No Prayer for the Dying could have been Amazing

SirRobbins

Ancient Mariner
if it wasn't for the way Bruce was singing. I always felt what brought this album down was Bruce's vocal performance on this record. The music is spectacular and there are tons of great riffs and melodies in it. Many of the songs are great but the thing that holds me back on a high rating are the vocals. If Bruce had been singing the songs the way he did Seventh Son or Somewhere in Time, it'd be a top 5 for me. Does anyone else feel the vocals are likely what ruined it for them? I felt the same way as Fear of the Dark. None the less, NPFTD is still better than NOTB :D

I don't mind Bruce's singing on either of the 90's albums. Simple fact is: the songwriting was not very good. There are some good songs on NPFTD and there are some good riffs, but the sum of its parts is something decidedly less than stellar.

I think the album is amazing the way it is, really. Not trying to sound like a fan boy, but i love every single Maiden album and cannot choose a favourite :edmetal:

Some do have a bigger sentimental value, but i never let that get in the way of the music

I gotta agree with most points of view here:
I would have preferred less of the style Bruce adopts here.
The songwriting isn't up to Maidens usual standards.
The album is still worth a regular listen

I have no problem with the singing - actually appreciate the variance to other albums and its suited for the material.
I also think the songs are not that bad in the main, it's just the album lacks a standout track.
The BIG problem is the production, it's so flat and devoid of any dynamics - but I guess we all know about that.

Mother Russia would be the closest thing to a standout track but I know what you mean. No prayer for the dying is a great song though and fate's warning is too

Mother Russia is actually one of the lesser songs for me. It feels like they felt obligated to put together an "epic" sounding track.

With a little more care and effort in the songwriting, fates warning could have been an elite Maiden song. It is my favorite off the album. Like some other songs on npftd , there is untapped potential. Fates warning in particular to me, suffers from a chorus that doesn't really flow, and seems to be crafted with less care than songs on the previous albums. The melody in the "volcano erupts" part, for example, is vintage Maiden. The raspy vocal style is just one of No Prayers shortcomings.

The raspy vocal style works and is interesting because it shows another aspect of Bruce's range, and I like it.

Mother Russia is my favorite song on the album, but only because of the music. The lyrics and vocal melodies could've been better.

I have always been fond of the title track.
I am amazed that they didn't release it as a third single from the album, at least in the UK as the previous two were both top 3 hits!

To me, the album is among the lesser efforts from Maiden, for several reasons. One being Bruce's singing style here, which fits on some songs and feels right out of place in others.

But the main thing is that the album has no songs that I feel the need to listen to every day. All other Maiden albums have at least one great song. Plus, the album has a serious contender for the worst Maiden song ever (The Assassin - what were they thinking?).

His vocal style and the lyrics were, again what kept me from giving it a high rating. Musically, I LOVE it! I prefer NPFTD over FOTD as an album overall too. Just my views

Back