NOW READING

I could not finish God Emperor of Dune either. But i did enjoy House Atreides.
UPDATE: I was mistaken. I never read House Atreides. I read the Butlerian Jihad because chronologically it is the 1st in the series. Enjoyed the book. Once I am through reading Brad Thor's Scot Harvath series, I will finish the Dune series.

Last edited:
Just finished reading Sycamore Row by John Grisham. It is the sequel to A Time to Kill. Throughout the book, even though I was enjoying it, i kept thinking the case was not earth shattering or heart wrenching like the first one was. But at the end of the book, that changed when i found out how the book got its' title.

Just finished reading Sycamore Row by John Grisham. It is the sequel to A Time to Kill. Throughout the book, even though I was enjoying it, i kept thinking the case was not earth shattering or heart wrenching like the first one was. But at the end of the book, that changed when i found out how the book got its' title.

I actually bought and read A Time to Kill, because I saw the sequel in the bookstore and I wanted to read both... However A Time to Kill didn't seem that great to me, so I didn't contine, in the end. I realise it was his first book etc. etc., but I expected more. I have to try something else by him, I guess and hope it'll be better.

Just finished Independence Day Silent Zone by Stephen Molstad. It is a prequel to the first film. Remember the goofy Dr. Okun played by Brent Spiner who was in charge of the lab in Area 51? This book is his story about back when he was first assigned to Area 51 in the 70's.
Good job of combining UFO history with the Independence Day saga.

Just finished Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Surprised how good it was at bringing me back into that dark world. Complaint I have is because it is a screenplay (not a novel) it was a fast read. Will discuss further after more read it. Don't want to spoil anything.
Don't see how WB can make a movie TRILOGY around this one screenplay. Too short (but they are talking about it)

Hope they fucking won't.

It's not so much that the story is dumb (but it is). It's that the main characters (the kids) are only really defined by their parents and aren't their own characters. Also I read a lot of HP fanfics and Albus being sorted into Slytherin annoys me greatly. Also the time-travel parts are full of paradoxes.

That's actually pretty true by my experience. Stuff like Bob Dylan is really distracting when you're trying to concentrate on something else.

Finished the book Family Legacy by Jack O'Halloran. He is the son of Albert Anastasia, the head of Murder, Inc. They were the assassination arm of La Cosa Nostra.
This is an autobiography of Jack, but told from a fictional point of view. Very good first book which leads into
the Kennedy Assassination
You might remember Jack as playing Non in the first two Superman films with Christopher Reeve.

Currently reading Heretics of Dune (yes, ten years later I finally finished God Emperor)

Also, on the side, I began with Brideshead Revisited. Hope it's gonna be good. :)

So, after two days I'm nearing two thirds in Brideshead. I read it in English, since I've managed to find only the original... And though it's a challenge, I'm certainly loving it!

Last and least came the question of Rex's religion. He had once attended a royal wedding in Madrid, and he wanted something of the kind for himself.
'That's one thing your Church can do,' he said, 'put on a good show. You never saw anything to equal the cardinals. How many do you have in England?'
'Only one, darling.'
'Only one? Can we hire some others from abroad?'
It was then explained to him that a mixed marriage was a very unostentatious affair. 'How d'you mean "mixed";' I'm not a ni**er or anything.'
'No, darling, between a Catholic and a Protestant.'
'Oh, that? Well, if that's all, it's soon unmixed. I'll become a Catholic. What does one have to do?'
Lady Marchmain was dismayed and perplexed by this new development; it was no good her telling herself that in charity she must assume his good faith; it brought back memories of another courtship and another conversion.
'Rex,' she said. 'I sometimes wonder if you realize how big a thing you are taking on in the Faith. It would be very wicked to take a step like this without believing sincerely.'
He was masterly in his treatment of her.
'I don't pretend to be a very devout man,' he said, 'nor much of a theologian, but I know it's a bad plan to have two religions in one house. A man needs a religion. If your Church is good enough for Julia, it's good enough for me.'
'Very well,' she said, 'I will see about having you instructed.'
'Look, Lady Marchmain, I have the time. Instruction will be wasted on me. Just you give me the form and I'll sign on the dotted line.'
'It usually takes some months - often a lifetime.' 'Well, I'm a quick learner. Try me.'
So Rex was sent to Farm Street to Father Mowbray, a priest renowned for his triumphs with obdurate catechumens. After the third interview he came to tea with Lady Marchmain.
'Well, how do you find my future son-in-law?'
'He's the most difficult convert I have ever met.'
'Oh dear, I thought he was going to make it so easy.'
'That's exactly it. I can't get anywhere near him. He doesn't seem to have the least intellectual curiosity or natural piety.
'The first day I wanted to find out what sort of religious life he had till now, so I asked him what he meant by prayer. He said: "I don't mean anything. You tell me." I tried to, in a few words, and he said: "Right. So much for prayer; What's the next thing?" I gave him the catechism to take away. Yesterday I asked him whether Our Lord had more than one nature. He said: "Just as many as you say, Father."
'Then again I asked him: "Supposing the Pope looked up and saw a cloud and said 'It's going to rain', would that be bound to happen?" "Oh, yes, Father." "But supposing it didn't?" He thought a moment and said, "I suppose it would be sort of raining spiritually, only we were too sinful to see it."
'Lady Marchmain, he doesn't correspond to any degree of paganism known to the missionaries.'
'Julia,' said Lady Marchmain, when the priest had gone, 'are you sure that Rex isn't doing this thing purely with the idea of pleasing us?'
'I don't think it enters his head,' said Julia.
'He's really sincere in his conversion?'
'He's absolutely determined to become a Catholic, mummy,' and to herself she said:
'In her long history the Church must have had some pretty queer converts. I don't suppose all Clovis's army were exactly Catholic-minded. One more won't hurt.'
Next week the Jesuit came to tea again. It was the Easter holidays and Cordelia was there, too.
'Lady Marchmain,' he said. 'You should have chosen one of the younger fathers for this task. I shall be dead long before Rex is a Catholic.'

After I'll finish it, we're going to watch the 1981 BBC adaptation - supposedly it's as good as the book itself and according to some, even better.

About 50 pages into Dave Eggers' A Hologram for the King, and enjoying it immensely so far despite it's scattershot, minimalist style. Zeitoun is the only Eggers book I don't really like, so I expect this will be quite good.

I've just started The Second World War by Antony Beevor. My knowledge of WWII is pretty pedestrian, despite it being my favourite historical subject, so I thought I might brush up on some info!

It's about 950 pages long, so it should keep me pre-occupied for a while.

It's not about Idris Alba himself. I have absolutely nothing against him. It's more about totally disregarding the physical description of the character in the book.

If this is accurate, the film will be a SEQUEL (!?) to the books and the TV series a prequel? Can you say disaster? Who thought this would be a good idea? Why not a more direct adaptation attempt like the lord of the rings films?

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-f...n-the-works-idris-elba-will-return-as-a145323

Last edited:
About 50 pages into Dave Eggers' A Hologram for the King, and enjoying it immensely so far despite it's scattershot, minimalist style. Zeitoun is the only Eggers book I don't really like, so I expect this will be quite good.

Follow-up: I was wrong. This book was an incredible slow-burn for nothing. Very disappointed in the ending, or lack there-of.

Pop Goes To Court by Brian Southall. Cool history of court cases involving musicians. The Beatles legally breaking up, the Ozzy and Priest hidden/backwards messages that caused fans to kill themselves trials, Hendrix relatives fighting over his money. There are also chapters about Elton John, Liberace, Morrisey, and many others.

Back