knoxville tells the story of a young college couple and how they were kidnapped, repeatedly raped (yes both) and tortured the entire night culminating with the boyfriend being taken down to the train tracks and burned while the girl was shoved in a Trash can with a bag over her head left to suffocate.

Anchorage tells the story of three men who fell for the same stripper, all of them proposing marriage, she saying yes to all three, they all end up living in the same home at some point yet one ends up dead. If the love rectangle wasn't enough the man had sent his father a letter a week prior to his death stating if he was reading it it meant he was dead and it singled out who was responsible! WTF mate!

Finally Omaha tells the story of this young family with a son and a daughter who apparently had the perfect life in Omaha, but as the kids grew up the daughter clearly was the model citizen while the son became the stereotypical rebellious teenager. Eventually things between him and his dad get so heated that he tells his son to beat it. The son moves out and soon finds a girlfriend. The relantionship ends up being a stabilizing factor for him and is doing so well he is able to patch things up with his dad and move back in, but soon after both him and his father disappear. What follows next is so fucking unbelievable that I seriously don't want to spoil it, I mean HOLY fing tap-dancing Christ!
Here it is for the truly curious:
The cops quickly follow up with the boy's supposed gf only to find her in her trailer with another guy! they knock on the door, but no one opens. After an HOUR stand off they finally come out and as the cops search the trailer they find the son... alive. They take them all in for questioning and at first they play dumb. Then, out of nowhere the son tells officers he is ready to talk.

He tells them he knows where his father's body is. He relates the story that he wanted to borrow his father's car and when his father unexpectedly comes home and sees him taking the car starts beating on him like the good ol' days. He fights back and says that one of his blows must have struck a soft spot in his father's head because he fell dead. He recruited his gf and "roommate" to help dispose of the body.

When the police find the body in the trunk of the father's car sure enough he was beaten, but now with fists, but with three different blunt instruments! As the investigators start digging they find out that when the son moved out he went to Mississippi and hung out with a cousin and his best friend. When cops pay the teens a visit they crumbled instantly and what they confess to is utterly amazing.

They state that sure enough the boy moved to Mississippi and was shortly joined by his gf, then she left, when she came back she had the boy's father's name tattooed on her chest! She had been shacking up with the dude's father! While he was pissed at first he eventually forgives her, but he wasn't so forgiving with his dad. He calls his cousin and the cousin's best friend and tells them to join him on a road trip. Half way to Omaha he reveals that he wants them to help him kill his dad... they agree! When he gets home he tells his sister what his father did and what they were planning to do and she agrees! She even recruits her boyfriend! When mom comes home the 7 tell her what is up and she too agrees! She says they can use the house, but to please not make a mess! WTF?! 8... EIGHT people conspired to kill this man and at no point did any of them say, "Maybe we shouldn't do this." or turn to the supposed girlfriend and call her out as the slut that she was as she had been with the son, the father and was currently shacking up with a new "roommate/friend with benefits/boyfriend!" All eight were involved and the real kicker... the girlfriend turned up pregnant! Who's the daddy? Who the fuck knows! If it was the son's or the dad's the DNA test will be very difficult to verify and she had also been with that third dude!

What a great series! Can't wait for more episodes.

In comparison to the other two new trilogy films, I didn't think Sith was so bad. At least it's the only one of the three I don't hate.

It's bigger, it's darker, it's more spectacular....but I can't help feeling it loses a bit of the fun.

Watched Ancherman 2: The legend continues.

Overall a weaker film than the first, WAY more low points and at times aimless. I felt the first was more successful in being a straight out dumb comedy. This one tried to be a tad more "high brow" poking fun at CNN, Ice Castles and other more obscure pop culture references. Still worth watching BECAUSE of its jab at CNN and other supposed news networks, but don't expect to laugh as much as in the first film.

I've recently started watching Friends although I don't have that much time to do it frequently. s01e14 currently. Loving it. Very funny show, its fame doesn't come out of nowhere.

Last edited:
I watched Friends last year, really great show. It gets even better during the 2nd season.

This show looks good, starts Jan 10 on SyFy

Helix is an intense thriller about a team of scientists from the Centers for Disease Control who travel to a high-tech research facility in the Arctic to investigate a possible disease outbreak, only to find themselves pulled into a terrifying life-and-death struggle that holds the key to mankind's salvation...or total annihilation.

Premiering in January 2014, Helix is the product of some of the biggest names in genre television, starting with Executive Producer Ronald D. Moore (Battlestar Galactica). Also Executive Producing are Lynda Obst (Contact) and Steven Maeda (Lost, CSI: Miami, The X-Files).

Just finished season 8 of 'How I Met Your Mother'. Finally, I'm somewhat caught up with this show. Just need to catch myself up with season 9 (which shouldn't be hard at all) and I'm good!

Just finished season 8 of 'How I Met Your Mother'. Finally, I'm somewhat caught up with this show. Just need to catch myself up with season 9 (which shouldn't be hard at all) and I'm good!

I still watch that show! Honestly, by Season 8 I started tuning out. I pretty much just watch to keep up with the relationships. I care about the characters more than I find it funny. Still a great cast, though.

I've seen a lot of movies so far this year. Just got back from watching "Her", which is an absolutely brilliant film. A simply magic piece of storytelling.

There was a period for me where I didn't watch it and I became disinterested but I picked up on watching it again and I'm very glad I did. I think the characters are the best part of the show. They're what make the show what it is. Everything they go through and the relationships. I feel like I can even relate to them sometimes. And of course the little cute and funny bits too. The show constantly makes me laugh.

My family discovered it on Netflix over the holidays.
I swear it's the only thing that's been on our TV since.

And it is very fun. Can't believe I've never watched it before.

Back