NOW READING

Mindhunter by John Douglas. 1 of the founders of the FBI's behavioral science unit. Talks about the serial killers he interviewed in prison, as well as the ones he helped catch.

Just finished reading Winter of the World - the second book from Ken Follett's Century Trilogy. The first book of the trilogy, Fall of Giants, was significantly superior. Follett can tell interesting stories, but his plot twists are ridiculously clumsy and some of his characters are extremely flat. It wouldn't be a lie to say that my enthusiasm for the third book (Edge of Eternity) has dampened and that Winter of the World was a disappointment.
If you have to read one Follett book, it should be Pillars of the Earth.

Just finished Miles Davis's autobiography. If I never even seen the book again, it would still be too soon.

EDIT: Okay, I have just read about 20 pages of Keith Richards's Life and it's something completely different.

Last edited:
War Hawk - 2nd book in the Tucker Wayne series by James Rollins. Dog lovers will appreciate this book series about an ex-army ranger and his K9

Follett can tell interesting stories, but his plot twists are ridiculously clumsy and some of his characters are extremely flat.

You sumarized it perfectly - and that is the main reason why I won't finish the trilogy. I've only read first book (Fall of the Giants) and I remember how excited I was before the reading. It seamed like a really collosal trilogy when I've started reading but the shallowness of the plot ruined it for me.

Last book I've read (and didn't finish) is Martin's A Dance of Dragons. Since the TV show overpassed the book in story I doubt I'll ever finish it. Also last few thrillers that I've read were all Scandinavian and it seems like they're only people who write "good" thrillers nowdays. But they also became predictable as hell so I'm staying out of those too...

Last book that I was really impressed and couldn't stop reading is Lyudmila Ulitskaya's - Daniel Stein, interpreter. I see literary taste is quite different on this forum, but if you want to read something completely different, I surely recomend it.

U.S. Marshalls: Inside America's Most Storied Law Enforcement Agency by Mike Earp (don't think there's a relation to Wyatt Earp). Crazy stories about what U.S. Marshalls have gone through on various captures of bad guys.

the lastest in the series of The Oregon Files by Clive Cussler called The Emperor's Revenge.
About an ex-CIA agent who has a very ugly old boat but hidden inside is state of the art everything. Works for hire with his crew from all over the world to go anywhere on the seas to stop bad guys.
Written by the master of adventure Clive Cussler.

Witness To Nuremberg by Richard Sonnenfeldt. He was the Chief Translator for the Nuremberg trials. He interviewed Goering extensively.

Started reading Justin Cronin's The Passage. So far it's a slow burn, taking a lot of time to set the stage so don't really know what it's about. Kinda The Stand-y so far.

Reading Poseidon's Wake by Alastair Reynolds. Finally. Read everything he's written but been lagging behind considerably with my reading because of... having a life, I guess.

Just finished the new Harry Potter book.

Not sure if I liked it. I mean, it was an enjoyable read but there were a lot of story things that seemed somewhat unnecessary. The story as a whole didn't really add much to the first 7 and feels like a less satisfying conclusion. I also didn't like how focused it was on time travel. That said, for what it was and forgetting how it impacts the other books, it was a fun story and it was awesome getting to meet those characters again. I also had no problem picturing them as adults, so good work on that.

Also way too many plot conveniences.

Last edited:
Since the story is not written by JK Rowling, I'm not counting it as "new book". From what I read online, plot is super stupid. I've read better and more JKR-ish fan-fiction stories. Plus the casting for the play is horrible.

I'm still not sure what JKR's actual involvement was. Some sources say she came up with the story and let Jack Thorne write the script, others say she had nothing to do with any of it.

That's what JKR says herself, is that it's her story but the details were done by Thorne.

If I were JKR I'd start licensing the world like the EU was. She has final say, but let a few other authors take a crack at expanding the world.

Yep, I wouldn't mind that. There are a lot of great stories to be told in that universe still. The Star Wars EU was a great idea when it seemed like no more movies would be made.

Started reading Justin Cronin's The Passage. So far it's a slow burn, taking a lot of time to set the stage so don't really know what it's about. Kinda The Stand-y so far.
Read about 80% of it so far, it's really fucking long. And the next two books are just as long, I'd say about 3000 pages for the whole trilogy, gonna take me ages to finish :D

It's The Stand meets The Strain, with a slight YA vibe of, say The Hunger Games. I think it'd make a cool TV show. It's a bit slow in places, lots of inner feelings description, not much description of how the characters look like :p But it's helping me push through my "reader's block", so I don't mind.

13641151_10154044490148075_780942151208310317_o.jpg

Back